[GUIDE] Kassadin the Rift-walker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A U L

05-31-2010

It's not a build I use, but I like that it's not just another AP build. I appreciate seeing someone capitalize off his ability to Riftwalk and making a build around that. I too am a Kassadin player, click on my name and you'll see posts I've done about him and one where I mention my entire build and all that jazz. I focus on his all around versatility. I agree with you in that HP is important for him. Next to that I actually feel movement is a very good thing. I don't riftwalk as much as you do, but I do run right into the fray quite often and run out. Of course I use up the Rift in battles. I'm also impressed with your masteries, mine are also 9/0/21. It's good to see people finally thinking outside the box with this very versatile character.

eSSentialplays

05-31-2010

Nothing compares to having a 2.4s cool-down on Rift-walk. Seriously, heh.

The Split Rose

06-06-2010

Well...x.x I don't know about everyone else, but I'd just like to say that I'm loving your build, Teague. I've had nothing but good games since I started using it. lol Real fun is solo'ing against Ryze and Mundo in a 3v5 and still slaughtering them.

Would just like to say, thanks a lot for sharing your insight on Kass. ^ ^

Cereal

Adjudicator

06-06-2010

Yeh, I build very similarly and wholeheartedly agree that pulse is a great idea to get first. You mention the fact that it damages more than one target, but let's not let your readers forget that it SLOWS! The slow is infinitely more useful than the silence [at beginning of game, sometimes late game if they dont have cc] , even if it didn't do any damage, and even more so when you actually have a lane partner.

I'll often have teammates cast AT base at start of game, simply to have a pulse ready to go, cuz if I have a strong lanemate and a pulse up at start of game, first blood is a real possibility AND even if it doesn't happen, it's not like I'm at a loss becuase I couldn't use one little null sphere. Lastly, damage at level 3 (lvl 2 pulse if you grabbed it first) all of a sudden becomes significant (again for MORE THAN ONE target) and even the slow is slightly increased.

AIM7Sparrow

06-07-2010

First point into Force Pulse? You do not understand this game and certainly are not qualified to be writing a guide. Please delete this right away.

Cereal

Adjudicator

06-07-2010

Sniperness, what is the extreme advantage you apparently see in putting it into null? I'm pretty sure the slow and damaging multiple targets argument holds water. So, how is it that you find null sphere to be so much better that it's stupid to do force pulse first?

EnygmaSoul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2010

The one advantage Null Sphere has over force pulse is that it has a significantly longer range, which makes it easier to use from the brush or from behind your own creep cover - all in all, it is a SAFER form of harassment than force pulses. Assuming your intention is to actively harass.

Force Pulse as a farming and defensive mechanism makes sense - I had never considered taking it at level 1 before, but you make good arguments. I think i'm going to start delaying my first skill point until I see my lane opponents, as that will tell me if I need the safety of Null's extra range, as well as how swiftly Force Pulse is likely to charge.

PhoenixBomb

06-07-2010

I agree with Sniperness, tbh. Firstly, Kass is so flippin weak early game that the usefulness of his Q or his E in champ combat are moot points; you don't want to be getting into fights at all. That said, there are two major reasons I always take Q first, them being...

1.) Safer last hitting of creeps and

2.) IF you're going to do an early team fight, you need the range for safety since you don't have rift. His pulse is more useful due to the slow, yes, but the range it requires you to be at is waaaaay too risky.

Cereal

Adjudicator

06-07-2010

Thanks for the responses guys. EnygmaSoul, yah that's wise. I do often wait to see my lane partner at least and many times what champs I'm laning against. If for instance it's Garen or some tank, then yah, I'll just get null sphere first.

BUT not to last hit creeps, honestly how many creeps are you going to last hit with it ? Are you buying mana regen to make this more viable, if so I think your money can be better spent. It's not that I never last hit a creep, it's just that it should happen so infrequently that that is a mega moot point, more so than you guys talking about how you shouldn't engage. Also, imo seeing Kass dump his silence on a creep means go attack him. I'd rather have it ready and use it on the champ with no/lo regen getting him "soft" for lvl 6.

PhoenixBomb: as you to your #2 I kinda agree. With kass's frailty you gotta play very situationally, so sometimes you are right, but if I NEED that safety versus my lane I'm not going to engage in first place. Also, I do wait in lane to pick first. So, let's say I have a lanemate and there an annie top (for some reason) I'll get nuill to silence her ONLY dmg worth talking about (good annie at level 1 willl get pyro stun up at base). BUT then again, if she flashes or we are slowed by the other guy, pulse would have gotten us the kill because we'd be able to catch her, AND if I hit both champs with it, sometimes finish off the second. It sounds crazy, but my early game Kass is getting better and better.

Also, I often get exhuast ignite, so those help a ton. Not at lvl 1, but once you have null sphere, having a character silenced and blinded is SO fun, especially since I'm burst damage. Pretty sure I've killed people so fast they haven't been able to do any dmg to me because of null/exhaust

eSSentialplays

06-07-2010

Some great discussion going on here, folks. This is the reason I do not "spell it out" in a guide. I prefer people to use the guide as a basis for a play-style, not a basis for how to play. They may sound similar, but are drastically different things.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying playing Kassadin, Alassea and Cereal. I keep remembering my early ELO days. I was playing Glassadin with a Pure AP build and boy was I feared on the battle field. I started to progress up through the ELO quite quickly and as my opponents became more difficult to play against, I began to realize there were people who knew how to shut Glassadin down, hard.

That was when the joy of playing Kassadin began to turn into frustration. Getting focused with CC and picked off so easily began to grate on my nerves. So I started to adapt; this was my first real step into understanding the complex machine we know as LoL.

I started to wait on my first skill point until I saw what my lane offered, so I could decide one of two things: stay in this lane and place my first skill point accordingly or switch lanes if I knew it was going to be rough. I started to learn who the various "carry" heroes were, if there was one in my lane and how to build against that carry, without crippling my own potential (this is the most rewarding part of the game to me).

I began to prioritize targets, based on what they brought to a team-fight. Who to silence, how to use Force Pulse to slow as many targets as possible, when to Rift-walk out of the fight. When to chase. All these things started to completely change the game for me.

After playing nearly 250 games I decided it was time to sit down and write a guide focused on being effective at participating in a team fight and the game, not just trying to one-man the show. A large mana pool was at the top of my list, as abusing Rift-walk's potential was a key part of my plan. Second was bolstering my survivability, as a dead Kassadin is not going to silence or slow anyone. Lastly, the Ability Power items that had synergy with the play-style; a difficult final step.

All in all, I'm still having fun with Kassadin. I put this squarely on my decision to strengthen my play-style weaknesses and the champion's weaknesses through smarter play and smarter item choices.

To end this little blurb with a quote: "Practise and n_joy." -Ellaskins (djtutor.com)

P.S., the typos in the quote are meant to be there. =)