Locodoco's guide to Tristana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YellowSnowsicle

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Promise View Post
Doan's Shield is fail past level 8. Doran's Blade is not nearly as good early game, but the fact that its use continues into later in the game will have me sold on Doran's Blade over Doran's Shield on Tristana forever.
Haha no.

Dorans items are SOLELY for early lane domination. That's it. There is no other reason to get them. They provide no late game benefits nor do they upgrade into something more useful.

Doran's shield provides more regen than doran's blade, and it has the added benefit of not needing to autoattack (aka push your lane like an idiot). In addition, the extra armor and hp regen over doran's blade means that a trist with shield will outlane a trist with blade.

The Promise

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystream92 View Post
Haha no.

Dorans items are SOLELY for early lane domination. That's it. There is no other reason to get them. They provide no late game benefits nor do they upgrade into something more useful.

Doran's shield provides more regen than doran's blade, and it has the added benefit of not needing to autoattack (aka push your lane like an idiot). In addition, the extra armor and hp regen over doran's blade means that a trist with shield will outlane a trist with blade.
I have yet to be satisfied with using the Shield on Trist, especially when I am not soloing. I only buy into the Shield idea on Trist when they have an Ashe or other champ that can harass without punishment when I am soloing.

-invokes personal preference-

Locodoco

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Promise View Post
I never buy Elixers. I just don't like the feel of them. I don't like using any kind of duration buff (other than Nashor). I see them as something I start relying on, and when I don't have them I become gimped. I would rather spend the time and gold being self-sufficient and not relying on Lizard and Elixers to get my damage to where I need it. In addition, having IE+Red+Green Elixers is very much an ideal situation. You would have to gank quite a bit to get to that by 18min, which just doesn't fit into my playstyle.

As Trist I pushish their solo for ganking by taking their mid tower, then I proceed to gank and take their top and bottom towers. I just don't play Trist as a klling machine until later in the game. I get my team an early tower advantage, as that gets your team a bigger advantage than getting a huge mid game carry than 4-shots heroes, but gets so thoroughly focused that she can't do anything past that first team fight. It's happened quite often, and its frustrating to be called bad because you are so good in the beginning of the mid-game that you can't do anything after than because you just get trained into oblivion.

I get the early LW for towers, and the fact that I just don't like rushing Infinity. I generally don't get a Lizard buff, as there are a lot of Warwicks right now, not to mention that a lot of other champs get just as much out of it (Stupid Mords thinking they need Lizard), and Mallet is a very good survivability item as well.

As for getting Explosive at 1 rather than Rocket Jump, I just don't see why. Solo First Blood is not easy, and I just don't see Jump making it much easier. Jump is an escape and a chase for me, not a damage ability unless I am laning bot with my friend, so I only take one point in it, because even at max rank, a 15sec CD isn't going to let me use it twice if I am being chased or chasing. Also, with my play style, namely taking towers as quickly as I can, Explosive gets me to towers faster than any other champ in the game, and Rapid Fire then kills the tower.

Different playstyles are different I suppose.
You never buy elixars? That's where u stray off the course,elixars are hands down the single most cost effective items in game and mid-late game that 300 gold on green pot can often be the deciding factor as for the 18 minute condition u dont need to gank quite a bit at all 3 kills + 120 cs is all u need by than to have ie rank 2 boots doran's and an elixar.

Punishing thier solo for ganking? A decent trist won't leave her lane until the other solo is dead or the lane is well pushed and who are u really punishing by staying mid and pushing the tower?thier team that might lose a tower or your team that might lose the fight at the sidelane and also lose the tower?after a successful early gank at a sidelane it usually also means the outer tower is also gone.

If the trist is getting focused to a point where she's not being able to put out enough damage than thats not her fault(unless she's going in before the tank does) its the tank's and this is a guide on how to play trist not how to teach people to tank properly.

As for the lizard buff imho trist benefits the most from it and if ur playing agasint the ww and the buffs arent warded again thats not ur fault that's ur support's fault

And it makes no sense to get LW early for towers when you do more damage with BF sword than an LW.

I feel as if im more of a premade-vent player and you're trying to play trist in a solo que enviroment.Add me in game and i'll be more than glad to show u how i play trist and u can agree to disagree after you've seen me play

ColZSwag

04-21-2010

IMO LW sucks on trist unless they are stackign some sort of armor
justification= a good trist already has like 25 armor pen from runes and masteries.

imo rushing IE is good. and sometimes rushing Occult is better.
justification= Trist is probobly one of the top gankers in the game. if not the best. Running up stacks on ur occult, killing and helping other lanes, and getting tons of cash > killing 1 tower

imo Frozen mallet is bad in most or all situations. and phage is ok.
it costs like 4 k. and survivablity is never the goal of a carry. especially the longest ranged carry in the game. ur team should never let anyone near u, and u should hit so hard, that no one would want to be near u anyways

It is well understood that shield is better than sword. trying to justify that any of dorans items have an effect on late game is ridiculous. yes sword will be SLIGHTLY more effective late game. but ur gonna sell that anyways.

Also, elixirs are good, but i dont get them as early as loco. LOL i dont think its worth it, i usually sell my dorans to create space for the double pots though.

Cool

Locodoco

04-21-2010

colz knows whats up
as for occult it's really situational
vs a proper team it's not uncommon for you to die even when u win the teamfight or a gank so occult is a bit iffy in my opinion.
you rly shouldn't be making pit stops on your way to ie it's just too good not get it asap

Tons Of Šamage

01-14-2011

Dorans Blade
What??
????
PROFIT!!

Polymath

01-15-2011

I don't even buy Last Whisper at all unless I'm being forced (by positioning/team comps/item builds) to attack champions who are stacking armor. I can usually abuse Tristana's range and mobility to hit squishies. I like stacking more crit and AD and flat armor pen once you have Infinity Edge, sooo

Ghostblade ftw

Of course if you have to attack armored targets for whatever reason go ahead and get a LW after your IE

Maxmatical

01-15-2011

This guide is pretty awesome, just a few questions:

I start with 3x Doran's blade, rush IE, zerker/mercury treads, green elixir then LW. Afterwards, should I keep buying Green elixir? Or get Phantom Dancer? Also, what should my end game build look like (if it lasts that long), should it be like:
-IE
-LW
-phantom dancer
-black cleaver
-bloodthirster
-guardian angel

Secondly, how often do/should you use W? Do you use it offensively, jump into a teamfight, hope for a kill then jump again or mostly as an escape/chase mechanism?

AutomobileX

01-15-2011

Use W to chase, escape only, and use it as a mini nuke in 1 v 1s, but it's better to save it for chasing or escaping, the damage is just a plus.

I'm having trouble with the item build too, after I get my doran's blade, boots2, and infinity's edge I don't know what to get...I usually stack 2-3 avarice blades so I crit as much as possible (with a random vamp septre in between when I have spare gold), then I grab myself a ghostblade or black cleaver and end up with starks or bloodthirster.

Ethesen

01-15-2011

You know that Loco wrote this guide when he wasn't even 30 yet (level)...