[Guide] Kennen - 1.21Gigawatts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2010

Maelstrom doesn't even come CLOSE to crowstorm, don't kid yourself it's a terrible ultimate. Read carefully. it strikes one enemy champion every .5 seconds. One, ONE not two, three, or even five like BUT ONE. No matter how many people are in the radius, ONE will be hit AT A TIME every .5 seconds.

It's passibly decent for getting that stunning mark on a person, you'll stun them all one after the other, IF you don't get gibed in .5 seconds. Kennen's Ult is only useful in a rout, because otherwise we all know he's squishy. The other team knows he squishy, if he even puts one toe over the line of scrimmage he'll be sacked down into the underworld.

Kennen is a harraser and cleanup character, nothing more.

Monox1de

04-22-2010

get the golem buff

regens your energy faster

amazingly funsies with full CDR and the Golem buff

Trollgasm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-22-2010

Really great guide gonna try it out +1 for the guide!

Rhetorical Hippo

04-23-2010

I've taken some time to respond to the criticism of Maelstrom as an ultimate ability and I'd like to again defend it as a poor man's Crow-Storm and here's why.

While I will grant that it gets fairly lousy AP scaling it makes up for this by allowing you to victimize everyone caught in the radius at the same time. In counter-balance to the AP scaling, you're going to get multiple bolts on each champion. Let's assume we have a Rank 3 ultimate and a very modest 200 AP and we hit the champion with 2 of the possible 3 bolts. That's just over 580 damage before magic resist is applied and also adds a Mark of the Storm. Not to mention this happens in 1 second and I am free to act during this time. I can actually burst HARDER than Crow-storm allows if done properly. I will not argue that Crow-storm does more damage, but situationally speaking I can unload everything I need to right away without walking around and allowing myself to get wailed on as I wait for my damage to go out.

What I feel really puts this skill over the top is the ridiculous combo potential it has. If you Rush into a group of people, pop your Maelstrom and then promptly Surge, congrats, you've just stunned everyone in range! This can literally happen in under a second. On top of being able to stun everyone you can get your paws on, you have time to smell the roses and toss a shuriken or two while you teammate whale on everyone who would have surely been taken below half HP from the pounding you just handed them.

I really cant emphasize enough how quickly you can make people pay for being careless. Kennen is about opportunity, not aggression. Learn to harass without putting yourself at too great a risk and the scoreboard's the limit! Calling Kennen "nothing more than a harasser and clean-up character" is like calling Alistar "Just a dude that headbutts".

Viro Melchior

04-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Bruce View Post

In my experience, Kennen is not a very good back-door hero but he IS capable of really quick and effective pushes. He eats through creeps like no one's business, second only to Anivia, and all his abilities are essentially free to use.
You forgot Singed. That guy can not just clear on tiny spot of creeps (Anivia does spot control faster), but run an entire lane with 420+ movespeed, and leave only cannons and supercreeps alive.

MaTTiMeX

04-24-2010

You get a +1 for the Back To The Future reference. Great guide as well, really opened my eyes a lot more to the little ninja! Thanks a ton!

Rhetorical Hippo

04-24-2010

Appreciate the kind words, MaTTiMeX! Glad someone was able to catch the tribute-title

Also, I completely agree Viro, about Singed. It's just so rare to see him actually standing around creep farming that I dont really notice when he zooms down a lane and mows down minions.

Kritara

04-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Bruce View Post
While I will grant that it gets fairly lousy AP scaling it makes up for this by allowing you to victimize everyone caught in the radius at the same time.
Ok, so appariently you didn't read why Maelstrom is a crappy ultimate. Let me reiterate. MAELSTROM HITS ONE TARGET EVERY .5 SECONDS. I repeat ONE TARGET EVERY .5 SECONDS, once more; ONE TARGET EVERY .5 SECONDS.

Edit: To be fair, I just looked you up in game. Lvl 26 with only 99 wins, now don't take this wrong but that leads me to assume your still in the low elo bracket. That said, it's probably why your writing in this style. Sadly, you cannot do this in upper elo games or Kennen WILL DIE in seconds. Yes he can harrass, but if you show your little yordie face in a team fight you will be destroyed. Smart people target squishies, a dps Kennen is as squishy as they come.

Rhetorical Hippo

04-25-2010

I totally understand it targets one at a time, but that it attacks every .5 seconds. That's still really freaking quick to unload a lot of damage.

I think you are assuming I go around hunting down people and enforcing my will and bringing large amounts of pain and acting like Ryze in practice games. I'm definitely not. My success with Kennen comes from taking opportunity.

Kennen is very much squishy early game however with not needing to rely on mana you can keep your own reasonable survivability. Adjusting for situations I usually have over 3000 HP, closer to 3500. That's plenty more than a lot of carries. If I were zipping into the middle of groups of people, sure, I'd expect to die a lot.

What I am trying to express with this guide is that you don't need to take risks, and still be successful this way. You seem to shove words in my mouth that I am getting into the thick of things and trying to be a carry and I am getting away with it because I am not a 30 with hundreds of wins. I assure you, this is not the case. I am an opportunist. This game isnt about hero kills and as long as the player understands that, and recognizes how to avoid obvious traps and has a moderate understanding of teamwork, there is NO REASON you should fall flat on your face with this guide.

Azing

04-25-2010

Remember that Energy Surge only refunds once. Anyways disagree with some aspects of your guide such as summoner skills and item choice. Cleanse is by far one of the best summoner skills to get on him specially when you get against more competent teams who will simply cc kennen before he can get off his surge and ult on the team, effectively cutting his burst and ruining his effectiveness in team fights.

Cleanse is used for kennen more for initiating his ult + Surge combo rather then actually escaping from situations. Once you get your stun off on the team you can get back and play much more defensively.

Item wise I find that after Zhonya's ring is a much better investment next after Rylai's. Rageblade I find to be more situation grab. If a team has a Sivir or other Attack speed boosting hero with a starks I find it to be a much better investment to go for, otherwise raw AP/survivability is better to get. I'd get a leviathan's (if you can get full stack) or another survivability item in your build somewhere.