AD vs AS Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AntSharK

01-19-2011

TL;DR - UDYR WANTS TO KNOW WHY HE LIKES GOING IAS INSTEAD OF AD.

I've been going IAS items on Udyr rather than AD. Even when going tiger instead of pheonix. Experience and whiny teammates tell me that IAS is better than AD, but I can't figure out any reason why this would be so.

To be fair, I haven't had much experience to and against AD Udyrs since Tiger change, but ALL udyrs I see opt to go IAS rather than AD.

Anyone can provide a nice logical explanation?

p.s.
- yes, I go IAS/AD after getting enough defensive items
- yesh someone is going to say that in theory, AD is better for tiger, IAS is better on pheonix. But even tiglers seem to go IAS (whether this is more effective or not, enlighten me).
- It is theoretically more sound to go both IAS and AD, but usually there aren't enough item slots past the tanky items, nor does the game last long enough.
- udyr should speak in 3rd person.

Lets Go Home

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2011

AD, because tiger > Pheonix.

KrupsMcGee

01-19-2011

I've seen only AD udyrs after the tiger change, and they have all owned. And by AD I mean ghostblade or last whisper then all defense.

Dark Sativa

01-19-2011

I'm a big fan of a bloodthirster, hexdrinker, lantern, GA build

Covenant

01-19-2011

It used to be different... I played Udyr forever, but he's been pretty drastically altered by a few small changes.

I'd honestly say that at this point, Udyr's build has been broken enough that going AD is not as valuable as it used to be. Yes, with a lot of AD his tiger will do a lot of damage, but even without much AD it'll do a lot of damage. The reason is this--AD is nice for all stances but it's biggest benefit was for Tiger's activation power. Now it's no longer that great, and Udyr's been nerfed elsewhere too (either directly or indirectly at killing some of his favorite items) making him harder and harder to be an invincible tank with.

So IAS helps magnify every benefit you get. He steals more with turtle, he stuns more easily with bear, he can chain stance-smashes better since his fists connect faster, making phoenix and tiger synergize more effectively. IAS items have also changed, especially Cleaver. Overall, whereas he used to be 'Okay' with IAS before and limping phoenix along now he's just 'Okay' with AD as well, so IAS looks better.

I'd say to make your choice between Black Cleaver and Bloodrazor. If you're facing high hitpoint units, bloodrazor. If you're facing high magic or armor resistance units, cleaver.

Both provide damage and attack speed. Tiger's on-activation attack got sack-tapped so it's a bit weaker at high AD but it's good at low AD, favoring a tankier build with some AS. You need each hit to hit hard, so not pure AS.

AS is good for all stances. Not as good as AD, sure, but there aren't as many good AD options. I think lifesteal is a bit of a waste. Spend 3000ish on a good attack item and the rest on defenses. Run fast in bear, isolate the target, and smash away.

SevenAteNine

01-19-2011

build your Udyr to fit the situation
its really about what item will give you the most value
chasing down a Nidalee? FoN + Tri-force
facing a team of tanks? Madred's Bloodrazor + Sunfire
squishies? Black Cleaver
hero with witts end raping your mana? Manamune

its less what items to build and more what item will give you more value because SO many items work for udyr in different situations

personally i like to start with a Heart of Gold + boots then get a megaton cloak and then adapt