Need help on Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etakon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

Hi all, sorry to bother you guys, I've been searching the forums for a Master Yi guide but couldnt find any. Fell in love with Master Yi the moment i saw him and i wanted to learn to be good at using him. lol.

So if there is any Master Yi users out there at all.. could you just share some tips on how to farm with him, runes to use, items to use, masteries, spells and stuff?

Much help appreciated :/

Tarion

09-06-2009

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...t=Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefx the Mighty View Post
Why is this called "professional"? Reads more like a pubstomp build, and judging by your screenshot it confirms that to me. Also, it's like you're building him as a carry and he doesn't have to be built as a carry at all.

I disagree with almost every item, rune and mastery choices in this guide. I think that those are pretty cookie-cutter choices for any DPS character, and not actually the best fit for Master Yi. [It works, don't get me wrong, but it's cookie-cutter for any DPS, not for Master Yi.]

Items:
-Phil Stone is trash and useless on Yi. The resale value of all gp5 items was nerfed; the regen is pointless.
-You don't need I.E. or Phantom Dancer, as both your attack speed and damage is very high as is.
-Greaves and Starks Fervor I agree with, but Starks Fervor should be the final purchase, and the final purchase should always vary with the team makeup of your enemies.

The following selections hinge on having either the 3% move speed mastery or 4.5% movespeed quint runes:

Strong Item selection for Yi:
Health Crystal -> Boots 1 -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe -> Greaves
Dagger -> Health Crystal -> Long Sword -> Phage Recipe [until it gets nerfed, stacking Phages is by far the most effective early/mid game build on any DPS that uses his/her autoattacks]
Sell the dagger and buy a Recurve Bow mid or late game -> Build Wit's End or Last Whisper depending on the opposing team makeup.
Starks Fervor or more survivability depending on the enemy team makeup.

Premise: Something like a giant's belt or double Phage lends you GREAT survivability, and it drastically increases the amount that the team has to focus you, otherwise you chop through them.

Runes:
-Aim for 20 armor penetration. This is VERY important.
-Try to get approximately 8-10% cooldown reduction
-Get yourself about ~100 mana extra if you can.
-alternatively, instead of cooldown reduction, get armor or magic resist, depending on what kills you more [casters or melee]

Skill build
Max Wuju Style first, ALWAYS. I can't believe you don't stress this enough. Wuju Style is a HUGE part of Yi's killing power and tower killing awesomeness. Cycle leveling Meditate/Alpha Strike as you please.

Jungling
By about Level 5 ish, you should be able to solo the Lizard for the lizard buff. By the time they nerf double Phage, this will be crucial to stack snares, until they fix snare stacking. Nobody should get away from you unless they're already at Tower/Turret range, and in that case, you're crazy like me anyways.

Ganking and farming should be at your discretion, but use your head and think about situations before you jump into them.

I'll add more/edit more as I think of it - but basically, this is how Yi is played in high level games.
That's the best post in it.

I'm running Yi with
Vampiric Scepter
Long Sword + Ruby Crystal into a Phage
Berserkers Greaves
Zeal into Phantom Dancer
B.F.Sword into Bloodthirster

Rarely get past that, but tend to pick up another B.F.Sword for Infinity Edge.

My Mastery is a 9/0/21 (Like the movement buff, and the cooldown). You don't actually need any more power, so more offensive is a bit of a waste. You still kill anything the moment you Highlander/Wuju it up.

I've got Flash and Teleport as my skills. Flash is a chasing skill, as is Alpha Strike. With both, you're basically inescapable. Which is nice. Teleport is nice because I like to heal lots while laning. You struggle with Mana, as its the only thing that is holding you back when you use Wuju and Highlander together. The refresh component of Highlander is disgustingly useful.

I'm not a perfect Yi, but I do tend to impress people when it goes well (Or it goes horribly. I'm having some issues with consistency. I'm trying to work out what it is that holds me back sometimes)

Etakon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

Ah that was very helpful. Ima go try a game or two with your build first

kaamos

Adjudicator

09-06-2009

I don't know with the latest changes ( haven't played that much ) , but I found fire cape Yi to be effective. ( just spam capes )

HowlingKommando

09-06-2009

Yi is a fairly difficult character to play.

What makes him hard, is that he does not have a stun move and relies on Phage (weapon item) for its slow. Yi is also generally quite weak in the early game and will want to lane alongside another hero to start.

Some of the trickier tips about Yi, is that you generally do not want to waste money upgrading the Phage to a Frozen Mallet. This is because Yi has a very high attack speed, and the 25% chance off the Phage + the Lizard Jungle buff is generally enough.

Tarion

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingKommando View Post
Yi is a fairly difficult character to play.

What makes him hard, is that he does not have a stun move and relies on Phage (weapon item) for its slow. Yi is also generally quite weak in the early game and will want to lane alongside another hero to start.

Some of the trickier tips about Yi, is that you generally do not want to waste money upgrading the Phage to a Frozen Mallet. This is because Yi has a very high attack speed, and the 25% chance off the Phage + the Lizard Jungle buff is generally enough.
I'd have to say I disagree on relying on the slow from Phage. I stack movement speed (Both Utility tree and Quints) and with Highlander there's nothing outrunning me. Yi's speed goes completely off the charts. I'll going to see how high it ends up, but I've seen it at 550 (I think. Don't hold me to that. When Highlander's up, I'm normally busy)

The slow's nice, but I rarely notice it lategame. People don't live long enough to run.

Tarion

09-06-2009

Sorry for the doublepost, but I've done some shuffling about.

Stacked Desolation in my Red slots, Focus in my Yellow, Clarity in my Blue and Swiftness in my Quints (Thanks to Savage http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=9460 )

Desolation is utterly disgusting. I just absolutely curbstomped in my last game. The only thing killing me was either their entire team stunning/focussing when I got ambushed, or their Rammus + at least one other guy. 1v1, absolutely unstoppable.

With the movement speed, I'm definitely well over 500 when I Highlander. Good times.

RiotParticleMan

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamos View Post
I don't know with the latest changes ( haven't played that much ) , but I found fire cape Yi to be effective. ( just spam capes )
I cant agree with that. Yi is already fantastic vs creeps once he gets high enough. I shoot off an alpha strike whenever I know no enemy heroes are around just for the huge gold hit. Once your Damage is high enough it will kill 3 creeps in an instant. It would also hurt him chasing down enemies as a smart player will run into the jungle and try and pull a mob too big for you to handle.

Yi's power comes from out damaging people standing toe to toe and chasing them down when they realize they bit off more than they could chew.

For items, i usually focus on going life stealing / damage / attack speed.
As each of those gets higher it is harder for Yi to be stopped.

Koslomac

09-06-2009

Berseker boots, phage, zeal. After that turn phage into frost hammer and zeal into phantom dancer. Buy the 450 lifesteal thingie then farm infinity edge. By now the game should have ended, but if it didn't get bloodthirster. Unless they have jax or nothing but stuns you can just press "R", right click enemy champs and enjoy the announcer orgasming at your mad skillz.

HowlingKommando

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
I'd have to say I disagree on relying on the slow from Phage. I stack movement speed (Both Utility tree and Quints) and with Highlander there's nothing outrunning me. Yi's speed goes completely off the charts. I'll going to see how high it ends up, but I've seen it at 550 (I think. Don't hold me to that. When Highlander's up, I'm normally busy)

The slow's nice, but I rarely notice it lategame. People don't live long enough to run.
Phage is just the standard build.

I haven't tried the movement speed build you mention, but it definitely sounds plausible.

However, one major advantage of slow is that it helps your allies keep up and help you focus fire on the target.