Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

looking for feedback on how I play Taric

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SPL22

04-20-2010

As the title says, I am looking for a little feedback on how I play Taric. I started playing taric over the last couple weeks and I am really liking how he can be the difference in a team fight.

What I am looking for in this thread are ideas and suggestions on how I can optimize my play and/or try something different that can net a better result. I started off slow my first go around but I have won about 12 of the last 15 I have played on Taric and have a much better understanding on how to use him.

I currently use the following runes

red - armor pen
Yellow - dodge
Blue - cooldown
Quint - health

summoner spells
I use ignite and clarity. I have toyed around with these 2 spells alot. I find that ignite helps me get a kill or two in the early part of the game. I also like it because during the team fight when I pop my ult and hit someone with a stun. I can throw my ignite on the dps target to have a mortal strike effect on our dps target. So if he gets a heal it is not hitting for that much.

Clarity really helps me stay in lanes and level. I find that with clarity I can pretty mucy stay in the lane for a long time and farm while keeping my dps partner healed. Also it is great if I see our carry is low on mana and we have a favorable push/kill situation.

I use the mastery tree of 0/9/21

In the defense tree I pick up nimbleness and in the support tree I get the improved clarity with my reduction in cooldowns and summoner cooldowns.

skills order

My first skill at level 1 is Dazzle. I find that this helps us get a kill at lvl 1 or lvl 2 in my lane. They come up harass, we do damage to 1 of them. They try to run, hit with my stun, get another hit in and put my ignite on the target.

LvL 2 and 3 are going to be Shatter and Imbue. Depends on how the fight is going if I or my lane partner need a heal at LVL 2.

It really depends on who I have in my lane and who I am up against. Which skill I level first. If we are harassing the lane well, I focus on Shatter. If we are being harassed, I focus on Imbue.

Items

start with Mana manipulator

@ 1240 gold and pick up Chalice of Harmony and Boots of speed.
@ 1810 gold finish soul shroud
@ 850 gold finish mercury treads

Most of the time I can wait on going back and finish soul shroud and merc treads on the same trip.

From here I change up based upon who is on my team and who we are playing against.

If we have a tank that will initiate fights, I focus on auras and pick up
Aegis of Legion @ 1925 gold
Stark's Fervor @ 2550 gold
game is usally over at this point but if I had to get another item I would get Frozen Heart @ 2880 gold

If I am going to have to initiate team fights, I go
Spirit Visage @ 1250 gold I find that extra healing keeps me up for a little bit longer.
Then it depends on what type of dps they are
Banshee's Veil @ 2715 gold if they are heavy magic dps
Frozen Heart @ 2880 gold if they are phsycial dps

How I play
In early levels I will stun low armor targets, get a hit or two on them and fall back. I will let my lane partner know the focus target. I then in mid/late game make sure that I am getting golem buff whenever it is up. I ask my team to help me grab it, that way I am insuring that I am not getting ganked in my effort to obtain. I try and watch lanes for someone pressed up too far, I came in from behind, get a hit or two in and as they run away I hit them with a stun. I do not open with a stun because I want to save that for when they try and escape. I will also ward the sides of mid when late game starts to happen. That way we can see when they are going to baron or if they are going into our side of the jungle. I find that this helps us know if someone is going off on their own or if a big 3-4 man gank attempt is going to happen.

This is the basic blue print for how I have been playing Taric, let me know changes/improvements or a different spin that I can use. Thanks for your time.

txsnowman

04-20-2010

Your playing him right +1

not sure about ignite, but everything else is good, what abilities do u max first, in order of priority

Downfaller

Recruiter

04-20-2010

Yup, nothing wrong with that, Aura Build is the best one for him. The only other one I know is Attack Speed, and that works too if he has to carry.

Edit: The only thing I don't know about is ignite, but that is personally preference, usually on a Support I like to grab Clairvoyance, or Fortify. Clairvoyance is just OP, and someone should have it, and Fortify because it is nice to have too. Tips on Clairvoyance...

1. ALWAYS hit their Fountain first thing, so you can see what they buy, and even where they are going.

2. Drop it in Mountains/Trees/Rocks, so they can't see it right away.

3. Just keep using it, it is on a short CD and being spec'd in CD you can use it all day.

Edits Edit: Rally is what he should have.

SPL22

04-20-2010

ignite I use it for a mortal strike (limit income healing), along with doing some damage on our focus target. I also find that it helps me get a kill or two between lvl 1-5. It just helps me get my build done faster. Then I like it in the team fights, especially if our dps target has a heal or they have a healer on their side.

in regards to what I skill up, it really depends on the situation. My first 3 are always Dazzle and then Imbue/shatter (depending if I need to heal at LVL 2 or not). From there on out, I focus on Imbue if we are being harrassed consistantly or Shatter if we are harrassing them, Shatter helps me farm alot better. It really is situational depending on the strength of my lane opponent/lane partner.

txsnowman

04-20-2010

Quote:
Goirish:
ignite I use it for a mortal strike (limit income healing), along with doing some damage on our focus target. I also find that it helps me get a kill or two between lvl 1-5. It just helps me get my build done faster. Then I like it in the team fights, especially if our dps target has a heal or they have a healer on their side.

in regards to what I skill up, it really depends on the situation. My first 3 are always Dazzle and then Imbue/shatter (depending if I need to heal at LVL 2 or not). From there on out, I focus on Imbue if we are being harrassed consistantly or Shatter if we are harrassing them, Shatter helps me farm alot better. It really is situational depending on the strength of my lane opponent/lane partner.

no bad, bad goirosh, 1 point in dazzle until last, the extra points dont increase the stun time, just the damage, which is negligble since u should be stunng at max range anyway, so 1 point in dazzle, i usually usually take priority with shatter then imbue, normally going shatter imbue shatter imbue, so on and so forth, shatter is a huge armor buff, and does ridiculous damage should u decide to use it, which i wouldnt suggets until the end of a teamfight

SPL22

04-20-2010

Quote:
Downfaller:
Yup, nothing wrong with that, Aura Build is the best one for him. The only other one I know is Attack Speed, and that works too if he has to carry.

Edit: The only thing I don't know about is ignite, but that is personally preference, usually on a Support I like to grab Clairvoyance, or Fortify. Clairvoyance is just OP, and someone should have it, and Fortify because it is nice to have too. Tips on Clairvoyance...

1. ALWAYS hit their Fountain first thing, so you can see what they buy, and even where they are going.

2. Drop it in Mountains/Trees/Rocks, so they can't see it right away.

3. Just keep using it, it is on a short CD and being spec'd in CD you can use it all day.

An Attack Speed build would be interesting, I would imagine that build would center around being able to spam imbue? since each attack lowers the cooldown of imbue by 2 seconds.

As I said, I find that getting killing blows as Taric is a little bit of a challenge because he doesn't have the best burst damage. I find that ignite, helps me a) get a kill or two, which translates to extra gold which if I can get that in early game is a big help and B) during the team fight stage it helps us get our focus target down faster.

I will have to try your suggestion of clairvoyance. That would help because I would not have to buy the 90g sight ward to watch my flank. So it would save my gold a little.

SPL22

04-20-2010

Quote:
txsnowman:
no bad, bad goirosh, 1 point in dazzle until last, the extra points dont increase the stun time, just the damage, which is negligble since u should be stunng at max range anyway, so 1 point in dazzle, i usually usually take priority with shatter then imbue, normally going shatter imbue shatter imbue, so on and so forth, shatter is a huge armor buff, and does ridiculous damage should u decide to use it, which i wouldnt suggets until the end of a teamfight

That is what I said snow man, please re-read. I said I put my 3 points in Dazzle and Imbue/shatter. With the order of Imbue and Shatter being if I need to heal at lvl 2.

my order goes

LvL 1 - Dazzle
Lvl 2 - Imbue/Shatter
LvL 3 - Imbue/Shatter (whichever one I did not get at 2)

txsnowman

04-20-2010

o ok, i thought u meant u put 3 points in dazzle then get shatter and imbue

SPL22

04-20-2010

Quote:
txsnowman:
o ok, i thought u meant u put 3 points in dazzle then get shatter and imbue

No that would be pretty pointless because as you stated, the improved ranks only lower the cooldown. If it increased the stun time that would make it a different story. Thank you for the feedback though, I appreciate it.

Morinav

04-20-2010

I would argue against getting ignite for a few reasons.

1) Taric's not really a killer when you build him auras.
2) You shouldn't really try to get kills as Taric anyway. It's best to rack up assists with him and leave the gold bonus from kills for the carries.

Instead, I would get a skill like fortify. The ability to thwart a push can mean to difference between winning and losing a game. Rally's always a good choice, but you're not likely to get the improved rally mastery. I've never used clairvoyance, but I can see how it would be very useful.

Our builds are similar, but I build in a different order.

Ruby Crystal (unless I'm laning with someone who really needs mana regen)
Chalice
Level 1 boots
Merc's Treads/Tabi
Aegis
Spirit Visage
Soul Shroud/Stark's/Warden's Mail/Banshee's/Nashor's (maybe)

That's usually how I end up building Taric. Of course, it will all depend on the game and who I'm up against. I do consider spirit visage a vital item for him (for now, we'll see how good it is when his ult gets nerfed). The increase in survivability it gives Taric for the price is insane.

Shatter works well for farming creeps. Give every creep around you a whack or two with your hammer, pop shatter, and you'll get 4 or 5 creep kills all at once. I try to farm as aggressively as possible with Taric, and will shamelessly steal creep kills from my team if the opportunity presents itself. Even so, I still have the lowest number of creep kills on the team (but I'm usually comparable to the next highest person) since I leave the laning phase pretty early and rarely jungle.