Am playing Morde right?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iftachby

04-20-2010

Bought Morde some time ago, he's really fun and I've been maining him on TT since I've bought him. I wanted to know if there's any way I can improve my Morde game play.

I usually take Ignite/Exhaust and the offense tree (only level 20 though)

I take his E first, then his W, with Q as last priority. I start the game with Doran's shield and a pot, then boots (usually Merc treads) then buy a Phage -> Frozen Mallet.
From that point I buy some tanky items depending on the enemy: Thornmail/FoN etc.

Now what I'm asking basically, is if I should change my Summoner Spells/ mastery / items.
Also, what runes are good for Morde? Currently have ArPen red, dodge yellow and MR/lvl blue...

Thanks in advance!

Mr Volcano

04-20-2010

I've played Mord successfully quite a bit and my build differs from yours just slightly. First off I wouldn't make Q your last priority. Generally I make W my last priority and here's why. At level 6 with E level 3 Q level 2 and your ult you actually have quite a bit of burst dps. I've successfully tower dived on people with full health with E+Q+R+ignite combo (with full shield up of course).

As for the item build, I usually start with a regrowth pendant followed by boots of speed, and after that I build boots of swiftness and force of nature. After that really depends on your opponents and what kind of role you're playing.

I prefer the defense oriented 9/21/0 for masteries. The 9 points in offense will get you the great archmage's savvy and the 21 points in defense will increase your survivability which is really what mord is all about.

That being said, are you winning? If so, no need to change anything really.

DreamyDays

04-20-2010

First, I would say that you should get at least 1 point in Q. I do it at level 4.
Having Q and not having it is quite different, IMO.

Spells, I would choose Ignite/Cleanse...
But this might be a matter of taste, as you are getting Mercury's Treads for anti-CC.

Masteries, I would also suggest 9/21/0, be sure to get Sorcery and Arcane Knowledge.
CDR and MPen is LOVELY.

As for runes, I would suggest CDR on blues. Mordekaiser needs his shields up, and his abilities take a large part of his damage output. Every bit of CDR helps

Last, about items.

You are using Mercury's Treads. Not that it is a bad choice, but you might consider getting some other boots, such as Sorcerer's Shoes, and use Cleanse for survival. Sorc gives you the much needed MPen, allowing you to punish anyone stupid enough to NOT get ANY MR items.

Also, I agree that Doran's items look nice for starting, but I won't choose it.
I usually go for Rejuv Beads + 6 health pots.
With 6 health pots and your shield from Siphon, you should be able to stay in lane long enough to get Spirit Visage. MR, HP regen(+ a nice passive), CDR... This item is GODLIKE for its cost, try it out

Seeing that you are asking about TT, if the enemy team focuses on physical attacks, you might want to get Warden's Mail as the first item. Same start, just buy a different item on your trip home
Armor, HP regen, and a nice debuff passive for your enemies. Worth the gold, for sure.

Haunting Guise might (or might not) fit your needs....
It gives Spell Vamp, meaning that your moves are almost free. It also gives MPen, HP, and a tiny bit of AP. Not bad, but it might be a bit hard to get the timing to grab this item. I am trying this item out as well.

Frozen Mallet is a solid choice on Mordekaiser. Some people suggest Rylai. Both are valid, both have their own strong points. I have not yet tested Rylai, but you might want to use it.

I don't know how good Aegis will be on TT, it is very nice on SR.
If the enemies are quite balanced on damage output, then maybe you might take this as the first item.
(DISCLAIMER : This idea is NOT tested)

I don't think I need to tell you what to get for more tankiness, right?

If you cannot cram everything on a single TT game, don't worry
Just pick according to needs.

PackMan97

04-20-2010

I usually build as follows on TT. Remember, TT is a totally different map than SR.

1a. Doran's - health, check. armor check. regen check. It's got it all. Can't be beat for those level one team fights.
1b. Elixir of Fortitude - health check. damage check. Grab Q and and dish out considerable damage with your right click.

2. I usually go Spirit Visage just because it's very cheap regen
3. Boots of some sort, quite often swiftness because speed kills (or saves) on TT.
4. Force of nature if heavy magic dmg (remember most skills do magic damage), else wardens
5. Wardens or Thornmail if I need some physical resistance
6. Sunfires if my team as CC, frozen mallet otherwise
7. Replace Dorans with a(nother) sunfire if the game is still going on for some reason.

Quite often I find myself just getting partials if cash is tight. I'll grab a null mantle and cloth armor because I plan to use both, but I need the resists now.

Holypope

04-20-2010

All of these suggestions sound solid. I think the moral of this thread is that there's a lot of valid ways to play Morde and as such, the best style will most likely depend on the makeup of the other players.

Got plenty of CC? Frozen mallet won't add much... better to pick something else. Short on DPS? Get a bloodthisrter? Your team all physical? Starks will win the day. Fighting against a team of casters? MR for ftw.

As far as builds go, I find the DPS/Lifesteal build can be a lot of fun vs the right enemies.

1.) Get an appropriate attack speed item... most will work, pick one you like with at least 40% boost.

2.) Build a bloodthirster.

3.) it's all situational from here. If Warwick is the biggest threat, get thornmail and watch him get pissed off as you win 1v1's against him. He won't be expecting you to be so tough and DPS'y.

This build isn't always useful, but if you're fighting a team with weak CC and Burst, it's definitely a strong build.

OmniOblivion

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftachby View Post
Bought Morde some time ago, he's really fun and I've been maining him on TT since I've bought him. I wanted to know if there's any way I can improve my Morde game play.

I usually take Ignite/Exhaust and the offense tree (only level 20 though)

I take his E first, then his W, with Q as last priority. I start the game with Doran's shield and a pot, then boots (usually Merc treads) then buy a Phage -> Frozen Mallet.
From that point I buy some tanky items depending on the enemy: Thornmail/FoN etc.

Now what I'm asking basically, is if I should change my Summoner Spells/ mastery / items.
Also, what runes are good for Morde? Currently have ArPen red, dodge yellow and MR/lvl blue...

Thanks in advance!
I build Mord as an AP tank with Ignite and Ghost.

I like to take Regrowth Pendant to help with Mord's HP drain side effects better.

I would then get Haunting Guise to further help with HP Drain.

Boots of Swiftness for Movement (this can be anything you need, but I like to get Swiftness.

Warmog's for HP.

Rylai's for AP/HP.

And then the last can be anything you need (I like to have Guardian Angel.).

Try this out and see if it works...

holistic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2010

9/21/0 for masteries

then go
dorans shield + health pot
boots - no need to upgrade boots right away, as most enemies will be coming to you
warmogs
then upgrade boots/or frozen mallet

and you should be set, unless the enemy team is dumb enough to
go all one damage type then its an easy counter, fon and spirit visage for magic dmg
and wardens and thornmail for physical.

∆zeal

04-20-2010

You need either Frozen Mallet or Rylai's for a CC, but regen is good, and HP is good. Armor/MR is all situational based on game, same with boots. I usually go Swiftness though (b/c with Siphon's range + Rylai's, people can't run from the Morde). If it works for you, then don't worry about it.