Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Udyr: Tank. Is it viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandie

04-20-2010

I play TT quite often now a days since they tend to end much quicker as opposed to the other map. My question is: would a ARMOR/Mag Resist + CD reduction build be a viable build for udyr? or how about a AP/HP + CD reduction build?
I came across this theory while I was playing in one of my games and noticed that I tend to switch off from phoenix/bear stance to turtle.

Opinions and incites are appreciated :]

Praedoran

04-20-2010

Your mileage may vary, but here's what I've noticed:

CDR from a Brutalizer and the HP from Tri-Force is all that's really needed on Udyr. While I won't say that a Tank Udyr isn't valid, he does so well as a DPS Carry, you shouldn't specialize in tanking unless it's on Summoner's Rift. My experiences on Twisted Treeline have been more positive as a Damage build than a Tank build.

Summoner's Rift often has more Ranged opponents and team battles, meaning as the melee without leaps and escapes, you'll get CC/Ulted/and generally focused on more, while dealing less damage because of CC's and Leaps/Teleports leaving your melee range.

With a Triforce/Brutalizer/and eventually Razors (Tanks are common enough I generally build this item eventually), you'll have plenty of Armor/CDR/and Dodge to make you survivable, but in TT, if you cannot assist your team in taking down the enemy carry as quickly as possible, you're not contributing what you should.

Again, team makeups, either side snowballing, and jungle control on Twisted Treeline are a big factor that may warrant a Tank build, but stick with your DPS first and build for survivability if your instincts think you need it.

TechYS

04-20-2010

Udyr tank works on SR, although the way I build him anyways in terms of tanky items are:

1. Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi
2. Banshee's Veil
3. Frozen Mallet

You end up with around 3.3-3.4k HP depending on what masteries you got. Plus your banshee bubble and high MR makes you quite resistant to skills (assuming no penetration, and even if there is you are still better off compared to someone who has none)

For CDR I use runes. If I want major CDR I go Nashor's Tooth, but that's not exactly a tank item.

The remaining 3 items can be any dps gear you want, as long as you can afford them. (if I ever have gold I tend to build Nashor's Tooth, Malady, and Sword of the Divine to make maximum use of Phoenix)

Biggest problem of tank Udyr on TT? The cost of items and the time you need to build them. Works ok in SR if your team doesn't get stomped.

Kymera3

04-20-2010

Why go tank? Hes on of the best dps and turtle stance takes care of any dmg youre taking.
if you do turtle - bear - tiger - turtle - bear - tiger etc. You got many dmg from the enemy except if its a team fight but still.
If you whant some CD just buy nashors tooth, good AS and a bit of CD and some AP in there.
If you whant some armor wich i dont recommend but you could get a frozen heart, gives mana armor and CD.
But i'd say DPS/AD udyr is the best

TechYS

04-20-2010

Because he can still farm with tank items. And that he can still be a threat in battle if you don't focus him, and if you do he is doing his tanking role as intended.

Look at Alistar. Usually after his Pulverize and Headbutt (which are 9 seconds and 7.2 seconds at max CD), he probably can't output much damage afterwards (unless he's hitting towers) before getting his skills back.

Udyr, on the other hand, can spam all of his skills at 3.6 seconds max CD. If enemy isn't going after you, feel free to go Bear, Phoenix, and Tiger, then repeat. If enemy comes with a creep wave, the Phoenix should be able to clear them out so your team can easily focus on enemy champions.

And yeah, if you finish the tanking items and start going dps item (the 3 remaining slots), you can still work as a dps (assuming game lasts long enough).

And most importantly, Turtle is not going to last through focus fire, if your opponent is on the same skill level as you.

OmniOblivion

04-20-2010

Quote:
Pandie:
I play TT quite often now a days since they tend to end much quicker as opposed to the other map. My question is: would a ARMOR/Mag Resist + CD reduction build be a viable build for udyr? or how about a AP/HP + CD reduction build?
I came across this theory while I was playing in one of my games and noticed that I tend to switch off from phoenix/bear stance to turtle.

Opinions and incites are appreciated :]

Every game that an Udyr tries to tank, it fails. Here are 2 reasons why:

-He lacks ability to absorb damage. Ok, there's his Turtle Stance, yes. But that's good for like a 5 second duration. Late game is probably better, but lets assume he was tanking the entire game.

-Crowd Control; a heavy CC would kill Udyr. Most tanks like Alistar and Cho'gath can withstand CCs and damage very well because they are built that way. Whereas Udyr has abilities that only allow him to deal heavy amounts of damage in melee ranged. There's literally no real defense build against a CC party.

unjugon

04-20-2010

If you are with a decent team, or one that knows what you are doing and plays the early game a bit safer than usual, I have had some success getting 2-3 fast hearts of gold.
In my experience, these normally fail on other heroes -mainly tanks- because:
1- They would do much better with health/mana regen early on.
2- They can´t farm well, so the HoGs do not really amplify the massing-gold effect.
3- They can´t do without upgraded boots mid game.

If you think about it, Udyr doesn´t have these problems, thanks to turtle (1), phoenix (2), and bear (3) stances. You can grab boots 1 and 3 HoGs and still contribute to the team and be a bi*** to kill. All the while you are amassing gold, and your late game will be massive. I normally get the Banshee´s Veil asap after the HoGs, and then choose depending on the game.

PS: I am talking about Summoner´s Rift, ofc.

Supreme1337

04-20-2010

Don't play him as a tank!!! Like Jax he naturally has huge amounts of health. If you get Tri-Force (one of the best items for Udyr) then you will be set, health-wise. You can also use Turtle anytime for extra protection and life+mana steal (at later levels when I fight lizard I walk away with more health than I started. minion waves also do the trick). Udyr is such a great DPS, and he has such naturally high health (even as DPS) that you should let one of the real tanks (Cho, Ali, Rammus, etc.) do the job.

Æzeal

04-20-2010

Udyr was my main for a while, and I played DPS, although I played him tanky once or twice.

It fails to be anywhere near as useful as DPS Udyr. Let the tanks tank.

Pandie

04-20-2010

thanks for the incite guys.
I agree that a Triforce really makes Udyr quite durable.
it was just one of those "what if" thoughts I had floating around haha