Runes, Tiers and Extreme Level Advantage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alexispoquiz

Recruiter

04-20-2010

It has come to my attention that once you reach level 10, you can completely replace all your Tier 1 Runes with Tier 2 Runes...So I assume that once you reach level 20, you could replace all your Tier 2 Runes with Tier 3 Runes???!!!

So here is my concern...

The Mastery System already gives a significant advantage to higher levels.
The Rune System adds an insane layer of advantage to higher levels.

A Simple Example:

A level 9 player is allotted 3 Red runes.
A level 19 player is allotted 6 Red runes.
A level 29 player is allotted 9 Red runes.

Mark of Strength Tier 1 = +0.18
Mark of Strength Tier 2 = +0.25
Mark of Strength Tier 3 = +0.32

That level 9 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +0.54 damage.
That level 19 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +1.50 damage.
That level 29 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +2.88 damage.

I mean, this would totally be okay if matchmaking balances out teams... but for new players this totally sucks especially when matchmaking often pairs noob teams against premades.

I would like to reiterate my main concern. The Mastery System already gives a significant advantage to higher levels. The Rune System adds an insane layer of advantage to higher levels.

Hyfe

04-20-2010

Wrong forum, get in line. Everyones been screwed by MM.

Like how I play on my lvl 7 smurf acct with no runes and 7 mastery points against a team full of 30s just because I won like my first 6 games in a row.

Concretar

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfe View Post

Like how I play on my lvl 7 smurf acct with no runes and 7 mastery points against a team full of 30s just because I won like my first 6 games in a row.
I actually think THAT is matchmaking genius, all the lvl 30's making 'smurf' accounts and ruining my newbie friends' day..

Concretar

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexispoquiz View Post

That level 9 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +0.54 damage.
That level 19 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +1.50 damage.
That level 29 player will max the value of his Red Runes @ +2.88 damage.
OH MY GOD that is like over 500% more powerful than a lvl 10!!!!
Oh wait, it adds up with the ingame stats..
so off the top of my head your starting damage would be (omfg I have no idea what starting dmg is for most chars)

lv 9: 70.5
lv 29: 72.9

which is a difference of about 4-5% (in the first few minutes). Late-game with all the items and whatnot this doesn't make a noticeable difference anymore.

So if you're playing against a level thirty, laning well and harassing ONE shot more than him will set the balance straight again!

wildfire393

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concretar View Post
so off the top of my head your starting damage would be (omfg I have no idea what starting dmg is for most chars)

which is a difference of about 4-5% (in the first few minutes). Late-game with all the items and whatnot this doesn't make a noticeable difference anymore.

So if you're playing against a level thirty, laning well and harassing ONE shot more than him will set the balance straight again!
OP made his point poorly by using one of the worst runes. More poignant would be something like Armor Penetration. Level 9 gets 3 level 1 marks for ~3 Armor Pen, while the level 30 gets ~18 armor Pen. At first level, where your damage is about 50 and armors are just under 20, this makes a difference of about 8 damage, which is nearly 20% of your starting damage. At higher levels, say 100 damage versus 50 armor, it makes a difference again of about 8 damage, which is still almost 10% of your damage.

Another good example is MP Regen. 3 level 1 flat regen seals gives about less than 1 mp/5. A set of 9 level 3 seals gives almost 4 mp/5, which is enough to keep you in lane a good deal longer.

Hyfe

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concretar View Post

By your math and logic, a faull tier 3 rune page is essentially useless... ?

Tarion

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfe View Post

That's smurf detection working perfectly. Don't really see the problem.

Hyfe

04-20-2010

Nobody wants to hear my smurf QQ tales. :*(