ZAM.com - League of Legends: What Happens when DotA Grows Up

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sp4wNi

09-07-2009

yeah nice

Mr V Light

Adjudicator

09-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
Just like GUI and Object Oriented / Mouse interface etc... Who came up with that? MS? Mac? Non.. XEROX did, but does anyone out there give the credit to Xerox? It's like giving credit to Edison for inventing the bulb when really many many inventors at his time were working on the same thing from previous inventors, but Edison took the patent in 1880 (I think?) and therefore, he is the father of the bulb. What about Sir Humphry? How about Swan?

Does that mean we should give Blizzard some credit for creating a platform where people were allowed to create awesome games like DoTA?

Everyone knows DoTA, not everyone knows AoS. Also, AoS was maintained / updated by more than one author, I am not going to compare it to Green TD, but it was just another 'random' map. Last but not least, we are talking about credit people, not crediting map. The mentioning of names of who affected who in the history of DoTA and now MoBA should have their names up there.
it still wasn't Eul that created the genre though.. 'MoBA' whatever the hell that stands for.. predates DotA

it's just that DotA was one of the first maps released with map protection on.. people couldn't re-edit DotA and do whatever they wanted to it, so it stayed 'somewhat' balanced, which was enough to keep it popular

honestly though.. crediting anyone involved with DotA as the father of the genre is laughable.. the first few DotA maps were nearly indistinguishable from AoS

infact if i remember correctly.. Tides of Blood even predates DotA.. one of the only other Aeon of Strife copycats to have any popularity

but yeah, without a map protection utility those first few maps were very often re-edited by random people and claimed as their own, no clue who actually made the original AoS

but whoever that guy is.. he's the 'father' of the genre

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-07-2009

Quote:
it still wasn't Eul that created the genre though.. 'MoBA' whatever the hell that stands for.. predates DotA

it's just that DotA was one of the first maps released with map protection on.. people couldn't re-edit DotA and do whatever they wanted to it, so it stayed 'somewhat' balanced, which was enough to keep it popular

honestly though.. crediting anyone involved with DotA as the father of the genre is laughable.. the first few DotA maps were nearly indistinguishable from AoS

infact if i remember correctly.. Tides of Blood even predates DotA.. one of the only other Aeon of Strife copycats to have any popularity

but yeah, without a map protection utility those first few maps were very often re-edited by random people and claimed as their own, no clue who actually made the original AoS

but whoever that guy is.. he's the 'father' of the genre
Somebody already said this, but 'father' is a horrible word. Sure, someone may have thought of it first, but that doesn't mean it's them that made it great.

Touch technology has been around forever, but it wasn't until the Apple Iphone that it was taken seriously (not including stylus ****).

HereticalSaint

09-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
Somebody already said this, but 'father' is a horrible word. Sure, someone may have thought of it first, but that doesn't mean it's them that made it great.

Touch technology has been around forever, but it wasn't until the Apple Iphone that it was taken seriously (not including stylus ****).
The problem here is saying DoTA created the genre, which it didn't. It also wasn't the first succesful game in the genre. So saying that they are the "fathers" of the genre is bogus. That's like saying WoW is the "father" or MMO's, sure it may be better than what came before it but it isn't what created the genre and it shouldn't get such credit.

As for why I personally care about this enough to post about it is because I'm 99.9% sure I was involved in beta testing and feedbacking for a person I used to play with a lot who DID create the first Aeon of Strife type map. I didn't come up with the concept, he did and he deserves more credit than Icefrog or whoever else. (I've lost contact with him long since then so I can't even remember his username on b.net, but again I'm 99.9% sure that I did not see a single AoS map till his came out).

TO reiterate, saying DoTA is great is fine, saying DoTA invented the genre is not.

That being said DoTA, LoL and AoS all kick major butt.

Xitras

09-07-2009

Eul was the first major step to getting Dota/MOBA popular, pretty much if he didn't work on it there would be no LoL or Dota today.

Omnipotent

09-08-2009

Sigh....

How threads take a turn....

Whether DoTA was the father of MoBA's or AoS was the God of All... Frankly, this is the least aspect of what and why I raised my concerns. My concern was specifically aimed at the fact that Eul and Guinsoo took the credit for DoTA and the community for such games.

Razzle Dazzle

Adjudicator

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitras View Post
Eul was the first major step to getting Dota/MOBA popular, pretty much if he didn't work on it there would be no LoL or Dota today.
I think it's safe to say anyone who worked on a version of DotA changed the outcome of the MOBA genre.

On topic, that was a nice read. Can't wait for the big video reviews

AngryBovine

09-08-2009

Maybe I wasn't around for it, but could someone enlighten me as to what exactly Icefrog did to make the genre great? I'm not even trying to be sarcastic.

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-08-2009

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't around for it, but could someone enlighten me as to what exactly Icefrog did to make the genre great? I'm not even trying to be sarcastic.
He brought balance to the game, allowing it to be competitive. He gave it great polish - bugs and exploits are limited, if existing. His new content he released, although not a ton, is top notch quality. He remade half the systems in the game perfecting the original design.

AngryBovine

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
He brought balance to the game, allowing it to be competitive. He gave it great polish - bugs and exploits are limited, if existing. His new content he released, although not a ton, is top notch quality. He remade half the systems in the game perfecting the original design.
Ah, I see. Thanks. Poor guy gets left out without a mention in the article, too.