ZAM.com - League of Legends: What Happens when DotA Grows Up

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazuz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

09-06-2009

I couldn't agree more with the people at ZAM, I'm th player that is in the limbo between a casual and a hardcore player and i could easily say that people in Riot Games have that something that adds flavor to a game

Ayleid

09-06-2009

I find the comment box quite hilarious. )

gqsupersport

09-06-2009

I totally agree about Icefrog being left out. DotA would not exist today without him, in fact, the popularity and widespread love for MOBAs is a direct result of Icefrog's efforts with DotA. I love LoL and believe that once it is complete, it will be the single most played game I own, but I will never completely stop playing DotA.

Ravenite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNihil View Post
edit after reading the whole article:
Kudos for your PR work, but this is no preview, itīs just some guy repeating what was said to him. Pure marketing talk.
Just thought I'd point out that this is not true. Pwyff has been in the beta since at least June and probably earlier and definitely has played the game and developed his own opinion. If you want to see some of his other thoughts on the game, check out the bottom of this blog.

ERazER

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
Awesome review; that review seriously explains what DoTA was all about and what MoBA aims for in the long run, more like a tutorial to this genre.

I loved it whole heartily...

However, and please bare with me here; one thing I disliked - and perhaps I should not have come here and raised the matter - is the fact that 'Eul' was mentioned as the father of 'push-lanes-destroy-enemy-base' ala MoBA and then 'Guinsoo' taking over; but it just stopped there. The review went on stating how popular DoTA is and how millions of people play it yada yada yada, and not a single piece of information awarding some credit to 'Icefrog', credit that is well earned in my humble opinion; that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes Eul was the father, and yes Guinsoo perfected Eul's idea and really introduced MoBA(s) genre and most of the aspects that come with 'push your lanes' mods / DoTA-wannabe games / maps. Icefrog too maintained the game and added onto the genre or improved onto it (some people might disagree to the 'improvements' notion - but numbers and influx of players are by my side even though it was inevitable that only more players will jump on the MoBA-Bandwagon whether Icefrog improved/changed on it or left it as it is). He did well, and while he was at it, the community kept on growing. Now I know DoTA-Allstars.com was one of the corner stones for the expansion and exploding influx onto the DoTA community, thanks to Pendragon, but one would wonder if DoTA-Allstars would exist if the mod was abandoned upon Guinsoo's departure.

Hopefully, my comments here did not hurt anyone's feelings, since I am well aware that there are some bitter feelings and perhaps the wounds did not heal after a solid 3-4 years relationship with so and so ... My intentions are pure and not get back at anyone, I love everyone equally, much more biased towards Riot staff (specifically Pendragon & Guinsoo) more than who or what deserves credit. But I believe in fairness, I am also quite certain that Riot's principles and values would attest to what I am saying here and what should be done.

I wish Zam would edit this article and give the fellow some credit, I am hoping Riot would at least have some sort of influence on what Zam posted.
Then what about AoS, which DotA is based on and it's starcraft roots?

Morbis

09-06-2009

Quote:
And once again the screenshots used are from previous version of graphics.. :d
Just show them how the game actually looks now.. .d

Also agreed on Icefrog.
And no, LoL is not what happens when DotA grows up, HoN is what happens when DotA grows up, LoL is a different game altogether, just same genre.

edit after reading the whole article:
Kudos for your PR work, but this is no preview, itīs just some guy repeating what was said to him. Pure marketing talk.
HoN is what happens when DoTA goes out on a nice bicycle ride to the candy store one Saturday morning, but gets hit by a car on the way there and enters a deep coma. then wakes up 10 years later, physically older, but mentally the same kid from before the accident

Prime

09-06-2009

Quote:
And no, LoL is not what happens when DotA grows up, HoN is what happens when DotA grows up, LoL is a different game altogether, just same genre.
Nope, HoN is what happens when DotA went to a plastic surgeon and moved out of his parents house. LoL is the evolution of DotA.

Tarion

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenite View Post
Just thought I'd point out that this is not true. Pwyff has been in the beta since at least June and probably earlier and definitely has played the game and developed his own opinion. If you want to see some of his other thoughts on the game, check out the bottom of this blog.
If he's Pwyff in game, he's played nearly 200 games so far. I'd say he should have formed an opinion by now :P

HappyNihil

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenite View Post
Iīm sorry, but I cannot take his text seriously. If he formed an opinion and what the preview states is it then heīs one happy guy and good for him, but imo it just sounds like an ad and is too non-critical. I like the game and spend quite some time playing and modding it, but there are two sides to every coin and the article is just bad if it was supposed to be unbiased.

Morbis

09-06-2009

maybe the point of the article wasnt to review, just to talk about how the game was an evolution of dota. if we're talking about pure gameplay, than in relation to DoTA I cant think of anything negative to say either.