Malphite question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Hello all... i recently started maining Malphite and have been having a really good time with him. I noticed something lately though... by the time end game comes around, if it's going really long I noticed that my effectiveness drops considerably. I've been stacking armor for the most part along with cooldown reduction. I know that most people recommend a basic Damage build with him, but I like the synergy between high armor and his ground slam ability. Being able to ult in and hit for insane damage right afterwards is very fun.

My question is, what items can I start building with Malphite to help keep him a power house late game?

Here is most of what I build in a general order that I build it. I usually get several low level pieces of a few items if I don't have a ton of money so i can keep progressing.

Aegis Shield, Ninja Tabi/ Merc Treads, (start frozen heart first item), either complete frozen heart or start something like Soul Shroud or Warden's Mail. I will then usually get a Black Cleaver or some sort of other Damage item. Should I be going less survivability and maybe more Attack Speed/ Attack Damage build?

Any suggestions are welcome. I have read some guides on this forum and was wondering if anyone had something besides an all ATtack Damage build.

Thanks all!

Changief

04-19-2010

Aegis > Merc Treads > Sunfire > Sunfire > Sunfire > Sunfire

Mix up sunfires for Magic resist as needed. Your job isnt to get kills it's to run in and knock everyone in the air while your team cleans up

My record with him is like 248 /290 / 600

he's an assist machine

Grist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Right. I've been wondering about building Ability Power and Cooldown Reduction along with the armor from a Frozen Heart and then being a crazy ult. It looks like his Ult has a 1 to 1 AP to damage ratio. I've contemplated stacking Sunfires as well, but wasn't sure how effective it would be. I will try it tonight.

PhoenixBomb

04-19-2010

Malph's item build is purely subjective to the enemy team. That said, if you want to pump out damage while still tanking (which you should, it's what is so appealing about Malph) then more important than armor is CDR. Throw in a chalice and one mana item (preferably Glacial Shroud) and you can spam all game. Throw scaling CDR into your blues and you can hit the 40% mark easily. After that, just build to their team. If they have 3 auto attackers, get Frozen Heart to nerf their attack speed (with Ground Slam). So on and so forth. Aegis is always a solid pick, though they nerfed the aura, so it's not as key.

Just make sure you're getting enough health in there with your resists to maximize your effective health.

Grist

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBomb View Post
Malph's item build is purely subjective to the enemy team. That said, if you want to pump out damage while still tanking (which you should, it's what is so appealing about Malph) then more important than armor is CDR. Throw in a chalice and one mana item (preferably Glacial Shroud) and you can spam all game. Throw scaling CDR into your blues and you can hit the 40% mark easily. After that, just build to their team. If they have 3 auto attackers, get Frozen Heart to nerf their attack speed (with Ground Slam). So on and so forth. Aegis is always a solid pick, though they nerfed the aura, so it's not as key.

Just make sure you're getting enough health in there with your resists to maximize your effective health.
Thanks for the reply. I've been building atleast the Glacial Shroud every game. I'll have to work on CDR runes for him.

GuyGin

04-19-2010

If you want your damage to not fall off endgame, I suggest getting mpen (as you seem to like the non AD malphite).

Either Haunting Guise or Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter. Sorc Shoes are an option, but the other shoes are just so good...

If you can get the 15% reduction in offense that's money also. With 10ish mpen from runes, and 1 mpen item, your damage will be considerably higher with spells, which is wat his Q E and R do.

Voidgolem

04-19-2010

Generally rushing a glacial shroud and haunting guise proves most helpful.

Nobody expects shard to hit for 25-40% of their health.
~

There's Carryphite, of course, but I'm not very sure on how you'd build him. So many mana issues unless you're building Heart :\

Grist

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGin View Post
If you want your damage to not fall off endgame, I suggest getting mpen (as you seem to like the non AD malphite).

Either Haunting Guise or Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter. Sorc Shoes are an option, but the other shoes are just so good...

If you can get the 15% reduction in offense that's money also. With 10ish mpen from runes, and 1 mpen item, your damage will be considerably higher with spells, which is wat his Q E and R do.

Yeah you have a point there.... I will definitely look into some Mpen.

malphismia

04-19-2010

just keep adding more survivability, I don't know why you'd add attack.

The longer the game, the more the enemy stacks damage, the more you should be stacking damage mitigation.

Oink The Pig

04-19-2010

Attack damage buffs his brutal strikes, which in turn is highly effective at pushing creep and knocking down towers late game. Guinsoo's is pretty fun on Malphite, since he can make use of all the buffs. Nashor's Tooth + Guinsoo's gives you great CD and a huge AP buff to your shard and ult, as well as attack speed to take advantage of activated brutal strikes.

Note, however, that getting survivability vs. damage depends on whether you're expected to tank for your team, and what you think your odds are of getting out alive after ult'ing.