My Experience with League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sammm

04-19-2010

Part 1: Sportsmanship
Usually, I really enjoy playing lol, and don't care whether or not I win or lose as long as everyone on my team (and the other team) tries hard the whole time until we lose or surrender.

Typically, the latter half of that sentence is where the problems start. Generally games are good, but every once in a while you play with one of "those" people who plays the blame game the whole time and is generally a poor sport. Often this player stops trying at all after his surrender vote fails at the 25 minute mark.

Personally, when this happens and my mood sours, I think that people who quit trying and sit in the base telling everyone why the suck and that we need to surrender should be banned straight out. I have no love for bad sportsmanship. Obviously thatís a pretty harsh scenario, people have bad days, take the game more seriously than others, etc.

However, I do think there should be a system in place for rewarding players who try their hardest and are team players, while being able to monitor people who act similar to what I described above.

Without giving any specifics, I think some sort of Karmic reward system is in order. Something that allows players to rate other players on multiple categories from 1-5 (while obviously discarding votes from players who abuse the system). High and low scores over time could carry benefits. Of course, Iím a bit of an optimist when it comes to systems like this working.

In my opinion, everyone should give every game their best, and continue to play hard if a surrender vote fails, rather than making surrender a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Addendum: automatically deleting accounts with names like ******HATER couldn't hurt either, since there is definitely a correlation between the problems described and the type of name.

Part 2: Leaves and Disconnects
After playing a game today where all 4 players on my team disconnected or "rage" quit (not that I blame player number 4 that much, after 3 people left before him), and having played several other games today with leavers, disconnects, and 5+ queues where someone left in champion select. I think riot needs to put serious consideration into how to deal with this problem. I for one was drawn to league of legends because of the high leave/dc rates of other games. When more than 50% of my games on average have a leaver or a disconnector on one team or the other, I start to get frustrated.

Leaving in champion select because your champion was taken seems to me to be completely unacceptable, and a leave on your record is not nearly enough. While Iíve played over 100 games without a single leave, I do understand the occasional leave because of an emergency, power outage, or what have you. However, when I see people with 20-50 leaves I begin to wonder why they are allowed to keep playing.

I think once your leave to game ratio (for a period of time, not overall) hits some magic number, you should start getting a several hour suspension per leave you have after that point.

Rage quitters and rage-feeders should be suspended for hours if not days. I know detecting this as the reason can be difficult, but it could be put to a vote by the players or something, but I might be an optimist in thinking that would work. Additionally, sometimes I feel like a ban system (your team only, for rage feeders and spammers) is in order, requiring a unanimous vote.

I know riot can't do too much about disconnecting, because it might be too harsh on people with poor connections and high ping. The first player in the 4-players-not-playing game mentioned above didn't connect after champion select or reconnect the whole game, which isnít the first time Iíve seen that happen. Now I understand computer problems, but this wasnít a new player with zero wins, and reconnecting is also possible.

In short, i dont really know what a good solution is, but the frequency of this ruining a game for me tells me that it needs to be changed.

TechYS

04-19-2010

Actually, leaves during champion select is called Queue dodging. Its not leaving. Leaving is leaving during game and doesn't connect back.

And, for your info, queue dodging only gets a 3 min temp ban to go into any game or something. It doesn't leave a trace on your record.

zebano

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Queue dodging is annoying but is something I can live with though I would like to see the penalty pushed to 5 or even 10 minutes, but the problem #1 described above is the biggest problem. I was playing with a Mord yesterday who kept complaining about how he was playing with low level people (if your elo is that low...). To be fair to him, the Teemo refused to join in any team fights, but sitting in base sulking and trying to surrender shows a large lack of sportsmanship on his part.

Concretar

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
Part 1: Sportsmanship
However, I do think there should be a system in place for rewarding players who try their hardest and are team players, while being able to monitor people who act similar to what I described above.
I think the reward for trying hard and teamplaying is 'Win' (and equally important, 'Fun'). Dealing with people who ragequit or simply give up or who show bad sportsmanship is described awesomely in a guide, I can't quite remember it's name, 'Good to be Evil' or something.

Quote:
Without giving any specifics, I think some sort of Karmic reward system is in order. Something that allows players to rate other players on multiple categories from 1-5 (while obviously discarding votes from players who abuse the system). High and low scores over time could carry benefits. Of course, Iím a bit of an optimist when it comes to systems like this working.
That's a pretty sweet idea. Of course going through the trouble of rating someone on Several categories is not something I'd do every match, but if someone REALLY helped out or if someone was a total bag-a-****s I'd take the trouble.
Sadly, no matter how hard I try to be a nice cool guy, 'rating systems' have always worked against me in my life so it'd be wiser to say NO fer me.

Quote:
In my opinion, everyone should give every game their best, and continue to play hard if a surrender vote fails, rather than making surrender a self-fulfilling prophecy.
This. The moment you start a game you sign a Pact (after every patch you have to read this pact again, but most people scroll right through and click 'agree'). The pact demands that you give it your best until the game ends, through surrender or otherwise. If a surrender FAILS, this means several people in your team still have the gusto to kick some ass (if probably very little ass) and you are obliged to help them out.

Quote:
Part 2: Leaves and Disconnects
I think riot needs to put serious consideration into how to deal with this problem.
I think they consider it every day. Sometimes, after a harsh day like yours, I think some of the devs even cry themselves to sleep (as they SHOULD, if they're any GOOD). Still it's a complex problem so it'd be cool if everyone put in their two cents worth. I'll try:

EXP or IP loss
I know that sounds extreme and above level thirty it'll stop making a difference but I think it might work. I know some people can't help leaving due to their connection and it's happened to me twice exactly - but playing team games with a messy connection is a selfish thing to do anyways.

Rating system
I think the rating system you put forward would be used mostly for (/against) these leavers. After a while, people with terrible ratings could be running out of people who want to play with them! Oh dear, what if they end up forced to play with EACHOTHER, that'd make wonderful matches.

Quote:
Leaving in champion select because your champion was taken seems to me to be completely unacceptable, and a leave on your record is not nearly enough. While Iíve played over 100 games without a single leave, I do understand the occasional leave because of an emergency, power outage, or what have you. However, when I see people with 20-50 leaves I begin to wonder why they are allowed to keep playing.
Oh, I think you've got the Leave mechanic a little wrong there. Leaving in champion selection isn't counted as a Leave - because this is the place to assess your team and see the people you're playing with. If you don't like them, I think you should be able to leave. Starting a game on the wrong foot isn't the start of 40 minutes of bliss.

Leaving because your champion was taken is something I've done once or twice - then again, I've also given up a few champs because other people wanted them. Sometimes I just really FEEL like playing someone, or I've changed my runes and masteries to fit that one character. All in all I think the time penalty on leaving champion select is enough.

Quote:
I think once your leave to game ratio (for a period of time, not overall) hits some magic number, you should start getting a several hour suspension per leave you have after that point.
oh here's your two cent's worth! That might work, if harsh but hell they're harsh too.

Quote:
I know riot can't do too much about disconnecting, because it might be too harsh on people with poor connections and high ping.
Yes, we feel for those poor internetically challenged fools. But like I said it's a team game - I don't play rugby on Sunday if I'm injured, it lets everybody down.

Quote:
In short, i dont really know what a good solution is, but the frequency of this ruining a game for me tells me that it needs to be changed.
Yah, as much as I love Riot for putting out so many new heroes and content I think there are more pressing matters like this.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Try playing at offpeak time. The quality of players will improve beyond believe.

YinYie

04-19-2010

Well thats easy to solve: just increase the ip/exp earned for a long battle. (if lost)

lets say at 40 minutes you get same bonus then the winning team -> problem solved.

ps.: i dont think ppl would start trying to lose after 40 minutes because of bigger reward you still want a positive win/loss ratio :P

NullValue

04-19-2010

I kinda know where you're coming from. It sucks when you have teammates who just give up before the match has even remotely been decided, especially when they're talking about how their team sucks, yet they're the ones with the most deaths. Personally though, I do prefer them leaving the game than to rage-feed the enemy team.

I do also know how much it sucks, for instance, to play a tank in a solo-queue match (a pretty bad idea, I know... lol...) and to have a team that has no clue wtf to do, leaving you (the tank) out to dry every team fight -_-;. Those kinda games really suck to play, often making me not even want to play tanks in solo-queue and just play Carries, but it also sucks to not have a tank at mid-ELO+ even if it's solo-queue.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to deal with the issue. It also doesn't actually happen in my games that often. It actually probably happens more in my premades than in my solo-queue matches, lol, but I premake 5v5 (generally tank) and solo-queue 3v3 (Carry).

Either way, if you punish people for queue dodging or leaving, then they'll just stay in the game and AFK. If you punish AFKing, then they'll rage-feed (which is much much worse). Sometimes I do wish for a ban system, and while it can be helpful to kick a person out of a match if it's early (allows you to lvl / farm faster than the enemy team), it really hurts to lose a player mid-game and later, so a ban system mid-match seems self-defeating to me.

Again, I do understand and feel for the issue, but I really have no clue how to solve it. It just seems like it could be a waste of resources (for Riot) to implement a fix to the system that might not really work. Also, a reward system like you mentioned could work, but it could also be abused.

Also, punishing people for legitimate reasons--some emergency came up, or had really bad outage that day (how I got my first and only Leave, really really sucked)--is also always an issue and, IMO, is really hard to detect / differentiate between other forms of queue dodges / leaves / etc.

Btw, just to note, a reward system could also be potentially abused by the ragers to downvote legitimate players too. There is also the issue of a person always just going onto a smurf to play instead, so the penalties for raging/leaving/etc or whatever would be negated / spread out over accounts (it's not hard to play / lvl a smurf up again and to get into mid-ELO ranges). My point is basically that, if people really don't feel it is worth it to play a match, they will find a way not to "play" it.

And there is a bonus / reward for continuing to play a lost match, but it's a pretty small IP bonus. There is also the bonus IP for a streak of not leaving matches, also pretty small. IMO, they add up but I doubt everyone would really care. If the losing bonus is too high, people could just go into the game and AFK the entire match, just to get the bonus EXP / IP. I doubt it'd be too hard to macro / bot some way to prevent the game's auto-AFK from being triggered either. Matches like that would be a nightmare...

I guess I'm saying that I don't think it's a big issue (at least for me). It happens to me but nowhere near as often as the OP. Like I said, it happens more for me in premades than in solo-queue, but I can choose who I premake with, so that's not a problem. When I solo-queue, I prefer faster matches, which is why I prefer 3v3, but I can just carry 3v3 matches whether I play a DPS'er, CC'er, or even a Tank. I definitely can't carry a 5v5 match as a tank though, which is what I like to play in 5v5, ah well. I actually don't mind if people get upset / leave / rage quit / ****-talk my own teammates during matches. I often just ignore them and still try to win by leading my other teammates / coordinating them / giving advice on how to deal with the biggest problems on the enemy team. A lot of simple things can help to turn a match around, just by talking to your teammates and giving advice / leading them (if the issue is that they have no clue what to do), or at least make the match a lot closer, and more fun. Either way, I always try to win and learn something from every match if possible. Sometimes it works pretty well, other times, it doesn't, but sometimes I also like that challenge too.

PackMan97

04-19-2010

I have noticed that leaving/rage quitting is far more common in the lower levels. The higher you get, the higher ELO you get, the less often it happens.

Aindin

04-19-2010

With regards to Queue dodging, I have no problem leaving a game where someone initially starts out as a whiner. When you have someone who has no place calling mid, and just sticking to their wishes for mid. It doesn't matter to them what other Champion is on the team, they want their solo lane. This is a team sport, and if you're not going to play with the team's interest in mind I'm not going to be joining you for a game.

I've seen it happen too many times where an idiot takes mid, gets his rear handed to him by an Ashe or someone else and then he rage quits. Not my cup o' tea thank you.

Lyrre

04-19-2010

I have a good story about this. Me and 2 friends queued up on SR, got matched up with a zilean who asked to lane with our sion, but my 2 friends wanted to lane together (we were on ts) he complained but eventually laned with me and was competent enough to help me go 4-0 at the start (as udyr).

At some point, he started complaining about not being able to lane with sion, so to be nice we switched, then after a while started raging at our sion for not "playing seriously" as sion didn't want to charge into bushes into a full health pantheon/kennen as this zil wanted him to.

Zil then proceeded to sell all of his items, buy 30+ wards, and surround our nexus in them, then power feed the enemy team after the surrender failed. The sad thing is, we were winning by a lot before this started, but after he started feeding jax, I couldnt 1v1 him anymore (i could most of the game easily)

This is by far the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen, and indeed I wish there was some sort of vote kick option or at least a way to report someone was a bad sport so people like this dont just get away with it.