Amumu: the undiscovered talent (and anti tank)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lehonightus

04-18-2010

Okay to start I like to say that Amumu has been kicked aside and rarely used until he comes around free and i think i know why. I believe that people underestimate damage over time spells and only go for the heavy shots (ie all of Ryze's spells). Think of it this way: Amumu is like Teemo. He may look squishy and easy to kill but his damage will sneak up on you and... SLAUGHTER YOU. Anyway onto the meat of this guide. I will explain how to use Amumu using a build similar to an AP Nunu build but this guide will use AP overtime instead of all at once. Not only will tanks fear you but so will DPS champs because of your naturally high health. When use correctly and with a little finesse by end game Amumu will be... unstoppable.

Masteries: I usually go high into AP increases and regens so 21-0-9 will work just fine. (For anyone under level 30 pour all into Offensive and remaining into utility.)

Rune: I don't use them which may make me look like a loser but i suppose any regeneration (health or mana will work) and i suppose attack damage or AP will help as well. Im not a wizz on runes though (sorry).

Summoner Spells: The funny thing about Amumu is that he's totally set up for this build yet people still tank with him. AMUMU HAS MANA. by getting Rod of Ages and utilizing Amumu's own base mana you may find yourself with too much mana in which case you must dominate harder to tire yourself out. For summoner spells i would use exhaust with heal, ignite, or clairvoyance (which is so awesome for twisted treeline)

Abilities: Okay this is the most important part of this guide. Everyone thinks that Amumu's bandage toss ability (which deals initial damage and stuns his target is most important and they would be wrong. Amumu's best abiility by far is his despair early mid and late game. Despair drains a percentage of his enemies' health every second. This ability is a toggled ability and has a very quick cooldown. I would suggest alternating between Despair and Bandage toss to set yourself up well late game. (You can start off with a Bandage toss for quick early kills but it really doesn't matter.) Amumu's last two abilities are Tantrum and Curse of the Sad Mummy. Tantrum does instant damage to all nearby enemies and has a very short cooldown time. Curse of the Sad Mummy stuns all enemies near Amumu and deals damage over time + AP to everyone that was stunned. (This does effect minions).

I would prioritize abilities like so:
Curse -> Despair -> Bandage -> Tantrum

Strategy + items:
Early game- Start off by buying the Rod of ages ASAP: Start with a sapphire then ruby crystal then a yellow +40 AP staff and finally finish out the rod. From there you will go into boots (depending on opponents you may go magic resist boots or boots of swiftness). After boots go for straight AP for a while and toward the end of the game go for maybe a sunfire cape for protection and damage. Don't worry about attack damage since it will be useless to you because of how much more damage your other spells are doing. It would be like a ryze going for straight Damage you would laugh (lol) then assault him with words (fool, ownd, pwnd, [no swears though ;) ] ).
If your team starts with a boom and you get equipped early you'll be set for the game.
IMPORTANT! : Amumu is one of the best junglers in the game in twisted treeline PERIOD
Dispair will allow you to solo the dragon and lizard by level 10 easy and lizard by even lower. Both boosts will help your team tremendously. In the very beginning you may feel useless until level 2 so an early gank is not the best idea ever. However don't underestimate yourself early game. It is important that you try to control everything from kill to buffs and always be on the lookout for possible ganks. The further you pull away from the opponents the more kills you'll get and the faster you'll win.
Late Game:
By late game prepare yourself to defend yourself... from yourself. Don't be stupid but feel free to attack everyone alone that you see if you think that they cant kill you. As long as they can't kill you instantly you should have enough time to combo all of your abilities together to devastate any opponent. Start despair, Bandage in, tantrum, ultimate if your up against two or more. Then when they surrender like boring people complain that you didn't get enough kills =)

Thank you for reading my guide and leave me comments on how it all worked for you.

Concretar

04-18-2010

tl;dr

this bump kindly begs you to format it into something easy to read (but it might just be me, got a headache)..

objectivesea

04-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehonightus View Post
IMPORTANT! : Amumu is one of the best junglers in the game in twisted treeline PERIOD
What does one of the best mean here? Because I can think of 10 other champions that can jungle earlier in TT than Amumu, and do a better job pushing towers and battling in team fights.

tbh, I'd rather take Mundo, Jax, Shen, Udyr, Taric, Rammus, Poppy, Tryndamere, Sion, Blitzcrank, Maphite in terms of tough physical heroes On top of that list, there are another dozen or so champs that would be better suited for the map.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-18-2010

Amumu's not that great on TT. You don't farm as much gold as on SR, and you have massive cooldowns on Toss and Tantrum at low levels, making them somewhat useless for early fights. In fact, Rod of Ages on TT itself is a terrible investment since games generally don't last that long.

In any case, Despair is also terrible at low levels. Let's say you have level 3 Despair. It's 2.9% per second. A champion by level 5 generally has about 1000 HP. 2.9% of 1000 is 29 damage/sec.
Not too impressive.

roninsm

04-18-2010

Amumu should really be built as a tank. AP is ok, but you kinda ignore his ability to initiate (and survive) if you do it.

Oh, and lvl10 is really late to be able to solo dragon. WW or fiddle can take it down way earlier, and if dragon is still sitting there at lvl10, both teams are doing something wrong.

Dargus

04-18-2010

I've never played Amumu so I can't really offer any advice but I've seen tanky builds that do insanely well with sunfire capes and such.

Changief

04-18-2010

I wish there was a statistic for "Most common soul captured" for Mordekaiser.. Amumu would be head and shoulders above every other champion on my list.

Dunno why he's so easy to kill.. He just is.

Merovinge

04-18-2010

He has terrible stats for a tank, maybe even the worst, which is why he is so squishy. Also Tantrum's passive is horrendous versus champions, and the skill in general has been nerfed into one of the worst left in LoL.

roninsm

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovinge View Post
He has terrible stats for a tank, maybe even the worst, which is why he is so squishy. Also Tantrum's passive is horrendous versus champions, and the skill in general has been nerfed into one of the worst left in LoL.
Maybe so, but if you don't build tank items, you will insta-die when you initiate, which is kinda counterproductive.

Gies

04-19-2010

Chalice>Tabi's> 4x Sunfire Capes....and proceed to melt faces.