How do I play a GOOD Corki?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Master Dim Sum

07-10-2011

I'm trying to learn Corki, he just seems like a really fun carry. And yeah a carry that not everyone plays. But at the same time I am having a hard time playing him well (my guess is that's also probably why not a lot of people play him).

Okay first off, I don't play ranked games...yet. So yeah mainly need help for solo queue games.

I've tried two builds:

Regi's Build (Starting with manamune).
Some Random Build (I think it goes D. Blade x 2, Sheen, Trin Force/Black Cleaver, IE/Phantom)
Boots obviously are situational either Zerks or M. Treads

Anyway

Early Game: I'm farming like crazy, I really try not to harass until I hit level 6 and got rockets.
Mid game: Still farming
Late Game: lol STILL farming and jumping into team fights.

Anyway, I do find late game is where I come in, but I just feel like mid game where I should be doing damage, I'm not.

I always try to save W as escape mechanic. But yeah during team fights. I try to spam rockets prior to, and during. If I use E...sometimes the problem is it puts me so deep into the team fight I can get focused on killed.

As for farming. I usually do phos bomb and rocket, sometimes I even W over a group of minions, Phos bomb, auto attack.

But yeah..I've seen all sorts of build advice, but no real play styles.

BTW also I've seen masteries all over the place? any recommendations? 21-0-9?
2-7-21?

Killer10347

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

Just know right off the bat that I'm not a corki player. Tried him, figured he's too difficult for me to spend my time learning to master him when I don't even main as ranged carrys. However, here's my advice.
Corki is a strong champion and has a few good tactics of dealing decent damage to enemies. First off, you want to start harassing your enemy the most when all melee minions on enemy team in your lane are dead, and only 3 or less ranged ones are up. It's common sense Just auto attack, phosphorous bomb them immediatly after the first autoattack if they don't start running back. If they do, don't bother, just rince and repeat until they finally decide to face you. Unless you have an exaust/ignite or a flash ability, you shouldn't use valkarie as an offensive or as an initiation ability. However, if you do have either of these, it may be considered viable to valk in when 1v1(again, with your enemy minions being low) and commit to a fight. Try to vlak behind them, so as to have a longer range on them. start with phos bomb, then gatlin gun. If the fight goes sour, flash to safety or use your ignite/exaust combo if you feel it will secure the kill. Or just exaust them and run, that can sometimes work. It all depends on who you're fighting against. Keep in mind that there are also jungle minions such as wraith that you can easily phos+ult for bonus gold, to increase farm/lvl/items/dmg/kills/wins in that order.
When I play corki, I don't spam rockets unless I know there is a good chance they will hit. Try predicting your enemy's movement. If you shoot strait at them and they move down all the time, try shooting down so they will run into your bomb unexpectedly. Aim your big one carefully! Make sure to use the terrain to your advantage when escaping with vlakarie. In a teamfight, never use it to initiate or to deal dmg. It's your escape and it will save you more than it will help you deal damage. Thats all the advice i can offer. Items will vary but I like rushing manamune. Depending on my enemy I get doran or sometimes boots+3 hp pot. Since corki has no innate lifesteal, doran someties doesn't give enough hp back when you're low and fighting an agressive enemy.

Amaniania

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

I personally also go with manamune first, but what you have to understand if you do this is that your mid game will be extremely weak. Manamune adds extremely little in terms of damage for the cost, however the tear allows you to be dominant in lane, and you'll never have any mana problems.

If you want, try out a build that doesn't include manamune first, and see how you like it. I found my damage was significantly higher mid game, but I was constantly having mana problems if I wanted to spam my abilities (which you should be doing as corki). You may even try rushing tear, but only upgrading it to manamune after you finish your trinity.

Corki is a difficult champion to play, the main reason being your ult is useful at long range, but your e and autoattack require you to be in close range. Play him some more, and you'll learn when you should be right in there gunning them down, and when you should be spamming missiles from afar.

And as killer said, save your W for escapes

Woofah

07-10-2011

I main corki and I think he is the best champion to carry a team with because he does such insane damage.

I use a similar build to reginald with manamune but after triforce I improvise based on how the game is going.
if we have healer > black cleaver.
if we have no healer > bloodthirster.
if they have a fed AP carry who can nuke me > banshees veil.
if I feel it's likely that I will get ultied by warwick or malzahar > quicksilver sash.
most of the time I will end up with bloodthirster and banshees and a last whisper to finish up(may get earlier if they have multiple people stacking armor.

Starting items depend on where you are going to lane. bottom with a healer > doran's, otherwise boots 3 hp pots.

I usually get my lvl 2 boots quite late because they aren't as important as finishing manamune and trinity force.

I prefer going manamune instead of rushing triforce because despite what amaniania posted it actually gives you over 40 damage when you get it and it will only increase the higher your mana pool gets. The only time you will feel like you aren't doing much damage is before you upgrade your tear to a manamune.

My runes are slightly different from reginald's, I go for flat damage quints, armor seals and magic resist glyphs to make me a very tough laner against all types of opponents and boost my damage to a point where I can freely trade hits with any other AD carry early game especially with phospherous bomb.
I go 21-8-1 and use flash ghost for summoners.
I also max E after 2 points in phospherous bomb because E actually scales with your attacks much better and you will not need q for damage just for the sheen proc and miss chance.

Wether to go bottom or take a solo lane depends on preferance but I would only go bottom with a support who is giving me farm because I would be gimping myself if I could not take all minions. With a good support I like bot better than a solo lane since levels are much less important for corki than items.

early game: you must try to see what would be the best way to lane. play passive and farm or harass and deny. Try to figure out if your enemy is a good player or if his character is stronger than yours in lane. If you feel like you can attempt to harass them you should use phospherous bomb a lot and attack them once or twice.
Minions are still the number 1 priority, you should have one of the highest creepscores of both teams.

Mid game: you can ask for lizard buff and try to gank a little but remember don't let minions go to the turret, FARM THEM!! if you get a kill or two you can kill dragon or push a turret.
Something to note is that you should focus on farming everywhere on the map. you should be greedy for all the minions you can get your hands on until you can buy trinity force. this holds true especially when your turret is pushed, dont hang around doing nothing go look for farm.

Late game: you can start calling teamfights as soon as you have trinity force. Pot up if you have spare money and go ripping stuff to shreds.

Teamfights:
The way you should teamfight is: get banshees off with rockets and harass with them if they cannot keep up with heals. Let your tank initiate and start attacking the closest enemy until you see them run towards you. stay at max range and if they have gap closers use your valkyrie and summoners to get to safety unless you feel like you can easily 1v1 them. try to never get caught or get greedy and go in too deep or you will die. Don't be afraid to attack tanks, just pop E and their hp will drop sooner than you think.
It's very important for corkis damage to auto attack them during your E and just as much as you can during the whole fight even while spamming missiles.

My ranked win loss ratio with corki is 80% with a 6.5 KDA ratio at 1600 elo right now. haven't played a lot of ranked yet but in normals I hardly lose when playing with corki. I just love pulling back a lost game by bursting down their entire team in seconds while they are unable to get to me because of corkis awesome escape spell.
A lot of games I will not get fed early and we are behind several kills but once I get some items and teamfights start I usually end up with a legendary kill streak. If I get fed early it leads to a 20 minute surrender most of the time.

I hope my tips will help you and if you have more questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Warrrrax

07-11-2011

Corki never really autoattacks an opponent consistently like Trist and Ashe tend to. He usually weaves his spells inbetween attacks.
This means...
a) Attack Speed is nice but isn't as valuable in general on Corki as it is for others.
b) Sheen/Triforce procs are VERY well utilized by Corki due to his combat style.
c) He wants to boost AD significantly as all his stuff scales off of it.
d) He needs lots of mana to be effective.

A tear is very valuable for Corki since he builds it up fairly cheaply and easily and it provides longevity and ability to dominate your lane by spamming spells.

From a tear to manamune is 1300 gold. For doing this, you get about 50 AD which is a pretty good deal! Hence, I always upgrade immediately. As your mana pool gets fatter, so does your AD.

From Manamune, TriForce is strong. Corki utilizes all aspects of it very nicely, including the AP, mana pool boost, and crit. He especially likes the slow-proc, the uber triforce sheen proc, and the movespeed boost. The extra health is certainly welcome too.

After this, a banshee is my recommendation. I get a negatron right after tear to plug my MR hole, then upgrade to banshee later on.

Then you can work on a Bloodthirster or Black Cleaver. I take a vamp scepter fairly early to keep my health topped off. I can upgrade it later on.

Lizto

07-11-2011

Even though people tend to build corki manamune, trinity, bloodthirster, banshees, merc treds. I like a more AA based corki. Rushing infinity edge, and phantom dancer, merc treds (unless enemy has no threatening CC), Banshees, bloodthirster, randuins (it helps when xin zhao jumps at you).

Building like that does two main things, positive and negative.

Your skill damage is a bit lower than the regular corki build, and fighting while keeping a distance wont be as profitable as such, there are times when youre forced to fight from afar, being 1) low hp 2) when theres a very threatening enemy to shut you down. But again, the AD/AP diff is actually no more than 50 (its actually like 30-35 on each), so in terms of damage from skills its not that noticable. What hurts your damage output throughout skills the most is that you have no manamune, so you have to get blue or manage your mp, however, managing it is not that hard.

As for the good thing about this build, this build is good because it allows you to have higher damage output. On a fight where you can get close to autoattack, just as you will if you want to proc your trinity, this build will provide more damage. It will also allow you to take down big jungle creeps faster.
It is also easier to learn if youre used to other carries such as Ashe and Tristana. The farming is also very good, even without manamune/blue, as your R can allow you to farm with low mp cost anyway, I dont usually run out of mp. Also 1 gatling is already enough to clear a wave (more mp effective for farming that Q and R)

Both builds are great, I guarantee, and of course, for defensive items, really, take them when you think is needed, no point in rushing damage if you die before doing much, no point in going really tanky if you dont deal enough damage (youre the carry after all)

Oh yeah, as for laning, you want to level QWQEQRQEQ(lv9, maxed Q) After that priority R->E->W. Q is a great "nuke" you could say, harass with it, it has good range, dont wait till level 6. When engaging start with Q->R->E, its great burst sometimes Im amazed at how much people's hp can drop within a second just from that, they will start running once they taste your damage (and its really the right choice, not many people can win against corki. Corki actually has a very strong early/mid game for a carry.

ZPGefEKwQNWP2KRT

07-11-2011

biggest tip is to farm more faster.
He has the easiest time farming at lvl 6-7 onwards. If you itemize manamune and your jungler is a ganker, just clear waves, clear jung using w to move b/w camps, and clear more waves.

Warrrrax

07-12-2011

While I understand where Litzo is coming from, the fact is that Corki does have a lot more spell damage than most carries. You really need to take advantage of this, or you mine as well just play Tristana or Ashe or MF, etc.

I can see how a Corki might consider taking a Chalice or a Philo Stone to help with their mana issues for cheaper, vs Manamune. BUT, Corki really does need SOMETHING. If you cannot get a blue buff consistently, then you will have to "manage your mana", which basically means you don't use your spells! Hence, less damage dealt. It is doable, but you are kind of defeating the purpose of Corki if you only rarely use your offensive spells.
Once again, Trist has better range, the same mobility, and an AS steriod booster as well as a knockback. If you want Phantom Dancer/Inf Edge with no mana regen, just play Trist.

Lizto

07-12-2011

Actually, the mp managing "problems on" corki are simply that you cant just blow up all your spells while farming. Which is why I mentioned gatling gun is enough to clear a wave, I may not mention it, but yes I do get philosopher stone for laning, I dont have any mp problems while laning either, all I got to do is last hit anyway, not spam my skills to push lane and get ganked. Of course, spamming Q and R is faster, as they both will deal instant damage, but one E is all you need, I still use my Rs to farm. I never said I rarely used any spells, and I seldom run out of mp either way.

Either way, I mentioned the pros and cons of each build, you could say corki is my main and I have tested over and over, the damage with the build I use IS higher, and tbh, Ive seen many high Elo people selling manamune if the game drags on, just because they want something more useful than just raw AD and mp.

And for the record, trist and corkis mobility is different and is situational, just like you say trist has AS steroid, corki has armor shredder. I dont even know why you mention buster shot either, trists ignore that skill late game, only used to finish someone off if theyre completely sure it will deal a killing blow, or to escape. Corkis escape is faster, Trists escape is slower, but more accurate. Trist has longer range, corki has true damage. Trist has NO burst late game, her burst implies jumping in the middle of a fight or knocking someone away, so she doesnt use it. Corki also doesnt unintentionally push the lane, he pushes it when he wants to.

Corki and trist are both very different champions, comparing them is pointless. And dont get me wrong, Tristana is my second favourite AD carry, but dude, you really dont know what makes a champion a champion. And your argument sounds a bit like "Why play Ashe when you can play MF? Ashe has a slow, MF has a slow that deals more damage, MF has an ultimate that deals huge damage, MF runes faster, MF has higher attack speed, and deals magic damage. Ashe's slow isnt that good anyway, so yeah people should only go MF" A bit like that...comparing two UNIQUE champions.

Warrrrax

07-12-2011

Well, I hope people are not spamming their spells during early laning to farm. I mean, who does that with ANY champion? People use their spells to harass the enemy and if they happen to kill a few creeps, great. Even idiots who blindly autoattack creeps dont waste their nukes on them.

You kinda made my point though. I said that I can understand using a cheaper alternative to control mana issues such as Philo Stone, Chalice, etc. You said you use a Philo Stone, which does provide a decent amount of mana regen.

I still contend that playing Corki with no blue buff, mana regen runes, meditate, or mana item is a bad idea because he uses his nukes moreso than most carries.

Whether one decides to use manamune or chalice or philo stone is up to them.