whats a good Zilean build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlowSmoke

07-10-2011

Can anyone help me out and tell me a decent build for Zil please.

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

I personally prefer straight AP.

My personal build is Dorans Ring to start. Laning? Just harass with bombs, and farm up for a Mejais. Then build an Archangels or Morellos for spamming. I prefer Archangels for the mana and more AP.

Zilean does one thing really, really well.

Poke. Always stay at the back and be very wary of any danger. My build is glass cannon because Zilean doesn't NEED to be in the thick of things to be dangerous. Bombs have excellent range, and if anyone dashes to you through your team, slow them and leave them to your team.

Straight AP comes with 2 main advantages. 1: Bombs. They have a .9 AP ratio which is pretty high for an AoE that can be doubled up quickly. Especially with their range, they're excellent pokes. Don't try to outburst someone. You'll fail. They're pokes and supportive burst. Impressive support burst, but you're no Annie or Veigar.

And 2, your ult has a 2:1 AP ratio on bonus health returned upon revival. On top of the base 1000 health, you will be reviving your teammates with full health. This is VERY powerful come late game.

You want assists, and killsteals whenever possible. If you stack your Mejais, and you can because Zilean is a pretty safe champion when played well, your bombs will start to hit like trucks. Trucks that EXPLODE.

RobertFreeman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

He needs:
Catalyst/RoA. It lets him sustain his harass forever in lane, and he can use the AP.
Cooldown reduction, AP, more Damage, and faster gold: Get Kage's and Codex, and when you want, turn them into DFG. Morello's is an alternative here, but DFG is very nice as Zilean only has two sources of damage otherwise -- Q, and autoattacks.
More CDR! Tanky Zil's get Frozen Heart.
Shoes: Daring Zils get Sorcerer's Shoes. Some might get Speed 3 boots, but Mercury's Treads are better. Lucidity boots aren't awful if you're having trouble itemizing for CDR.

If you're playing him more Supportive, CDR takes high priority over AP. If you're playing him offensive, which is harder and less rewarding in my opinion, build massive AP. Early mana is very important, and tankiness never hurts -- although he is NOT a tank.

BlowSmoke

07-10-2011

thanks

saucycalf

07-10-2011

My favorite Zilean is pure support (meaning no AP until late game - kills should go to your carries!). Start with two Faerie charms and potions, build up to Shurelya's and Merc Treds, Soul Shroud, and eventually Hourglass/Abyssal/Deathcap. I avoid taking last hits (would rather give to my carry). This build winds up with impressive HP, CDR, survivability, and constant lane harass, with multiple speed bursts and snares for you and your carries. I've won multiple games by making less-than-spectacular carries wtfpwn with speed/snares and rezzes.

If you like playing a support role, this is THE way to go.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...you-dont-48749

Giltia Zero

07-10-2011

Shurelya's? Really?

I mean, I'll vouch for Soul Shroud. The thing is way too expensive, but it's an excellent full team aura. Shurelya's however is a 2 second movement speed boost. Rarely is this helpful. And the item itself is pretty useless. I'd rather build a Morellos Tome for the cooldown reduction as a support.

Although honestly, I find Zilean is very poor built as an Aura Support. He IS a support, but not the same as Janna or Sona. Zilean is more of a burst/utility support than a heal/disruption support.

saucycalf

07-10-2011

The CDR, manareg, hpreg, and speedburst justify the cost (imo), not to mention the items building up to Shurelya's benefit your early game substantially. Granted this only works as long as you have a team you can trust. It just depends how you play I guess. I like the AP build when the team isn't so balanced or I wanna rofl at doublebombing someone who overextended, but when playing with players I can trust I generally go full-support.

SSBM Freak

07-10-2011

Yes, Shurelias is worthless, especially when 3 of the enemy team members just barely escape with less than 100 hp and they had no 2 second speed boost to secure the ace and by extension the game.

Do NOT underestimate movement speed buffs.

(Don't lie, you know you've had multiple people escaping at once on more than one occasion.)

Giltia Zero

07-10-2011

Yes, and if they get away, they get away and you start pushing down turrets for MORE gold than they're worth.

Chasing people is stupid in almost any scenario.

And no, a 2 second speedboost would not help me catch them. There may be times where it would, obviously, but these situations are so few and far between as to be pointless.

Morellos has better cooldown reduction, and AP, along with comparable mana regen. As a support, you should never NEED health regen since your place is at the back, away from all the damage.

I will however admit that a Philo Stone is a very nice support item. Since it is, and Gold per 5 will get you items. Thing is, you never need to sell it. And upgrading it means you stop recieving free gold. In its place you get an item that nobody needs.

Cradum

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucycalf View Post
My favorite Zilean is pure support (meaning no AP until late game - kills should go to your carries!). Start with two Faerie charms and potions, build up to Shurelya's and Merc Treds, Soul Shroud, and eventually Hourglass/Abyssal/Deathcap. I avoid taking last hits (would rather give to my carry). This build winds up with impressive HP, CDR, survivability, and constant lane harass, with multiple speed bursts and snares for you and your carries. I've won multiple games by making less-than-spectacular carries wtfpwn with speed/snares and rezzes.

If you like playing a support role, this is THE way to go.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...you-dont-48749
If you're zilean, you are a carry.