Maokai - OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ashhearth

07-10-2011

The last few matches I have been kicking ass and taking names, usually despite my teammates

And Every **** Time(tm) one of the opposing team complains that maokai is OP or "sleeper OP".
Now normally I'd just dismiss this but it keeps happening; so I turn to you dear forum.

Is Maokai really so OP or is this merely sore loser crying?

GalacticFlame

07-10-2011

Sore loser cying. Not to sound harsh, but that's what people do, they can't blame themselves, therefore they say X is OP. Example, if they somehow get stomped by a Yorick (pre-buff) they would say Yorick is OP.

ashhearth

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticFlame View Post
Sore loser cying. Not to sound harsh, but that's what people do, they can't blame themselves, therefore they say X is OP. Example, if they somehow get stomped by a Yorick (pre-buff) they would say Yorick is OP.
That's what I thought too, but it's happening EVERY GAME.

They can't all be blame-shifters.

GalacticFlame

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhearth View Post
That's what I thought too, but it's happening EVERY GAME.

They can't all be blame-shifters.
Wow, you must be really good then. What ELO are you? What level are you? It's usually at the lower level that people complain. Hm, there's no QQ on the forums about Maokai, and Riot hasn't done anything to Maokai recently. Perhaps you're just getting paired with whiners? That, and you must be a monster Maokai. :P

Geralt z Rivia

07-10-2011

I've recently bought Maokai, and after a few games with him I think he's perfectly balanced. The knockback could be a little more clear (launch into the air or into a wall) cuz atm i can hardly tell if i knocked them or just slowed them.

The biggest thing about Maokai is you need to have faith in your team mates, just like amumu. if you engage and your team doesnt follow, you're gonna get wrecked. But if your team runs in and stays in your ult, you'll have a better chance of succeeding.

ashhearth

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticFlame View Post
Wow, you must be really good then. What ELO are you? What level are you? It's usually at the lower level that people complain. Hm, there's no QQ on the forums about Maokai, and Riot hasn't done anything to Maokai recently. Perhaps you're just getting paired with whiners? That, and you must be a monster Maokai. :P
I don't play maokai in ranked, In only do 5v5's and my team usually needs a decent jungler.

So mostly in normals, though I can't give my normal elo, I know I have 563 wins and 505 losses. The normals part might explain it, but it's still a huge amount of people complaining.

FYI, I think he's balanced too.

Autocthon

07-10-2011

Quote:
I don't play maokai in ranked, In only do 5v5's and my team usually needs a decent jungler.

So mostly in normals, though I can't give my normal elo, I know I have 563 wins and 505 losses. The normals part might explain it, but it's still a huge amount of people complaining.

FYI, I think he's balanced too.
It's just normals. and Jungle Maokai is... Particularly adept at being tanky and damaging.

Lane Mao usually opts for earlier tankiness, which is why you're feeling OP to them. Plus Mao is a pretty rare pick.

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

did u build ap or tanky? cause it's kinda weird for them to be calling the tank op. i wouldn't say he's op but he's pretty **** strong and a stun slow damage reduction and a sapling that doubles as a mini ward.

ashhearth

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavinh the third View Post
did u build ap or tanky? cause it's kinda weird for them to be calling the tank op. i wouldn't say he's op but he's pretty **** strong and a stun slow damage reduction and a sapling that doubles as a mini ward.
My usual build is rush a rod of ages, then get another giants belt + negatron cloak and chanimail. From there on I kinda look at what their damage is and build defense aginst that first. turn that second gians belt into either a rylai's or a warmogs depending on the situation.

Autocthon

07-10-2011

Quote:
My usual build is rush a rod of ages, then get another giants belt + negatron cloak and chanimail. From there on I kinda look at what their damage is and build defense aginst that first. turn that second gians belt into either a rylai's or a warmogs depending on the situation.
I personally find that Mao shines when you get some extra AP (RoA+Rylai's). I skip Warmog's personally even tho it is REALLY good on Mao. And I always end up turning my negatron and chainvest into AP items...

My team runs double off-tank a lot.