Let's Talk About AP Tristana.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlonneChan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-09-2011

Tristana's a champion that's been out for a while, not getting any substantial nerfs, buffs or otherwise any changes at all for a long time, telling me she's regarded as being balanced. However, the AP ratios on three of her skills are... Well, nothing less than amazing. Rocket Jump is on about a .8:1 Damage:AP Ratio which can strike many champions at once and refreshes on kill or assist. Explosive Shot is a 1:1 Damage:AP Ratio damage-over-time that reduces healing and fools people into thinking they can escape, so they blow summoner's such as Flash and Ghost to get away. And finally, the show-stopper; Buster Shot, with it's 1.5:1 Damage:AP Ratio. That means if all you have is an Amplifying Tome with it's +20 AP, Buster Shot deals +30 damage to whoever you're shooting.

AP Tristana turning Lv6 is more terrifying than AP Annie turning Lv6.

Here's what's got me concerned about AP Tristana: I'm in mid-lane, getting harassed kind-of hard against, I don't know, some Ezreal or Ashe. They're at full health, I'm pretty low. I turn Lv6, then suddenly throw down my entire burst of Rocket Jump, making sure to cast Ignite while I'm in the air to get the extra AP for my other skills, then Explosive Shot for an additional damage-over-time, then Buster Shot them away from me to their turret. They Flash+Ghost away with 200+ HP into the fog.

First-Blood: Tristana has slain [Ashe/Ezreal].

I want to reiterate that they were at full health with their Doran's Blade, having ~850 HP at our Lv6s. Should this kind-of burst be possible? Because it doesn't get any better for the enemy beyond that point. I'm able to zone the enemy from behind my minions because they don't know when I'm going to rocket-jump-burst again. Even if it doesn't three-hit-KO them at that point, which it probably will, it will send them back to base, and by the time they get back, Buster Shot's only got 30 seconds left until it's usable again. Then there's the effortless tower-diving, as Rocket Jump refreshes on enemy champion kill or assist. If this is working as intended, then I have no idea why anyone would play AD Tristana over AP Tristana. Yeah, her cooldowns mean that you can't do much after your burst in standard team-fights, but if you can vaporize one of them on-whim then rocket-jump away, especially their fragile damage-dealers, then the enemy team is crippled beyond repair. Then there's the clean-up aspect, where you can "goomba-stop" enemies who are at consecutively low health, killing them and hitting other enemy champions with your Rocket Jump, and with it's high AP ratio damage, each jump hurts.

I want to hear the community's thoughts. What's your perspective on AP Tristana? Is she balanced/unbalanced? Is it legitimate in ranked or higher ELO games? Why or why not? Let's talk about it.

Ebonclaw

07-09-2011

A) You play against real noobie players.

B) In your Match History, your K/D as AP Trist (in 8 matches) is under 1.2:1 so..... hardly looks like the pattern of an "overly successful Carry situation".

C) In case you don't see what I'm getting at, I do not hold a high opinion of the functionality of AP Trist builds, and nothing that you've presented here is compelling enough to consider.

kwjnfkjsdg

07-09-2011

I agree. AP tristana is insane. her laning is simply godlike and there's nothing better than one-shotting a veigar mid game.

while she is an incredible early game champ, her late game is terrible, as she is mostly single target burst.

imo she's like a different version of leblanc.

completely viable in low-mid elo play, but not in competitive high elo games. this is also the case with other early game nukers - leblanc, kassadin, etc.

FlonneChan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
A) You play against real noobie players.
Yeah, I guess those guys made a mistake, staying in their lane with full health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
B) In your Match History, your K/D as AP Trist (in 8 matches) is under 1.2:1 so..... hardly looks like the pattern of an "overly successful Carry situation".
Just because I'm not good at it doesn't mean it can't be good. Between my ineptitude and my connection made of duct tape and spit, I can hardly get anything done. Fact of the matter is that having enough burst to rend someone from full health to 0 is ridiculous in anyone's hands.

KingDeleter

07-18-2011

It sounds like a good idea, but i prefer damage/attack speed tristana, with infinity edge, black cleaver, and boots. but i dont normally put much armor on her :P but again, AP trist sounds like she can be deadly

Warrrrax

07-18-2011

Your problem is that AP trist doesn't farm very well *(see below). So she is very dependent on taking mid, getting a few kills, and going ganking and killing a lot during the midgame.
During this time, nobody has MR and her burst is quite strong.

By endgame, she becomes an anti-carry basically, using her huge burst to take out their Ashe,etc. But she loses the ability to carry without having any AD. Her nukes are also fairly short ranged and she can't really do anything without jumping in right in the middle of the enemy formation.
Sure, she can THEORETICALLY jump in, kill someone, jump again get another kill and jump/kill all 5 enemies.
But this is even less likely than AP Master Yi's Alpha with Ult up.

notes:
She did get BUFFED too, since you dont have to max her E (explosive shot) to get the full 1.0 AP ratio. Before, AP ratio was 0.2 per second with more ranks increasing duration (and thus AP)

* Yeah she can rocket jump to farm but this makes her vulnerable for a while and also costs a lot of mana. You really want manaless farm so you don't have to buy a bunch of mana regen stuff.

Unparallelogram

07-18-2011

High ratios are made a lot less appealing by high cooldowns. A squishy having to jump directly into the enemy team with no guarantee of a way out is also quite unappealing.

Compare this with a more traditional AP carry like Annie who has shorter cooldowns and can nuke relatively safely from the edge of their range. Their ratios don't look so impressive but they get to use them a lot more often.

To rely on the cooldown refresh of the jump is basically like playing AP Yi. The moment you fail to get that next kill in time, you get focused and die.

Eppa

07-18-2011

If you prepare for the burst you will be fine, She has slightly stronger burst at level 6 than Annie but she has no hard cc and she is forced into melee range with her main nuke. If the game was only the laning phase AP trist might be viable but once outer towers are down you are at a huge disadvantage compared to regular casters.

Redenbacher

07-18-2011

Then the laning phase ends. Your enemy buys BVeil. You have now been rendered useless.

Her AP ratios are AMAZING.Her cooldowns are horrible, Rocket Jump being the exception - IF someone dies.

Stick to auto-attacking.

Good AP ratios does not necessarily equal AP Carry viability. It might work in 3s, but in 5s, there are much better options. AP Trist is not more 'threatening' than Annie at level 6, because after Annie uses her combo, in just a couple of seconds she's ready for round two.

If you want to play an AP carry where you can instant-kill any other enemy middle who over-extends, play Malzahar.

That said, you typically don't go back to base to get any significant AP before 6 anyway. That tells me that AD Trist can do roughly the same level 6 burst that AP Trist can. Change up your Runes and skill order for a stronger, burstier early game if that's your preference, but don't ignore that she is a much better AD carry than AP.

SaintDiogenic

07-18-2011

sounds interestin' ~!!! (^_^)b
builds ?