Armor Pen vs. Attack Dmg

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leninon

05-27-2011

XDXD
Kayle so far
The Black Cleaver
Last Whisper
Void Rod (thinking of changing)

Thought this HAD to be considered long ago....armor pen helps more especially taric and sora Healer/light-tank

310armored cho in novice droppes in seconds though Im lv16 (a little hard to do right---Tedious)
Turret time is still a problem though; and so is minion time

ALSO NOTE: The Black Cleaver "Group Pens"

zebano

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiar View Post
Armor Pen Runes > ATK dmg runes. ALWAYS.
False.

When running a tiger jungle as Udyr, Atk dmg > Arm Pen because the damage scales off of AD but is magical.

CrossBlades

05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illilillili View Post
"armor penetration > attack damage"

That makes no sense. If you think that's true, supply the math.

Consider someone with base 100 attack damage attacking someone with base 300 armor. The attacker will do 100 * 100 / (300 + 100) == 25 damage.

Now assume the attacker has the choice between buying 100 units of attack damage or 100 units of armor penetration. With the attack damage choice, they will do: 200 * 100 / (300 + 100) == 50 damage. With armor penetration, they will do 100 * 100 / (300 - 100 + 100) == 33.33...

So, maybe AD is better against someone with a whole lot of armor. What if the defender just had 100 units of armor. Base damage is then 100 * 100 / (100 + 100) == 50 damage. With 100 extra units of damage: 200 * 100 / (100 + 100) == 100 damage. With 100 extra units of armor penetration: 100 * 100 / (100 - 100 + 100) == 100 damage.

So... If armor penetration exactly eliminates all the armor, it does as much damage as buying the equivalent amount of attack damage.
: officially confused, thank you

Kedlas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotexey View Post

its only worth it if you don't penetrate past 0 armor or if you plan on focusing tanks. Late game when tanks have over 200 armor, your armor pen is not as useful anyway, which is why i always grab a last whisper and only last whisper for armor pen.
I have to agree that late game armor pen is kinda useless on tank by itself, so grabbing a last whisper will boost your damage a lot, another thing to add is that if you can totally reduce a champion armor, for example, a fiddlesticks lvl 6 is worth 30 armor without runes or anything, if u manage to have 31 armor pen or more with yommus ghostblade, you can deal more damage than your true damage via last whisper, armor pen will downgrade the enemy armor til it reaches 0, after that, with last whisper it deals more dmg.

obs: i'm based on tests i made with a friend on custom games and we clearly saw more than a true damage in this case.

malphismia

06-28-2011

armor pen runes if you get brutalizer, AD runes if you get last whisper. depends on how you build him

i always get brutalizer on panth

w3ak

06-28-2011

ITT: People quote what was said over a year beforehand.

LuckyBoii

08-17-2012

I've tested this numerous times, buying armor pen runes over AD runes is always slightly worse.