So Alister Is The Best Tank Ehhh?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rakeash

04-15-2010

Tanks are champions that you WANT to ignore because their damage sucks, but CANT because they are able to threaten you with CC.

Alistar has an AOE knockup, a repositioning ability, and can take damage without items due to his ult.. which is why he's got a good reputation.

Skills to take.. you obviously want your ult and your CC abilities but they do so crappy damage, you only really take one rank of each and then dump everything else into your heal.

Gear.. you can take AP items in a vain attempt to make your heal/CC to more damage but it's not really worth it... most Alistars just try to help their team with auras and whatnot (the defensive auras) and try to get some cooldown reduction since he's completely and utterly useless when his CC is on cooldown.

Carados

04-15-2010

You need Flash to be a good initiator, which is his number one job.

You flash in, headbutt someone to your team, AoE stun the rest, then ult when they're on the ground.

****ty Alistars: Ult, run in, stun, then flash on the other side of someone, and throw them to the team.

GeraldTremblay

04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeash View Post
Tanks are champions that you WANT to ignore, but CANT.
Fixed

You don't necessarly need CC to be a good tank. Mundo doesn't have any (except from a 2 sec slow) and he's a good tank.

What you need is give to the other team 2 choices with no good options. As Mundo, they can either
a) ignore me while I'm eating their carry for 500 raw damage per second. I either kill him or he turns and burn and my team is free of him for the fight. For my part, I cleanse, ghost, activate burning agony and with my ult already active, zoom out of there with 10% of my hp.
b) focus me and let my carry kill them all.

I'm running a tank/dps hybrid mundo, so I can't tank as much as alistar can, but I can make pay the other team for ignoring me or soack up whatever they throw at me without too much harm.

The point is, regardless whoever you're playing, to force the enemy in this dilemma. Alistar, Singed can through their CCs. Mundo, Mordekeiser can through their dps, etc.

Rakeash

04-15-2010

Sure, you can so some damage with Mord/Mundo so they'll attack you but for only as long as better targets aren't in the fight yet, and then a tank with some CC is more valuable.

Silent Reaper

04-15-2010

Alistar WAS the best tank until they nerfed his ultimate and his heal lol....

Illuyankas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldTremblay View Post
Fixed

You don't necessarly need CC to be a good tank. Mundo doesn't have any (except from a 2 sec slow) and he's a good tank.
Tank mundo doesn't have cc which is the reason he is not a good tank, a Mundo going for DPS is good but certainly not a tank.

Xaerael

04-15-2010

There's a difference between a dedicated tank and a "brawler" type champion.
Brawlers have mid-high HP mixed with mid-high DPS, Mundo is a good example, they can deal damage and take some punishment.
High HP =/= Tank.

draydurmil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-15-2010

i play mordekaiser cause he is a tank that can kill, like mundo. alistar is a pure tank all assist. before i would say alistar is the best tank, after the nurf i would have to say garen is the new best tank.

NullValue

04-15-2010

I played Alistar quite a bit in premades but I really hate playing him in solo-queue. Alistar is a great natural tank and doesn't really need items to tank. If anything, I'd say he mainly needs cooldown reduction, mana regen, and a bit of HP.

You can experiment with lots of different item builds with Alistar, since he's so independent of items to tank, but he's also a very poor farmer. I get most of my gold from assists. This is the main reason why I hate playing Alistar in pubs, because his usefulness is completely dependent on his allies (which is too unreliable in solo-queue). If you have a good team, Alistar is amazing, much more so than most other tanks in a good team, because he really just doesn't need much farm to be a great tank, and he's strong throughout the game, from early game, setting up kills for your DPS'er that you're babysitting, to late game initiating team fights and soaking up damage / CC in place of your softer teammates so that they're free to do their thing.

Alistar is also always a threat, just due to his skills of AoE Knockup and Knockback. If you CC him in a team fight, his Ult can clean those CC's off. His AoE Knockup also reduces enemy team damage due to the virtue of stun, while keeping those targets in place for your teammates to burst down. If in a situation mid/late game where there is a lot of back and forth between teams and an enemy gets sloppy or caught with a slow, Alistar can potentially catch that person with a knockup / knockback for his team to slaughter, making the subsequent team fight a 5v4.

I've run Alistar with 0/9/21 (Ghost + Flash) and with 0/21/9 (Ghost + Cleanse) and I'm still not really sure of the best way to build him. A lot of the time, I don't really think it matters all that much, cause they are just slightly different ways to play the same role. Both ways seem just as effective to me. His independence of items is just really nice though (even though he can't farm).

But anyway, I'd say he mainly benefits from cooldown, mana regen, and some HP. It's true that an Alistar with his CC's on cooldown = pretty useless Alistar. His CC's also cost a lot of mana. His ult gives him amazing resistances / damage absorption, which is further benefited by +HP. Most other tanks in comparison generally need some tanking items (farm) before they can take the kind of abuse that Alistar can without tanking items.

Eppa

04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Reaper View Post
Alistar is the best tank even if they nerfed his ultimate and his heal lol....
Fix'd