Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Alistar build and combos?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

07-07-2011

so im playing AP ali and i need some help on the build
also can someone give me some help on pulling off the minin malph ult? (aka the head but and pulverise combo) i tihnk you have to use W and as u are moving through the air then press Q...lbut it is really hard to pull off...... i always end up hitting W and pressing Q too early before i go through the air resulting in a wasted pulverise and cancelled head but......

help with the build and combos please? thanks everyone

SmecssRaege

07-07-2011

W/Q combo:

Use headbutt, and Pulverize as you make contact with the player (After you hit, but before they fly out of pulverize range) ... Practice makes perfect, the timing is simple once you get into the rhythm of doing it

Builds are also somewhat simple for AP alistar

Start:
Early game itemization has 2 choices
-2x dorans + Boots
-Philo stone + Boots

Dorans: Much stronger hitting early game and robust HP pool (+200), and heal is stronger as well
Philo stone: Lots of lane staying power with the HP regen, coupled with gold over time

Choose your opening, and then go Rabbadons Deathcap > Lichbane > Void Staff

That's really it...there isn't much else to AP alistar that i know of.

Degini

07-07-2011

This is basically it, though there are a few things to add:

1. You can do AP alistar and still be tanky (not main tank). All you need is rabadon's and void and you are basically set, and can then build tankish if you need to. Just get a negatron cloak and a chain vest and leave them at that stage, then continue with AP until you need to upgrade them. Do not build banshees if they have champs like ashe who will just knock it down anyway. Merc treads always if you will be doing any sort of tanking, otherwise CD boots. Aegis is a nice buy if you dont have a support on the team.

2a. Runes safe - mpen red, armor yellow, CD blue, speed or health quints
- armor yellow over clarity because you will be all up in the minions face and its nice to avoid any unecessary auto damage. dont need clarity as you will be getting either double dorans or a philo stone which solves it either way

2b. Runes baller - mpen red, armor yellow, AP blue and quints
- pub stomp/tanky team build.

3. Masteries - 9/0/21 always. Take mastery points in ghost, flash and CV (ali is AP-support before he is AP-tank) CV wins games

Buy wards every trip back if you have extra gold. I don't care what you are saving for. 75g to prevent 300+g in deaths is ALWAYS worth it.

Edit: for an actual item progression to modify the above posters with more tank:
2x dorans - boots 1 - NLR if you have gold, sheen if you dont - finish rabad - chain and/or neg cloak - blasting rod for lich - finish tanky item - finish lich

Insert void staff as soon as you see them build magic resist, any time after rabadons.

IdleAltruism

07-07-2011

As others have stated, Doran's Rings are nice. Start with one and maybe pick up 1-2 more afterward if you feel you need them. After that Deathcap and Lichbane are your core. You can pick up an early sheen is you prefer it that way. After that you can build whatever you like really. Void Staff is solid, so is zhonya's. Boots can be Merc/Sorc/Lucidity, personal preference/circumstance.

As for the Q+W combo, you have to literally click Q just before the animation for W is ending. The animation would normally continue, but Alistar's base isn't actually doing anything but following through (kind of like the dance animation). This means you can cancel it with an action. That action is going to be your Q. If you do it right, you'll notice that they'll be pushed ever so slightly backwards. Their base model is getting knocked back until you hit them with your Q. You can't que the action mid charge, if that's what you were getting at. It has to be right as you actually hit them with W so that they don't move too far away. My european friends have a really difficult time doing this on the American servers. The slight difference in ping makes it incredibly difficult, so if you lag a bit it's going to be tough.

Moeyisme

07-07-2011

i'd like to sum up everyone. Doran's Ring is good because it boosts two things that Alister needs, HP and AP!

But you can't just build an AP alister without actively thinking about your team and enemy's makeup. You cannot go full AP when there are no tanks on your team. Believe me I tried.

You need to have an idea of what to rush as well. Try to guess your matchups. If the other team has ranged fighters, doran's ring in the beginning isn't that good. You should get a regrowth pendant and try to outlast them. In fact, Alister with a regrowth pendant is a great solo laner. He won't get minion kills but he will level up fast with minimal tower damage.

I have two builds. One for ranged enemies, one for heavies.
Ranged-- Rush shura's reverie--the path gives you gold/hp/mp regen from philo and cooldown(redorb). That way i can use the boots for either speed or for magic resistance passives, instead of the very expensive ionian boots(cooldown),

Melee- I do heart of greed first since i can use headbutt to keep meleers away. Meleers are lurers so you need the gold regen right off the bat. And then i get doran's ring, and ap gear.

Basically, you need to constantly look at your enemy.
Ashe and Cait are your natural enemies. You might want to rush Magic resist boots and warmogs or heart of gold if you fight ashe. you need some armor for ashe. She will just kite you to death.

<Straight UP AP>
1st Outing: boots, 2 hp pots, 1 mana
2nd Outing: ionian boots(cooldowns), heart of greed or philosophers stone(lane time)
3rd Outing: Rod of AGes or Sheen(damage, you get sheen if you need a little more damage to finish off an enemy after a stun, you get rod of ages if you respect the enemy--they might last until level 18. Rod of Ages gets progressively more and more powerful)
4th Outing: Deathfire Grasp or Doman's Deathcap, One turns your hp into ap damage, the other increases it outright. Deathfire has a true damage active so you get that if the enemy has a really tanky char like chogath.
5th outhing: Lichbane or a Abyssal sceptre--I would explain this but if you really need to buy a 5th item and you arent winning by now...well.

I have a new build now that i'm working on that I'm hoping is cheaper than all that stuff i said before. Still working out the kinks.

XTreeX

07-08-2011

NOOOO AP alistar just got a nerf in the up coming patch preview..... hey guys.... does this mean he is not viable anymore? AP alistar was sooo much fun please tell me guys if you can still play alistar as AP.......

thanks everyone

pôpô

07-08-2011

lol what nerf

XTreeX

07-08-2011

isnt it? he relied alot on his AP ratios and now they are even more ****
is he still viable?