[Guide]Shaco, the killed of Squishies! (With Commentary Video

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jai Huynh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-16-2010

Update

Added demonstration video with a fully-adapted item build to go along with the enemy champion loadout.

Check video for more info.

malphismia

04-17-2010

You don't want an ally to stand guard while you take the golem buff. You need to be alone so you can get the experience soloing the golem to get you to level 2 (with awareness masteries 4/4). Just tell your ally to lane and take 1-2 bars of health off of one opp so when you get to the lane, you get a FB.

DonaldPotsmoker

04-17-2010

I would suggest the boots of mobility over swiftness. Also, like others pointed out, sheen is kind of overrated on shaco. I'll buy one occasionally, but for the cost, I usually just buy another BF. Only if you're going to build a trinity would I suggest it.

My item build is usually just boots of mobility, SotO, Infinity, and bloodthirsters. If there's a good ryze, morg, annie, or other strong nuker I'll buy a veil before the infinity. That's about it. Just max my burst damage. You just need the veil to block the first disable becuase by that time you should be able to 1 hit (~1500 dmg) + shiv kill any of those casters mentioned before.

As far as your hallucination strategy, I usually use the brush, instead of just popping it while im next to someone invis. Go to the brush then pop you ult. stay in the brush and attack someone with the hallucination only. Make it seem real, good players will know if you don't act like you really are the hallucination. Make them think that you don't want it to get hit, fake a mistake and ryze (or whoever) will disable and run up right next to the hallucination and nuke it. To their dismay it will blow up in their face. Then you just decieve in as they run away and kill them. Pretty easy, and noob never see it coming. I can get at least 2 kills/game this way. Even after you've done it once they will still have to keep attack the hallucination at this point becuase they will be desperate to kill your stacks on that SotO.

For summoner spells, I usually use flash and tele. I just like tele so I don't ever get behind in the laning phase even if I can't push at all (which happens a lot to shaco, I sit in the bush waiting for a mistake usually). The flash is way better than ghost imo. With flahs I can tower dive then flash out before that last tower hit gets me, or jump over a wall if decieve is on cd.

Jai Huynh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-17-2010

Quote:
You don't want an ally to stand guard while you take the golem buff. You need to be alone so you can get the experience soloing the golem to get you to level 2 (with awareness masteries 4/4). Just tell your ally to lane and take 1-2 bars of health off of one opp so when you get to the lane, you get a FB.

This is what I usually do. But when their team has a Shaco, Evelynn or Warwick.. Then you may need someone close by. I had a Warwick on the enemy side watching me put Jitb so my teammate went around and pushed him into my Jitb. FB and Golem kill but yeah. I don't usually have a team stand there.

Quote:
As far as your hallucination strategy, I usually use the brush, instead of just popping it while im next to someone invis. Go to the brush then pop you ult. stay in the brush and attack someone with the hallucination only.
The brush is certainly a good Idea, I usually stick near one when I use my strategy. I use my Hallucinate and run my real one into the brush. This way it takes the Caster (or whoever) by surprise. Quick reactions will make him nuke the clone. Slow reactions will allow me to pop back out. If you move in and out of the brush, the most your doing is telling them that your bait or making them run away.

Quote:
For summoner spells, I usually use flash and tele. I just like tele so I don't ever get behind in the laning phase even if I can't push at all (which happens a lot to shaco, I sit in the bush waiting for a mistake usually). The flash is way better than ghost imo. With flahs I can tower dive then flash out before that last tower hit gets me, or jump over a wall if decieve is on cd.
I used to use those two for every character. I quickly came to realize that Flash was not useful at all for me. Most of the time, I would use it to flash over walls but they would simply run around it and kill me, or hop the wall too. With Ghost, you can run around for 14 seconds with immense speed (I get around 560 with Ghost + Boots of Swiftness). Teleport... Uh, I don't know about this one. I think its kind of useless >.> I usually end up with 10 minion kills (If the game ends really early) or 50-100 (long games where we win and didn't have any inhibs down)

malphismia

04-17-2010

You really have the best escape in the game (a flash/invis), not sure why you'd need flash or ghost. You'll need offensive summoner spells, but if you use flash offensively (when THEY flash, you flash too lol or deceive in, tower dive for kill, and flash out, because flashing out negates that last turret hit, whereas if you deceive out after towerdive you still get hit by a turret if it was already headed for you) or ghost offensively to chase.

When i started out as a new shaco, I used to have the lowest minion kills too, then i realized i was the least farmed, least leveled, and ran around trying to gank champs 2-3 levels higher than me. This is what noob shacos do lol and if this is what you're doing, you should change your strategy.
Get teleport, you're the best solo pusher in the game imo because you're basically ungankable and you take turrets with a clone. it also lets you set up ganks by teleporting to your jitbs. I use ignite for FB, but its really useful for ganks. The most farming I do is when laning phase is over, and people don't defend their lanes as much. Then you can push top a little, wait for them to come defend it, then teleport to bot and get a turret because they either won't notice or cant get there in time from top.

J Belern

04-17-2010

Just wanted to say a quick word about hallucinate. If you look at the cast animation for hallucinate, theres about 2-3 frames where he will actually disappear from the map. You can use this to actually dodge some of the skillshots in the game. The 2 that I know of are Ashe's Ult arrow and Ezerals skillshots. Im sure if you were to experiment with it you could find that it easily dodges others. Firsts ones that come to mind which would be sweet is Nunu's ult. Just wait till its just about to go off and pop Hallucinate. Then watch as he curses at you and you murder him.

Jai Huynh

Recruiter

04-18-2010

Quote:
Just wanted to say a quick word about hallucinate. If you look at the cast animation for hallucinate, theres about 2-3 frames where he will actually disappear from the map. You can use this to actually dodge some of the skillshots in the game. The 2 that I know of are Ashe's Ult arrow and Ezerals skillshots.
I actually forgot to add this into my guide! thanks O:
and yes, your correct about that. when you cast Deceive, theres about a 0.5s where you do disappear. You can dodge Zilean's Bombs, Karthus's Ultimate, I've even used it to avoid Poppy's Charge. There's a few other ones that I didn't mention but are dodgable.

TheSinningClown

04-18-2010

wow....
is it just me or do i use shaco wayyyyy different then anyone else...
i mean you say jacks are pretty useless but for me i think jack is pretty reliable i mean i max it out first thing(after i get decieve lvl 1) and same with the item build i would usually get decieve lvl 1 then jack then shiv and then i get jack up to lvl 3 then hallucinate then jack then decieve then lvl 5 jack then decieve and max shiv last.....
and as for item build id get the boots (350 ones) and 3 health pots(cause i usually mid with shaco) then get battle greaves then get phantom dancer for move speed dodge atk speed and crit ( i personally think its one of the best items) theeeen get bloodthirster for dmg and lifesteal ( if its maxed out you get 100dmg and 25% lifesteal i mean who wouldnt want that?) then black cleave for extra 75 dmg AND armor reduce every hit! (-60 armor after 5 hits) and by this time youd be pretty much killing all the squishies there is (AND best thing about black cleave if they have low enough armor and you get it to neg you deal bonus dmg(i think O.o?)) thennnns id get infinity edge and thats pretty much gg youd have about 400dmg doing 500 on backstabs PLUS the crits which can get you 1k+ and you also have 1 spot left for um... well games dont usually last this long after you get these items so usually id get nashors tooth the cd reduction and atk speed oh and ap wouldnt be to bad... wow ... big reply k let me know what you think
ciao
oh and i forget to add if your gonna kill someone i suggest you put down a jack right before you atk for extra dmg and free hits when there feared ok now im done let me know what you think

Jai Huynh

Recruiter

04-19-2010

Quote:
(cause i usually mid with shaco)
Rofl your mid with Shaco? I can't handle mid with Twisted Fate >.> ****

Quote:
400dmg doing 500 on backstabs PLUS the crits which can get you 1k+
Really? My build focuses on Mass Attack Damage and Pure Armour Penetration Penetration..... I don't even hit 400-500 damage on normal. But the Sheen ups my damage by a few in the beginning to kill those annoying Nukers, then you gotta sell it for something so might as well be a black cleaver or another infinity edge xD

Quote:
Jack in the Box is useful, as said by an idiot
Yes. It sure is useful! No sarcasm. When your running, put one down behind you. When a teammate is fleeing, put it behind them. When your scouting, hide one in the brush? Ya know.. But you never use them to attack an enemy. thats just plain stupid

Itches

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSinningClown View Post
wow....
is it just me or do i use shaco wayyyyy different then anyone else...
i mean you say jacks are pretty useless but for me i think jack is pretty reliable i mean i max it out first thing(after i get decieve lvl 1) and same with the item build i would usually get decieve lvl 1 then jack then shiv and then i get jack up to lvl 3 then hallucinate then jack then decieve then lvl 5 jack then decieve and max shiv last.....
and as for item build id get the boots (350 ones) and 3 health pots(cause i usually mid with shaco) then get battle greaves then get phantom dancer for move speed dodge atk speed and crit ( i personally think its one of the best items) theeeen get bloodthirster for dmg and lifesteal ( if its maxed out you get 100dmg and 25% lifesteal i mean who wouldnt want that?) then black cleave for extra 75 dmg AND armor reduce every hit! (-60 armor after 5 hits) and by this time youd be pretty much killing all the squishies there is (AND best thing about black cleave if they have low enough armor and you get it to neg you deal bonus dmg(i think O.o?)) thennnns id get infinity edge and thats pretty much gg youd have about 400dmg doing 500 on backstabs PLUS the crits which can get you 1k+ and you also have 1 spot left for um... well games dont usually last this long after you get these items so usually id get nashors tooth the cd reduction and atk speed oh and ap wouldnt be to bad... wow ... big reply k let me know what you think
ciao
oh and i forget to add if your gonna kill someone i suggest you put down a jack right before you atk for extra dmg and free hits when there feared ok now im done let me know what you think
So people actually let you solo mid when you're on Shaco. I find it hard to believe there isn't someone who can do a better job there on your team. Typically ranged classes are solo mid which can be problematic for a squishy melee character. Also, your regular item build involves spending like 15,000 gold? I don't think I've ever played a game where I could acquire that much gold before it ended.

Also the AP on Nashor's Tooth would be really pointless 1) after you have your other 5 items and 2) considering that would be your only source of AP. You would probably be better off taking SOMETHING defensive like Banshee's Veil or Frozen Mallet.

I don't really know why you would ever max JitB first ESPECIALLY if you are an AD build. Your JitB won't hit as hard as AP so you are just going to build inferior JitB nests and hope people walk into them? As AD, JitB is primarily used to scouting around you so you don't get jumped, and putting at escape points so people have a harder time running away. All of your other abilities are way more useful than a maxed JitB if you are AD.

Also I really question your rushing of Phantom Dancer. You will do low damage the entire time since there is no damage increase on any of the components. As a result, your Deceive crits won't hit that hard, your Two-Shiv Poison will do poor damage, and your clone will hit like a wet noodle. Sure you will hit a bit faster but burst damage is really where you get most of your ganks from and you limit it by spending your first 4k gold on things that don't increase your burst potential.

For my Shaco, I start with a Long Sword and a health pot. I take JitB so I can grab Golem. At level 2 I take Two-Shiv Poison so I can harass whenever the cooldown is up. At level 3 I take Deceive and hopefully someone is low enough from Two-Shiv Poison harass that I can get a kill with Deceive + Two-Shiv Poison + Ignite. The build looks something like this:

1) JitB
2) Shiv
3) Deceive
4) Shiv
5) Shiv
6) Hallucinate
7) Shiv
8) Deceive
9) Shiv
10) Deceive
11) Hallucinate
12) Deceive
13) Deceive
14) JitB
15) JitB
16) Hallucinate
17) JitB
18) JitB

Items:
Long Sword + Health Pot (starting)
Brutalizer
Upgraded Boots (your choice)
Infinity Edge

Summoner Skills:
Exhaust
Ignite

Masteries:
21/0/9

Games usually don't last too much longer than this. If they do:
Frozen Mallet (for increased damage and a lot of health for team fights)
Starks or Aegis (depending on if the team could use some more defense)
Banshee's Veil or Aegis (I have yet to have a game go this long though)

I don't honestly find you need that much attack damage on Shaco beyond what Brutalizer and Infinity Edge give you when you use Armor Pen runes and have some armor pen from items. Deceive crits hurt a lot against squishies and you can typically mow them down. Tanks are obviously much harder but you try to avoid targetting them unless you have to. Survivability I find is more of an issue late game as you get targeted and gibbed really quickly.

On TT, I typically go with a similar item build but the skill build starts more like:

1) Deceive
2) Two-Shiv Poison
3) Two-Shiv Poison
4) JitB
5) Two-Shiv Poison
6) Hallucinate