Item Shop Redesign / Mockup

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Reinboom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAstrael View Post
I just woke up and I have to go to work so I'm feeling extra lazy and rushed. I haven't read much, but here's my thoughts:

I don't really understand the point of the add/remove for the recommended items. Unless these are being saved for later use, it seems like a pointless function. Even if it was being saved for later use, it would just turn more people into cookiecutter ******s who don't know how to build situationally.

The filter boxes are awesome, but they shouldn't be the only way to navigate. If they are going to be the only way to navigate then leave them open to see at all times. There's no point in having to click the type of item you want to view its filters. Plus it looks better when all the filters are showing. When the filters are closed off there's so much empty space around the buttons it looks weird.

The unique warning thing is awesome.
The add/remove is intended for saving, I just don't have a database built for user information at this time. I may or may not in the future.

v4 has given use to the categories, which is something I'm not sure about. Since this is slightly related to boourns post, I will cover more of this when I reply there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadard View Post
I really like this, you did a great job with the mock up. I have one issue, and it is with the original shop as well. I dont like that the tabs are ordered by price. I would much rather have the tab ordered by the amount of the stat. So, instead of TriForce being the last item in Magic/Ability Power, it would be Rabadon's Deathcap. I dont know what you think of that, but personally it would be a nice change to the shop UI.

Great job, you did an awesome job. Hope Riot takes some inspiration!
Sorting of this nature would actually take an immense amount of work in data entry (or... regular expressions but I don't really want to go that route :P ).

I might include a drop down selector on search organizing in a future design. There's no option for it in the end use of my interface right now, but I actually have the frame code to sort by whatever I may need (just need to write a bit of logic afterwards).
I'm actually considering having a much more extreme design for v5. So I will get back to this later. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadard View Post
Another comment from playing around with v3. I kept changing the attribute combinations I was looking for, and ended up just keeping all four of the main blue buttons open all the time. Because it was too annoying to have to keep moving my mouse from the top of the page when they are open to the middle of the page when they close. Can you put the blue buttons, (Attack, Magic, Defense, Other) at the top of the page, in the place where they are when open? This way opening them doesnt move the button, only drops the list down.

Nit picky feedback, I know. This is really great, and I like using it a lot more than the regular store!
That's a fair request, though I don't think I will act upon it at this time. I wish to experiment with my design a bit to see if there are other methods of handling this that could be appealing to more folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Dude... very impressed you took the time to write thoughtful feedback and create a working prototype! As an aside to other posters, taking more time to write your thoughts out and present it constructively *greatly* increases your chance of getting a response (at least from me).

We've thought about a lot of the same things internally when considering a potential redesign of the shop and gone down some of the same paths. As I mentioned in another store thread, the UI designers here would love to see a shop redesign happen, but it is not something we are actively working on right now.

Here is some specific feedback on your concept though:

* Love the idea of the filters that actually show you what items match multiple attributes. Would want to iterate more on the interface layout to make it cleaner with less of a giant checkbox grid feeling.
* There is some tension between filtering and straight navigation with a back button. I would say filtering makes it harder to explore and we might consider improving the browsing metaphor in the current store. Would generally prefer to lead newer players into learning the depth of items in the store by making exploration easier.
* Search button or field is a no brainer. In fact would probably make it always visible and autoselect the input field.
* Personally, I am against persistently showing repetitive buttons. They take up more screen real estate and look busy. In this case it may make sense to show the button on mouse over of the button although I might still have one always visible sell/remove button so that it is discoverable
* I think recommended items and builds are similar enough that they could be consolidated. Build order seems like a potentially more useful concept. Custom builds is something that is definitely on our radar internally.
* Like the duplicate unique item warning
* WTB drag and drop for the adding to recommended items or context menu.

That's just my first impressions, thanks for taking the initiative and posting constructively!
Thank you!

I'm actually now considering a much more extreme change-up to the layout, especially since the tags I have in my item database are becoming much more robust.
Do you think something along the lines of a list of tags that can be pulled from / transferred to a filter list be appealing? This was another idea I had for a design but scrapped it early in favor of familiarity.

I'm actually not entirely fond of the idea of a search always open. This is mostly because I have a strange design aversion to field navigation/clicking on individual text boxes, especially on darker backgrounds. However, if I was to set keyboard control to focus to that immediately as I believe you suggest, that may not feel so unnatural (though I worry about what an impact such a decision may have if it was to be introduced in game).

I like the idea of having multiple lists of builds. I'll seek design ideas to accomplish that.

Again, I wasn't personally comfortable with drag and drop in this case as it didn't feel natural. I might be able to make it a bit more apparent by using the shopkeeper at the top more. I'll reserve the idea for a later design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 3010 View Post
This is incredible. Kudos to you. I am going to incorporate this tool into the League of Legends Wiki as the functionality where it fades off the check boxes when the stats are not shared on an item will help us greatly.
Before you do!
I don't feel comfortable with my naked unlicensed code hovering around.
Let me set a license for it when I have a bit of time to explore different licensing methods first.

Also, I have been a bit neglectful on this version of this thread. It's difficult to keep a run of both threads as the response has kind of taken me by surprise. I'll try to keep this side more updated as well! (I seem to have missed placing v4 in this...)

boourns

UI Designer

07-08-2011
2 of 5 Riot Posts

I think you should stop working on new versions on your own time and start doing it on Riot company time. If you're interested in coming to work with us, we should talk about it. You can send me your e-mail at this disposa-e-mail: riotboourns@emailthe.net

RocketSlug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2011

Quote:
I think you should stop working on new versions on your own time and start doing it on Riot company time. If you're interested in coming to work with us, we should talk about it. You can send me your e-mail at this disposa-e-mail: riotboourns@emailthe.net
Oh wow, congrats, dude!

P2Mc28

07-08-2011

Quote:
This is one of the most awesome posts on a forum I have ever seen. =D

Fatty Al

07-08-2011

Quote:
Wow an offer from Riot. Dang dude. Congrats

Niitz

07-08-2011

Nice man, take it and run!

Vulking

07-08-2011

Quote:
Oh god never though I would see Riot offer a job to someone like this, kudos to the OP.

Khalpone

07-08-2011

Quote:
Awesome. Good luck with your interview!

Senkon

Adjudicator

07-08-2011

I like it but i only really care about adding and saving builds for each champion.

FIXEU NOW

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2Mc28 View Post
This is one of the most awesome posts on a forum I have ever seen. =D
Indeed, really congrats to the OP.