Item Shop Redesign / Mockup

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zidian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2011

Your PHP needs some work, but I absolutely love the design idea.

0shi

07-05-2011

Very cool.
My initial thoughts are that clicking a tab (magic/other/etc) should open it with all tabs clicked, but I guess that adds to the number of clicks you have to make, and I guess, won't actuallly show any items, given the small amount of items that fit into ALL the catergories. My point is that with the persistent pane, it feels somewhat unituitive to click a catergory button and have nothing change down there until you tick a box. What if all the tabs are always open, and clicking them unchecks all the options for that tab only, an option which seems to be missing (other than closing the tab entirely). I'm not sure the extra clicks to bring down/hide the check boxes are really adding anything to it.
The only other concern I had was that clicking the X on the search box was the only way to close it. Personally, I'd have it close if a click is made anywhere on the background, but this could be problematic if you miss a click on an item with the way the search box short circuits the filters. At the very least the close button needs to be more accessible or activated by the escape key.

Sory for how rambling this is, my thoughts were evolving as I typed it.

Riot Reinboom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
Very cool.
My initial thoughts are that clicking a tab (magic/other/etc) should open it with all tabs clicked, but I guess that adds to the number of clicks you have to make, and I guess, won't actuallly show any items, given the small amount of items that fit into ALL the catergories. My point is that with the persistent pane, it feels somewhat unituitive to click a catergory button and have nothing change down there until you tick a box. What if all the tabs are always open, and clicking them unchecks all the options for that tab only, an option which seems to be missing (other than closing the tab entirely). I'm not sure the extra clicks to bring down/hide the check boxes are really adding anything to it.
The only other concern I had was that clicking the X on the search box was the only way to close it. Personally, I'd have it close if a click is made anywhere on the background, but this could be problematic if you miss a click on an item with the way the search box short circuits the filters. At the very least the close button needs to be more accessible or activated by the escape key.
On the tabs:
Would you like it if clicking a category filtered by that category as a tag would? I could very easily make it do that.

On the escape key to close:
I can do such, I just tried to avoid taking over keyboard control on this example. I'll look in to it later though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidean View Post
Your PHP needs some work, but I absolutely love the design idea.
I'm a little confused about this comment. Although I did set the filenames as .php, there is no actual PHP used. I simply did so because I'm both used to PHP and wanted the option available to me if something came up that would provoke it.
In short: There is no PHP here that needs to be worked on.

0shi

07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
Would you like it if clicking a category filtered by that category as a tag would? I could very easily make it do that.
Assuming we're on the same page - That being that you would tag all magic items with "magic" as well as their respective power/pen/etc tags, that sounds pretty perfect to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
On the escape key to close:
I can do such, I just tried to avoid taking over keyboard control on this example. I'll look in to it later though.
That was just a thought, since people are used to using escape to close the store, that could be jarring. It just seemed a little too hard to leave the search box to me.

xke

07-06-2011

I just woke up and I have to go to work so I'm feeling extra lazy and rushed. I haven't read much, but here's my thoughts:

I don't really understand the point of the add/remove for the recommended items. Unless these are being saved for later use, it seems like a pointless function. Even if it was being saved for later use, it would just turn more people into cookiecutter ******s who don't know how to build situationally.

The filter boxes are awesome, but they shouldn't be the only way to navigate. If they are going to be the only way to navigate then leave them open to see at all times. There's no point in having to click the type of item you want to view its filters. Plus it looks better when all the filters are showing. When the filters are closed off there's so much empty space around the buttons it looks weird.

The unique warning thing is awesome.

Alkemdah

07-06-2011

Fantastic!

DreadBeard

07-06-2011

Really smooth, and clean. This is great!

EdgarAlanPWN88

07-06-2011

I really like this, you did a great job with the mock up. I have one issue, and it is with the original shop as well. I dont like that the tabs are ordered by price. I would much rather have the tab ordered by the amount of the stat. So, instead of TriForce being the last item in Magic/Ability Power, it would be Rabadon's Deathcap. I dont know what you think of that, but personally it would be a nice change to the shop UI.

Great job, you did an awesome job. Hope Riot takes some inspiration!

Electrofire

07-06-2011

Awesome!
That is a great interface.
I like how you can select different stats and the shop just shows the items that contain those stats
I would really like to have it on the game

PS: Awesome programming skills
That php just looks beautiful

EdgarAlanPWN88

07-06-2011

Another comment from playing around with v3. I kept changing the attribute combinations I was looking for, and ended up just keeping all four of the main blue buttons open all the time. Because it was too annoying to have to keep moving my mouse from the top of the page when they are open to the middle of the page when they close. Can you put the blue buttons, (Attack, Magic, Defense, Other) at the top of the page, in the place where they are when open? This way opening them doesnt move the button, only drops the list down.

Nit picky feedback, I know. This is really great, and I like using it a lot more than the regular store!

12345612 ... 16