new UI and some questions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

betatrash

09-18-2012

so, i was working on a new minimalist UI (1680x1050). the work is based on foxeui, and previously perb ui, with some additional files attached.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2aha2s6.jpg picture may look dark in firefox, a bit lighter in internet explorer, but still too dark.

The ideas were simple:

A. move the ui to the upper left corner, reasons being: more ergonomical to move the mouse left to right, instead of top to bottom. likewise, easier on the eyes to shift focus left to right. screen being wider than it is tall, it obscures less of the viewable area.

B. create a glyph-based hud, not a simple GUI based on pretty pictures. the aim is to be informative, while eliminating clutter (think old quake1,2,3 uis, simple numbers and status indicators).

Several question i still have:

A. is it possible to save the screen location of the item shop instead of having to reposition every game?

B. what are spelltooltip and statusmessagetooltip for in data/menu/hud/elements/centerbuffs.ini (.107)?

C. would it be possible for the devs to include a simple numerical hp/mana counter? in addition to the current 421/1059 style display, a simple number indicating hp/mana remaining. in this case just 421. the reason is that the player generally has a good idea of what their max mana is, and it is easier on the eyes/brain to read/process a single number instead of having to parse 2. what i'd like is to put a giant hp/mana display up in the top part of the HUD, translucent as well.

D. there are several other changes/additions i'd like to request, but seeing as how the HUD code is in such a poor state (with scaling and all), it's no wonder none of the devs want to work on this problem. seems the hud was hacked in from older resolutions.

E. alpha doesn't work on team kills and enemy kills counters. not the only bug, just the the only one i can think of right now.

To be completed:

A. several graphical fixes

B. move buff and targetbuff indicators (there are literally hundreds of them) :\

C. maybe move the kill, cs, gold and game timer to just above the minimap and make them small.

D. stop messing with the ui and game config files in general and just play the game.

Zer0blizzard

09-27-2012

Bro, nobody uses your spell key setup. You're crazy. I also don't like the glyphs. You also got rid of the ping/warning buttons on the minimap. Overall, I don't like it. It's too complicated with the multiple vertical levels for the summoner spells and then the champion statuses.

betatrash

09-27-2012

bro? bro, you have no idea what you're talking about. 2x3 spell layout is much faster/efficient than a 1x4 with a 1x2 off to the side :\ it's what all the pros use. or 2x4, depends what game you're playing. edit: just for reference, how do you play your fps games? qweasd, 2x3.

furthermore, what glyphs? who cares, you can change them, it was a quick rework of foxeui, hence the graphics.

ping/warning? bind those the ctrl+left mouse, ctrl+right mouse.. i mean... who doesn't? and bind you levelups to ctrl+spell button.

multiple vertical levels? the original UI also has a 2x3 stats display, a 2x3 items display. the only thing that's different is the 2x3 spells display compared to the 1x6 of the original.

honestly, you're not supposed to even use the left display, you use the GIANT digits in your face at the top to get all the info you need. cooldowns, mana, levelup, etc. only need to look at left gui if you need stat compare, precise hp/mana amount (this is one of those things you cant change), or active item cooldown.

anyways, all those could be solved if the developers gave us that ability. unfortunately, you just can't without modifying the core game engine and adding some features/elements.

TLDR; but honestly, i don't know if i'm going to bother with this game any more, and to think i bought a buncha champs for 70$. the devs aren't fixing anything, barely.. only cosmetic stuff. the UI code is a giant mess, nobody wants to work on it. the 2012 ui looks like a joke. the shop ui needs work, the camera/fixed angle for blue/purple needs work.

what do they do instead? spend en exorbitant amount of time developing a single champ (remember the login graphics are part of what you pay for in the champ)... all this useless junk, that's where your money is going. not into gameplay, not into fixes...

WolfLoki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by betatrash View Post
TLDR; but honestly, i don't know if i'm going to bother with this game any more, and to think i bought a buncha champs for 70$. the devs aren't fixing anything, barely.. only cosmetic stuff. the UI code is a giant mess, nobody wants to work on it. the 2012 ui looks like a joke. the shop ui needs work, the camera/fixed angle for blue/purple needs work.

what do they do instead? spend en exorbitant amount of time developing a single champ (remember the login graphics are part of what you pay for in the champ)... all this useless junk, that's where your money is going. not into gameplay, not into fixes...
Hmm I don't mind that their artists are getting paid. I mean, it's a free game, so I'm pretty happy with how they've spent their money.

Quote:
A. move the ui to the upper left corner, reasons being: more ergonomical to move the mouse left to right, instead of top to bottom. likewise, easier on the eyes to shift focus left to right. screen being wider than it is tall, it obscures less of the viewable area.
I like this Idea a lot, unfortunately not a lot of people will change to 2x3. Although the thought process and actual real-world results are awesome

Quote:
B. create a glyph-based hud, not a simple GUI based on pretty pictures. the aim is to be informative, while eliminating clutter (think old quake1,2,3 uis, simple numbers and status indicators).
What do you mean "glyph-based"? I'm interested because it sounds much better than the way the ui is set up now.

Quote:
Several question i still have:

A. is it possible to save the screen location of the item shop instead of having to reposition every game?
Answer A: Yes this is definitely possible!

FIRST, you must make sure all hud/minimap/whatever scaling options in game are set exactly how you want them.

Navigate to:
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\release s\0.0.0.190\deploy\DATA\menu\hud

If the menu or hud folders dont exist, you can create them.

Inside this folder you will find hud1920x1080.ini
It will be named after whatever resolution you play on, so it could be hud1600x900.ini or hud1280x720.ini

You can use a few simple lines to move the shop around.

Quote:
[ItemShop]
Scale=1.0
Xpos=0
Ypos=0
By changing the Xpos and Ypos (positive OR negative values work) you will move it up down left or right.
Positive X moves it Right.
Negative X moves it Left.
Positive Y moves it Down.
Negative Y moves it Up.

If there is no [ItemShop] text in your hud .ini file, you can simply add it on a new line.

ALSO, I suggest making the scale something like Scale=0.7 so that the shop doesn't take up so much screen space.

AFTER you make all changes to the .ini file, and save; You have the OPTION to right-click it, go to properties, and then check "Read Only" attribute at the bottom, then click "Ok".
This makes it so that any scaling options done from now on in-game WILL NOT BE SAVED for more than just that game. You will always start every new game with exactly how you have it set up when setting it to Read-Only.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask

betatrash

10-10-2012

@WolfLoki:

Thanks for that info on the item shop position read-only (already set the scale earlier to 0.7, scale doesn't seem to be affected by the readonly attrib), wasn't able to find it with a quick forum search/google. wonder why it's not highr on the hit list? Haven't tried it yet, because i simply haven't played in weeks. haha

to answer some of your questions:

glyph-based: like old fps UIs, quake 3 is a good example. with their minimized hud all you had was huge health and ammo numbers and a weapon 'icon', no gun model visible on the screen. minimalist ui.

just do a google image search for quake3. quake 1, etc... there were actually a lot of mods for the quake 1 ui after the source was released. i did some work myself in c++, replacing fonts, colors, icon locations, etc. even doom 4 source has been released, gotta applaud ID for that.

basically just the info you need to survive, as little clutter as possible.

big numbers, in your face, so you always know your cooldowns to 0.1 seconds of precision, health/mana, to the exact digit, etc.

i'd make a mockup of what i'd like to change in the ui that i simply can't (due to lack of features), but no word from devs on ever revamping this monster, so until i get such a word, i won't waste any more of my time.

if someone wants to fix the effects monitors (literally hundreds of them to position) in the config files, this ui might be worth releasing with some changes, but even then it's only for 1680x1050... so kinda worthless without any dev effort to fix the scaling problem.

http://i46.tinypic.com/5nvi81.jpg

i guess that explains it a bit better. the number for k/d/a, game timer gold etc i'd probably move to just above the minimap or to the right/left of it. still, hundreds of effect monitors to move is just discouraging. all for just one resolution.

trouble remembering which spell is which? top left = ult, demarked by the vertical line to the right. then 2 summoners, bottom 3 are q,w,e. if you want you can put the D, F indicators back into the ui (i removed them), but you cannot put the Q,W,E,R or whatever keys they are mapped to indicators back because they've completely removed them from the ui. at least i cant get them to display. might help in getting used to a new key config, but.. again, can't be done. lol

TheBziur

10-21-2012

I like your ideas.

You should not get too angry over developers, a they don't officially support UI modding.
They allow it, but they don't support it. (can't blame them, as the UI [that's based on flash as far as I know] is quite a mess [it breaks even if some elements are in wrong ini, what's the point of making it element based then?] ), and remaking it would need big changes.
And it's a free game.

Be sure to post your UI when finnished (on leaguecraft.com or deviantart.com etc.)
And don't be disturbed by the fact not much of people will use it, as there are many options for UIs so we can choose what we're comfortable with.
When I made an UI mod I did it mostly for myself.

It's always nice to have more options to choose from
Keep up the good work!

betatrash

11-06-2012

well, something in the elise patch broke dargon/raf manager i think, doesn't work any more. so, there goes a bunch of wasted time. project on hold indefinitely. not like i play this game anyways. progress on fixes so slow, champions out every 2 weeks... the hell :\