The Codex Metallicus: A guide to Mordekaiser.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

space jazz

04-20-2010

Hi everyone!
Nice guide and some suggestions!
My main question is about boots on Morde. What is the best choise for him?
Will Sorcerer's Shoes + MPen runes give him really big difference in damage or Mercury's Treads/Boots of Swiftness is better for him?

DreamyDays

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by space jazz View Post
Hi everyone!
Nice guide and some suggestions!
My main question is about boots on Morde. What is the best choise for him?
Will Sorcerer's Shoes + MPen runes give him really big difference in damage or Mercury's Treads/Boots of Swiftness is better for him?
MPen is fantastic on Mordekaiser, if you ask me.
He deals a good amount of magic damage, because he needs it to keep his shields up.
MPen increases that damage. Profit.

AFAIK there are 4 items that can fiddle with other people's MR.

Sorcerer's Shoes - MPen 20
Haunting Guise - MPen 20
Void Staff - MPen 40%
Abyssal Staff - MR reduction 20

But unless the enemies are rolling with MR, Void Staff won't help Morde much.
Abyssal Staff might be good for your team, but if your team needs it, a caster or a supporter will get it.

So that leaves Shoes and Guise. Having both, and fitting MPen red runes gives 48.5 MPen (if I remember correctly)
Most champions have natural 30 MR, and those that get more MR as they level get about 55 MR.
So with both, you can deliver harsh punishment to all those who are stupid enough to neglect MR..... or are satisfied with 1 cheap MR item.

Although, if you are going to get Sorcerer's Shoes, you should get Cleanse.
If you don't get Cleanse, you should stick with Mercury's Treads.

I don't know about Boot of Swiftness....
But I usually don't get it, other boots give such nice options ( except Berserkers, ofc )

Longshot405

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2010

Hey Syeblaze, glad to see you put up a guide for Mordekaiser. Trust him guys, he kicks some major butt with Morde (except when he's playing with me XD).

Btw, you've got the AP ratios off and Skill Leveling is messed up. Might want to go through and fix that. :P

Dope Masta G

04-20-2010

Me and my friend, who are pretty evenly matched in terms of Morde and summoner level, pitted Laharic's build against this one, both of us tried each build against each other (in a practice match to be specific). Every time, the person playing Laharic's build demolished the other one. Though we were using a slightly modified version of Laharic's, it wouldn't give that build the decisive edge.

And regarding skill dps, I think it really boils down to mpen versus cdr. You really can't get both without sacrificing tankage, but in most cases I've found that going 9/0/21, getting 30% cdr by using the Spirit Visage with the offense and utility line cdr reducs, the 15% mpen reduc mastery in offense, and using mpen Marks is probably the most efficient way of maximizing damage. I could sacrifice Ignite for Cleanse and get Sorc's to maximize mpen effectiveness, though I'm not sure if using Ignite gives me a better edge than 20 more mpen would, unless that 20 mpen brought their mres to 0, and even then Ignite ignores all defenses, and gives you a move to trick other players into cleansing.

space jazz

04-21-2010

DreamyDays, thx for reply.

make progress

04-26-2010

does morde's ult trigger haunting guise's spell vamp? i thought that was the whole point...

edit: ...i mean other than the early magic pen

SyeBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPipe View Post
does morde's ult trigger haunting guise's spell vamp? i thought that was the whole point...

edit: ...i mean other than the early magic pen
Yes. yes it does. You get 5% of the damage dealt as additional health. Addin the fact that the health from the spell, and the health from the spell vamp are both increased by spirit visage makes it a ridiculous combo.

Also, updating guide to include Randuin's Omen. The rest of the changes from the patch don't effect the guide all that much, nor my playstyle.

On that note, what does everyone else think of Randuin's Omen?

Necrax

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyeBlaze View Post
Well, at least people have some success.

Whether this build is viable at an elo higher than what I am, I cannot say.

I suppose, at the rate I'm winning, I'll find out...

NOTE: I'm also terrible at Twisted Treeline, so don't ask me any advice for that. I don't think this build is good for it.
well it is. just start with a doran's shield for that pesky level 1 team fights. i often end up with doran's shield, haunting guise, merc treads, randuin's omen on TT. a very solid build.

btw, i like your guide a lot and finally someone who clearly states that warmog's is a waste.

i find omen to be awesome on morde and i came to a point where i rush it after getting wardens and boots. it really has all you need. -CDR, armor, regen, a passive slow and a very helpful active since morde has no built in CC.

Mapekz

05-04-2010

This is the best guide by far. I was getting wtfpwned as Mordekaiser my first day playing him and got fed up, regretting my decision to buy him over a caster or something with a CC. I spent half the day at work the next morning learning how to play this guy and a few tips from this guide spoke out to me:

1) You are nothing without your shield, so make it last as long as possible via resists
Maxing Siphon and Creeping Death early, magic penetration, and cooldown reduction all help you recharge your shield faster (in that order of importance; do not stack only CD reduction as that will get you killed, trust me). Magic resist, armor, and HP/5 help keep you alive more than HP and lifesteal; Haunting Guise may be an exception.

Regardless, you are dead without a shield, especially if running away from a fight that you most likely won't be able to escape from anyway. Good thing about HG is that you can go smack up neutral creeps to heal without every having to recall outside of buying gear.

2) During early game, everyone else sucks compared to you but you still aren't a God
Your shield is too low and you can't recharge it or maintain it too easily at the start of the game. You need SoD 3 at the very least, which won't happen before level 5. You also want to make sure you have every ability at your disposal so you can keep spamming abilities endlessly. Just SoD to gain gold/XP and to deny your enemy XP/gold via harassment, but don't charge in for a kill until you can CotG or if the enemy gets way too close and you can MoS + SoD + Ignite him without taking a single tower hit. Play aggressively and harass, but don't tower dive until level 6 earliest.

3) Never use the same build order
You've said it all, but I agree with this point. It's stupid to always rush Force of Nature if your enemies consist of Tryndamere and/or Tristana and/or Master Li, for instance. Similarly, it makes no sense to start with a Warden's Mail if your enemies are Veigar, Morgana, Karthus, Chrono Keeper, and Gargas. Your advice to always adapt your BO to counter your enemies has proved invaluable to me.

4) "Never hesitate to use Children of the Grave"
Quoting your words exactly above. I tend to be conservative with my ultimate; I guess it's a mindset from DotA. However, I find that it is actually worth it to throw away the ultimate while laning without even intending on a kill, especially if low on HP and being denied access to creeps for a shield (screw you Chrono Keeper!). The enemy is denied gold/XP while I lifesteal from him, meaning I keep farming and leveling and destroy him and his friends later.

5) Don't run; go down swinging
Normally it is best to run, especially when playing any other hero and when you are alone against the whole enemy team. However, a lot of the time you simply won't be able to escape and/or teammates cannot be reached so you can't bait the enemy to them. Good thing is that you simply don't die (assuming you keep your shield up), meaning you can deliver quite the beating. Even when solo against four enemies and a ton of creeps, you can decimate one or two champions and cause a third to flee before you fall.

For instance, I've had three enemies charge me and start slowing me and beating on me, and I was getting owned because I had no shield. Promptly I noticed an incoming creep wave, so I turned around and SoDed everyone. Spamming my abilities as much as I could, I took out one guy with CotG + AOE, so 1v3 became 2v2. Next I beat the second guy into a bloody pulp with focus fire from myself and my spirit slave, and finally I chased down the third hero, who soon after died to an Ignite. I was maybe five to ten seconds late on getting a triple kill, but I definitely got a double.

The above scenario is VERY common; I've had it happen to me about six times in one day. Do not be afraid; the enemy should be afraid of you. After all, you should be blasting Motorhead and Meshuggah while playing this champion, so use that to your advantage.

Kajitii

05-04-2010

Hey Sye,

I think I went up against a Mordekaiser that did a build similar to yours, item-wise, and went solo mid. He was one god awful PITA to deal with and just wouldn't die (Zilean being on his team didn't help), plus he was a constant menace to the lanes. I haven't played Mordekaiser, but dang, he was definitely built for sturdiness.

Reasons why he lost:
1.) Lack of good CC (Fiddlestick's not-so-god Wind + Fear, Garen's silence, Zilean's Time Warp, Shaco's 2Shiv Poison)
2.) Mordekaiser was kinda ignorable. Our Shaco got fed up the ass with Sword of the Occult by picking off squishies. And you recognized his ignorability in the guide, well done.
3.) I was a soft counter to Mordekaiser: Archangel Anivia. He might be able to push hard, but his efforts proved in vain once he got close to the tower. Blizzards of Eternal Annoyance, oyas! (Currently, my game's still recorded in the recent 10, look for the 4/1/20 score, and it might still be there for a while because I don't play often)

So basically it was more or less poor team composition and luck of the Blind Pick. Other than Fiddlesticks (who we managed to finally shut down late game), Mordekaiser was by far the most game-changing presence.

So kudos to a well-written strategy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Sac View Post
Most importantly, you left out the best item in the game for mordekaiser (hint: he has a high base damage)
If the best item is "Sheen", then you'll regret ever dropping that hint.