[Guide] Janna - Babysittin' like a boss!

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theskunk

04-26-2010

How if this build better than a dps janna with CD items/runes/quints to enable dual shields? In fact, why even use janna at all, given this playstyle, since another champion could contribute way more damage than her shields do?

I've done some babysitting with Janna and it only works as well as the player you are babysitting. Assuming you run with premades, that's great, but with randoms...

That said, I haven't tried it yet, so we'll see if experience changes my mind.

Rawrified

04-26-2010

Why not use this ?

Last time i fought a DPS janna I lol'd on her face ..

You bring more to the team if you are able to play right. granted i don't follow the guide word for word, a lot of the tactics that are offered within it are to help players who are looking for a way to imrpove the way they play Janna.

I've taken some of his item choices and his tactics and combined it with the way i play and i've seen some pretty good results.

Zirun

04-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
How if this build better than a dps janna with CD items/runes/quints to enable dual shields? In fact, why even use janna at all, given this playstyle, since another champion could contribute way more damage than her shields do?
How is DPS Janna any better than Twitch, Tristana, or Ashe?

Janna isn't about damage. I'll frequently end games is the lowest damage dealt in the games (numbers rivaling Alistar-level damage), but that doesn't take into account the damage my teammates gained from my knock-ups, slows, shields, knock-backs and heals. If you're playing her for damage output (I hate to say this), you're playing her wrong. Other champs scale way better for doing damage than Janna does.

The utility Janna brings scales with CDR, mana/mana regen (so you can use them as often as you can), and survivability (so you don't die while you use them), so that's all you need. The lack of necessities lets you practically pool your gold into another champion (that scales way better) while still being extremely useful to the team.

As an example, I just played a game where I laned with a Rammus (not exactly the best lane partner, but oh well) and the other team's main damage output was Twitch (they had a team comp focused on supporting Twitch). I didn't keep track of the creep kills, but I do know that at one point Rammus had the most creep kills in the game. As a side-laner! Later in the game, he would easily tank Twitch and absorb and output a lot of damage while our damage-dealers (Fiddlesticks, Nidalee) got into the fray to tear things up.

Even better, a game or two before that, I laned with a Jax. We got first blood and a tower against an enemy solo, got him Lizard buff, did dragon, and went between the lanes to push and kill. We end up decimating the opponent after Jax gets a quick Rageblade and Impaler, and Jax ends up going 9/1/2 in a 22 minute game.

Sure, it may not happen in every game, but this happens in a lot of my games. I get few or even no creep kills early game, and my lane partner ends up being the most farmed champion in the game. I frequently end up with only a Catalyst and boots by the time games end, while the person I laned with has two or three major DPS items.

A Jax with a Rageblade, Atma's, boots and half of another major item in less than 25 minutes is a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot scarier than any Janna could ever be, imo.

Quote:
I've done some babysitting with Janna and it only works as well as the player you are babysitting. Assuming you run with premades, that's great, but with randoms...
I did it (and still do, just with better ones) with randoms. Yes, things inevitably rest on your teammates. This is a team-oriented game, after all! But giving the most important member of your team more resources to use is one of the best ways I can think of to help your team win. I didn't climb through the lower end of the Elo spectrum playing Janna (I did that by playing Kat mostly), and I can see this kind of strategy not working as well when it's even harder to rely on your teammates, but I can't see it working for less than 50% of games...

I haven't used Vent/TeamSpeak/any other voice communication even once. I rarely ever premake with anybody, and haven't done a premade game in a long time. Everyone's experience is inevitably going to be different, but playing to support your team is a great way to develop some of the skills necessary to do well!

Long-winded post is raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambly. x_x

MageRage

04-26-2010

For the record, I've been using this guide as a 'guideline' for my build. I love it, and it's great seeing your teammates score an ace on the enemy team because of a well-placed tornado or a perfectly timed monsoon. Late game, I have almost no issues with mana, and I rarely get killed because I use my skills to the fullest.

And it's correct; judging from the statistics at the end of a game, it looks almost like Janna does nothing, with ranks such as 0/0/12 or 2/3/9. Statistics mean very little when playing Janna, because it doesn't account for knock-backs and team kills with howling gale, or simply healing at that crucial point.

'Pooling gold' is also great. Honestly, Janna doesn't really need super items to be a great support champion; just some mana/mana regen and CDR and you're good to go. It's great seeing Jax or another good champion pimped out with tons of items because you let them gather more gold.

tenebre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-26-2010

"Just rank 1 of eye of the storm adds 120 HP on top of the 100 health shield! Jax is one of the easiest to get early kills with, and one of the easiest to babysit."
Kinda Lol'd here. That HP has no effect, the shield absorbs damage before he takes the damage and as soon as the shield is gone he loses the health again because the damage buff is gone. Though it is kinda scary to see a jax with like 900 health and a damage item at level 1.

Zirun

04-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenebre View Post
"Just rank 1 of eye of the storm adds 120 HP on top of the 100 health shield! Jax is one of the easiest to get early kills with, and one of the easiest to babysit."
Kinda Lol'd here. That HP has no effect, the shield absorbs damage before he takes the damage and as soon as the shield is gone he loses the health again because the damage buff is gone. Though it is kinda scary to see a jax with like 900 health and a damage item at level 1.
Since the latest patch, the damage bonus from Eye of the Storm lasts the full duration, even if the shield is broken.

I AM FROM CANADA

04-26-2010

Tried out Janna with this build today for a few games; was so much fun. Awesome guide.

theskunk

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
How is DPS Janna any better than Twitch, Tristana, or Ashe?
I never made the point that she was better at dealing damage. I don't see how any of this is a response to my first question, or my second.

Are you arguing that a slightly stronger Jax or Rammus (your examples) is better than having another hero out there (which would obviously have much more utility than two shields, and a knockup)?

MBirk

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
I never made the point that she was better at dealing damage. I don't see how any of this is a response to my first question, or my second.

Are you arguing that a slightly stronger Jax or Rammus (your examples) is better than having another hero out there (which would obviously have much more utility than two shields, and a knockup)?
People that insist one is better then the other are a bit foolish.
to point out what should be fairly obvious. Janna is a hybrid, and support/dps is actually pretty much the same thing.

This guide advocates,
catalyst for hp/mp, and level up bonus.
Then boots, then nashers tooth.
Nasher is pure hybrid. Ias to boost your eye of the storm, mana rege, and cdr. Perfect for her of course.
You can hardly argue with the hp boost of cata either. (Although I find the speed from zephyer, ku of gale, and shield from eye to be more then enough +survival for janna in any build)
The +damage eye does mean she scales quite well with +ias, crit and arm pen. Especially so after making it so the +damage stays the full 10s even if the shield is broken.
Any decent game should be pretty much over shortly after you get nashers. People that post 6 item item builds are kindof delusional on how long most games go before they are long past decided.
guinsoos, last whisper are good choices after.

Thinking you can't support and dps at the same time is what is wrong.

Ashe has no raw damage boosts, yet is considered a dps. She has snares and a stun.

MBirk

04-27-2010

to add more.
The op, didnt specify which reds. Armor pen.
Again, why wouldn't you further this hybrid idea? gale doesnt do much damage, its used mostly for the ku, and early game harrasment. Zepher does scale well and do decent damage. But monsoon, and eye neither do magic damage either. so go armorpen.

Focusing on ap is also not recommended, as the op mentioned in a reply. Only zepher scales well. An additional, +60 shield on eye is meh. Take what ap you can get, but don't put any focus on it. cdr, mana regen, and ias are the three primary stats you want.

1234567 ... 10