Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Janna - Babysittin' like a boss!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gumb E

Recruiter

04-14-2010

Tried it for a few games.

I'm gonna mention a handful of substitutions that I made just so you know where I differed. Otherwise, though, I really want to thank you for the guide, as it really changed my mindset when playing Janna, and the different philosophy works VERY well. I completely renounce Soraka, my previous support character of choice. Screw her, Janna is WAY more useful.

I played Janna very infrequently in the past. She didn't have any heals, so I didn't see her as a support character. I played her as a basic mage who would throw up a shield on someone in an emergency, but would otherwise toss out gale and zephyr to do the damage. It didn't work terribly well.

Per your instructions, I spammed the shield right and left. If I had low mana, it was the only spell I cast, but I continued to spam it whenever possible. My allies concordantly did tons of towerdiving and tons of backdooring, sucessfully I might add. During a teamfight, I had a shield on our DPS, I had a shield on whomever the enemy was focus firing, a zephyr on anyone fleeing at low HP, and a tornado to disrupt their focus fire and pursuit squads. I had Heal and Clarity if several of us got low on either resource. I had my ult for post-teamfight healing, allowing us to immediately push after each teamfight. (I really wish it was usable IN teamfights, but I've had to accept the fact that Janna's ult is useful for EITHER the push effect to initiate a fight, OR the heal effect, but never both. It's too disruptive in a big fight and it seems to put a bullseye on my head.)

It was insane. I felt like I was enabling everyone to do everything everywhere, all the time. We were the storm. We were an onslaught. We never stopped. The one time we lost, Jax and I were laning against a Janna & Ryze, and I think we should have given those guys a wider berth. Their ability to CC and nuke outclassed my ability to protect Jax, and we just weren't playing cautiously enough to account for that. We should have called for a lane swap or gotten banshee's veils or something. It was bad. Our carry was a very squishy TF with the wrong boots, too, so he could rarely teleport in to gank without getting roflstomped.

I built tear -> archangel's staff instead of catalyst -> banshee's, I'm just too accustomed to archangel's. I get more mana from Util tree, and I turn all that mana into health regen from Def tree. I really like sitting in my lane and NEVER LEAVING, not even when Jax decides to go elsewhere. Especially with my summoner spells and masteries, I pretty much never had to base unless mid came to gank me.

Also, I did glacial shroud instead of Nashor's, since I already had plenty of mana regen and felt more like having armor than attack speed. It makes the shield last a good bit longer when I'm harassing my lane and soaking minion hits while Jax is shopping. Except for those substitutions, I bought items in the same order as you did. Merc Treads in games where I was being focused, Mobility when I wasn't. (In teamfights, Mordekaiser baited a lot of their damage by running around at ridiculously low HP and soaking all damage with his shield + my shield. If they managed to kill him, he had Guardian Angel, ha.)

For spells, went heal and clarity (with relevant masteries). Very low cooldowns. Again... I prefer constantly SQUATTING in the lane, inexhaustibly, and forcing my opponents to base. Trying to get kills doesn't work well for me, I usually overextend and die. Ignite/Exhaust would put me in the wrong mindset, I think. However, I also think I have less money problems than the OP does because I farm up the minions whenever my ally goes off to gank or shop, and I have the mana to spam gale and get money that way, too, when 2 or 3 minions are low. A quick Gale actually travels faster than an autoattack would.

For runes and masteries I pretty much did the same stuff you recommend, with a few exceptions inherent to being level 29 and not having enough IP to get the runes I'd like to have on every champion. Some of my yellow runes were dodge, some of my blue runes were magic resist, and one of my 2 quints was movement speed.

Again, thanks for posting the guide. This has been even more fun than playing Zilean (who definitely has an exciting I Saved The Day! feel to him) and way more interesting and useful than playing Soraka.

Zirun

04-15-2010

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I've updated the guide with some more info, most about who's a good lane partner and who good lane opponents are. Unfortunately, I'm getting close to the character limit in that post, so I won't be able to make huge additions to it any more. If I do find things that absolutely have to be added, I will use one of my other posts in the thread, though, so don't worry!

@wallstop: I find Veil to be infinitely better than Rod for a few reasons. Firstly, MR. Janna only has 30 MR throughout the game, so getting any kind of MR really increases her survivability. Second, the spell shield is absolutely amazing, as I can use it do do things like block Ashe arrows and generally block damage and CC my allies would normally take. Also, the only thing a Rod really has over a Veil (AP) isn't really all that great on Janna. Lastly, it takes a long time to get the Rod completed when your gold comes in slower than a snail!

@Rawrified: Yeah, Banshee's Veil saves me a lot, too. I'm actually amazed at how often Ashe's ultimate picks me out of a group of people to hit. Probably close to 25% of all my deaths on Janna are a direct result of that one ability. =P

@Joebags: That build looks solid (except for no CDR. e_e), although it also looks extremely expensive. I don't like AP on Janna for a few reasons. None of her abilities have truly amazing scaling, and they're generally far more useful for their secondary effects. Past the laning phase, Eye of the Storm is more used as a 48 damage boost instead of a >300 damage shield because the shield goes down so easily. Also, getting CDR is basically the same as getting AP; it increases the DPS of your abilities. But no matter how much AP you get, only CDR will let you knock opponents up and slow them (and regain your haste faster!) more often, as well as allowing you to have two champions shielded with Eye of the Storm at the same time (which is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, imo!).

@Gumb E: Glad you like it! I agree that Janna is easily one of the most fun champions to play, even if it can end up being frustrating sometimes.

My last game, I used Monsoon to knock the enemy Jax away from my squishy allies pretty much every battle, and even saved our Fiddlesticks with very little health left with it, allowing us to ace them without losing a man and push for the win! Was definitely an awesome moment! =)

Wortel

04-15-2010

Awesome guide, I've been playing Janna for a while, and you are one of the few people who understand what Janna is all about (early game harassment and supersupport).

One comment: you should use Armor Penetration marks, since they help a lot early game. They will improve your harassment drastically, which is - as you explain - Janna's speciality.

Zirun

04-16-2010

Quote:
Wortel:
Awesome guide, I've been playing Janna for a while, and you are one of the few people who understand what Janna is all about (early game harassment and supersupport).

One comment: you should use Armor Penetration marks, since they help a lot early game. They will improve your harassment drastically, which is - as you explain - Janna's speciality.

Yeah, I probably should use armor penetration marks. The only downside to that is that armor penetration is nearly useless past the laning phase...

Still, marks are the least important runes, and I have other things to buy first before I really make a decision on which I want. :P The extra ~30-something health from health marks doesn't seem like it would be a terrible choice for the early-game, either. Maybe even armor marks. Or just armor pen like normal people. =)

Pr0phetEzekiel

04-18-2010

So after playing this for a few more games (~twenty), I love this build, and my team loves me.

I usually never even make it to Rod. In fact, here's my usual end game build:

Catalyst
Merc Treads/Mob Boots
(Aegis? If I have the cash)

...That's it.
And it works so amazingly well.
All game, I just follow the carry around, shielding him for extra damage/tower dives, tornadoing for escape/interrupt/etc.

My god.
The reason it works so well is because Janna doesn't need anything else besides Catalyst and boots to be an amazing support, not even creep kills. If you let your carry lanemate have them all, you both benefit amazingly.

Thank you so much for this guide. Whenever I roll with a premade, they always want me to play Janna, thanks to this.

Zirun

04-19-2010

Glad you like it. ^_^

Xyirx

04-21-2010

I really liked your guide, so I tried it just now. Very happy with the result.

Pseudobeast

04-21-2010

Both the OP and another person mentioned Jax getting a temporary health boost from the extra attack damage from Janna's shield. I'm pretty certain that Jax only gets that health boost from items that give AP or AD. Still, extra damage / shield on Jax is devestating, I'm sure

Zirun

04-21-2010

Quote:
Xyirx:
I really liked your guide, so I tried it just now. Very happy with the result.

Glad you like it!

Quote:
Pseudobeast:
Both the OP and another person mentioned Jax getting a temporary health boost from the extra attack damage from Janna's shield. I'm pretty certain that Jax only gets that health boost from items that give AP or AD. Still, extra damage / shield on Jax is devestating, I'm sure

He actually does get a health boost. The AD from the shield increases his max and current health, and the extra max health (but NOT the extra current health) goes away when the shield's duration is over.

Zirun

04-26-2010

^