The Idea of a Tank-Killer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asixro

Senior Member

07-04-2011

People want tank killers because you can roll with team tanky dps and having a well balanced team is hard to fight against it. It's by no means impossible but the balanced team has to be more skilled than team tanky dips and focus much better to get the job done.

Want a tank killer that doesn't destroy squishies? Make them do more damage the more armor and MR the target has. If the tank beefs up, the Tank killer gets em if they don't the squishies do.

One tank isn't too much of an issue, it's having 2 tanks that get one damage item, 1 support, and 2 tanky dps that get one tank item.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxSicariusxX

Senior Member

07-04-2011

There are ways of getting around this. Abilities can be made that do more damage the more magic resistance or armor a champion has. Just a quick idea I got from reading this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fluffy1

Senior Member

07-04-2011

like the current dedicated tank killers, most of them cant burst a tank down instantly and take about 5 or so seconds to drop, malzahar is good example, despite all his damage he wont kill a tank in less than 5 seconds, no matter who he hits he will probally kill them but given his limted escapes and range he can usualy only hit a tank safely anyways.

what i dont like the the appalling anti tank items, while a few notable exceptions can reliably kill a tank most mages will bounce off them completely leaving their dps to struggle. why is this? cause there is no counter to 200 MR where the mage isnt at the least droped to half damage. magic pen is expensive and ineffective once the target has 50+ MR leaving and void stave doesnt help you once they get past 200. given most "tank killing items" are magic damage they just become useless vs tanks. like the deathfire grasp, this item would be great if it wasnt for the fact its only used on burst casters to kill squishy targets faster.......


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luckyone001

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asixro View Post
People want tank killers because you can roll with team tanky dps and having a well balanced team is hard to fight against it. It's by no means impossible but the balanced team has to be more skilled than team tanky dips and focus much better to get the job done.

Want a tank killer that doesn't destroy squishies? Make them do more damage the more armor and MR the target has. If the tank beefs up, the Tank killer gets em if they don't the squishies do.

One tank isn't too much of an issue, it's having 2 tanks that get one damage item, 1 support, and 2 tanky dps that get one tank item.
So the inception of tank killers leads to teams wanting to build tankier...? What?

I personally have noticed tanky-dps teams on a huge decline, I don't even like having super tanky teams anymore because the damage is just to low.

Regardless of what this post says, % health mechanics don't automatically shred low health characters as well as tanks... thats the reason they "dont" do as well as other carries against low-hp targets, and thats why they are made to kill tanks, and not carries


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WCsharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSicariusxX View Post
There are ways of getting around this. Abilities can be made that do more damage the more magic resistance or armor a champion has. Just a quick idea I got from reading this.
I like this, scales off the amount of resistance the enemy has. Veigar's R does the same for AP, couldn't be impossible to implement.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SchmufMcgruff

Junior Member

07-04-2011

Well reading this thread I see a couple problems. Most of you are assuming a 1v1 vs a tank. This is a team game and though killing a 200 mres tank with an ap champ may be considered difficult to you, that vayne next to you with a last whisper and/or black cleaver should not share your difficulty. It seems pretty foolhardy to expect to burst down a tank with any one character anyways- they are tanks because they can supposedly take hits. WCSharp I noticed your comment and you might like the idea I had for vayne. My idea was to make her silver bullets do %health based damage on the lower of a champion's armor or magic resist. This way vayne would still be effective on an alistar with his ult up but would not be a definitive death sentence.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nutty Hater

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by axesandspears View Post
I'm going to keep this short and simple.

-Any champion that kills tanks fast will also kill dps fast.
&
-Tanks need to be able to survive large bursts to do their job.

Therefore: Tank-killers would virtually remove the effectiveness of tanking and serve as carries that could kill everything else quickly, turning this into a carry-only game in a short amount of time.

I understand tanks need to be killable, but it needs to be hard to kill them, currently, the difference between true tanks and dps is about right (vayne might be a bit much though) and no new champion should be designed purely with killing tanks in mind.

Thank you for reading and commenting below.
Except viable tanks do a fair share of damage that even with decent survival gear squishes still can't deal with them. I'm all for your post if tanks wish to be tank but they aren't currently they are bruisers who survive to long and do too much damage.

You say vayne is a bit much yet somehow amumu, alistar, malphite in their current forms aren't somehow. The street goes two ways tanks have too much in their kit for just being tanks.

Tanks also in comparison enjoy a far easier item build up to top tier or even mid tier items. Damage items of the best


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

axesandspears

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukrezia View Post
You make it sound like any carry can do it lol. Tank killers ~specialise~ in killing tanks because they do it better than other champions. Naturally % damage works just as effectively on lower health champs because it is % damage. But not every champ accesses % damage spells/items and as a result are better suited to avoiding tanks unless absolutely necessary. Vayne and kog'maw for example do proportional damage to both tanks and other champs, but nonetheless the fact that damage they can deal is based on a % of health, they are better suited compared to say an ashe with a crit sort of build.
You miss the point, making a champion to be a tank killer might be a problem in it's own right. Pesonally, I think Kog'Maw isn't so much a problem because his damage is still reduced by magic resistance.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carnack

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Depends on how the anti-tank features are made. Vayne can realisticly kill a tank given time and an inactive team.

So can Olaf.

However an active team will notice someone murdering their tank and will make the tactical decision to save the tank by gibbing the damage dealer if theey can.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Convergence

Senior Member

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindon Calsar View Post
Tanks and tanky dps just need to have their base dmg on skill nerfed hard and increase the ratios. This would make them either have to build and play like a tank, or build and play like a dps. At the moment most tanky dps is kind of ridiculous. Semi-tanky Jarvan rolling through an entire team shouldn't be able to happen but it does.
You do realize how few actual pure melee DPS champs there are, right? And you realize that not a single one of them are actually viable above maybe 1k elo, right?
For the longest time, melee have been shoved aside by Riot. They finally make them viable and useful, and everyone cries. I like the fact that the only person who can survive any hits on the team isn't just the tank - that's how it should be. If you're going into melee, you should have the health to survive it.