Math-theory Morde CDR build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

07-02-2011

So recently I played a game where I took some criticism for my build, and a suggestion from one of my teammates was to exchange Morellos Evil Tome for Deathcap, because I do not generally build a deathcap on Morde. This got me to thinking he might have a point, so I decided to crunch some numbers and see which was better in the long run.

My argument: CDR is needed to keep your shield up and active which is vital to your survivability.

His argument: Burst is more important.

My counter-argument: Over time, I'll do more damage with CDR than I will with Deathcap and Cost wise CDR is better.

A quick look at the builds on Mobafire or Leaguecraft (I'm using Leaguecraft) will tell you that your initial damage output will be significantly higher with deathcap... But I wanted to find out overall how much CDR improved your DPS, so here's what I did.

The Builds:

Sorc Shoes
Lich Bane
Hextech Gunblade
Abyssal Scepter
Randiuns Omen

Rabbadons Deathcap
OR
Morellos Evil Tome

For runes:

Blue - Flat CDR
Red - Mpen
Yellow - Flat Armor
Quints - Flat HP

For Masteries:

9/0/21

From there, I took each ability individually (excluding his ultimate), and I divided the cooldowns by 60.

For example, the cooldown on Mace of Spades with Deathcap is 3.21 and 2.41 with Morellos.

60 / 3.21 = 18.69~

60 / 2.41 = 24.90~

I then multiplied the total damage done from each ability by the # of times you can cast the ability in 1 minute, including Lich Bane procs.

The totals for each ability with Morellos vs Deathcap are listed below:

Morellos:

Q = 24575
W = 7072
E = 7327
Total damage done in 1 minute - 38974

Deathcap:

Q = 24654 (A mere 75 damage advantage over Morellos! And this is including Lichbane procs!)
W = 6814
E = 6875
Total damage done in 1 minute - 38343

Total damage difference: Morellos over Deathcap by 631 damage.

Now, this isn't a really fair comparison since Morellos costs approximately 800 gold less than Deathcap, so I decided to add the grand totals for both builds and divide the total damage done by the cost of gold... here are the results:

Deathcap: 2.18 damage per gold.

Morellos: 2.40 damage per gold.

For the record, I recognize that my friends point about "burst" is important. The ability to open up a fight by taking off a large chunk of an enemies HP is very important. However, I personally believe that is more of the job of the carrys.

Mordekaisers greatest strength (imo) is that he can stay in a battle for extended periods of time and take a LOT of punishment assuming he is able to keep his shield active for the majority of the fight. Stacking CDR on Morde is like stacking Attack Speed on a LifeSteal character... It just makes sense. The more often you attack the more damage you do the more you heal the more you endure. While other AP carrys have to move out of the battle to avoid getting gibbed, Morde can remain and keep the lane from getting pushed and continue to harass. If you were attempting to build Morde for PURE burst damage, obviously you would want to maximize your AP and Spell Pen so that you can nuke people down quickly; and that will get you a lot of kills. Alternatively, if you want to stay in the fight longer and stay alive longer and thus force enemies out of the fight through pure sustainability ... CDR is a much more cost effective alternative.

SprintTech930

07-02-2011

CDR would win out over a longer time period then any other item. The longer you take it into account the stronger it gets.
That said, what team fight last a minute long? Most are over in a matter of a dozen seconds. Pure minion wise, you would pick the CDR, but for effective team play, you would justifiably get laughed or sneered at.

TheButcher2

07-02-2011

You are right!

Etherimp

07-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarijuanster View Post
CDR would win out over a longer time period then any other item. The longer you take it into account the stronger it gets.
That said, what team fight last a minute long? Most are over in a matter of a dozen seconds. Pure minion wise, you would pick the CDR, but for effective team play, you would justifiably get laughed or sneered at.
Morde isn't a carry like Ashe or Annie. His job is to stay alive, be threatening, and clear minion waves in seconds flat while harassing. . . Once a team fight begins, he Ults an AD carry and his Ghost takes out teams. More AP will make a stronger Ult; yes. But the difference between CDR and AP builds, the cooldown on your ult is 18 seconds shorter with CDR...and a Deathcap Ult provides 8% more damage. Significant, sure.. But so is 18 seconds when it comes to team fights.

8% more damage on a carry is about 152 hp assuming they have about 1900hp.

Compare that to having your Ult up almost 20 seconds earlier.

Also, you can't burst if you can't live or attack. CDR, keeps you alive.

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2011

9/0/21 Masteries with CDR glyphs puts you at ~15%.

Since Spirit Visage now works with spellvamp and lifesteal, get it for everything it offers. This includes another 10% CDR.

Randuin's gives you 5% more. You can get the remaining 10% from a blue elixir.

Meanwhile, depending on team comp, you might be able to get blue buff, meaning that you could get away with no CDR items and still be practically capped.

Etherimp

07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyren View Post

Since Spirit Visage now works with spellvamp and lifesteal, get it for everything it offers. This includes another 10% CDR.

Meanwhile, depending on team comp, you might be able to get blue buff, meaning that you could get away with no CDR items and still be practically capped.
Spirit Visage doesn't really boost your AP, however, where as Morellos or DFG, do; which is why I compared Morellos to Deathcap.

If I'm playing Solo-que with a bunch of randoms I may grab blue if no one else is taking initiative to get it, but I play mostly arranged matches so our AP Carry, Support, tank, or jungler usually has priority for Blue Buff over Morde.

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2011

However, those both have wasted stats on mana regen, where as nothing is wasted on Spirit Visage.

Oh, and btw, the gold difference between Morello's and Deathcap is 1250.

Hocus

07-03-2011

Quote:

this, you can get cdr from other stuff instead of morellos.
randuins, ionian, spirit visage, frozen heart. hell, I remember the time when the only build on him was warmogs, FoN and atmas, meaning autoattacks ftw

But maybe morellos is a good choice, I generally don't like it as i go cdr per lvl + runes

Etherimp

07-03-2011

Quote:
However, those both have wasted stats on mana regen, where as nothing is wasted on Spirit Visage.

Oh, and btw, the gold difference between Morello's and Deathcap is 1250.
Right. Early morning math fail on my part with the cost difference. Nonetheless, you're comparing a defensive item to a DPS item. I have a post detailing why Morellos and DFG are options on Morde in terms of itemization. In short, they are the most bang for your buck when it comes to CDR. Boots are bad itemization considering the other viable options of Sorc Shoes, Merc Treads, and even Ninja Tabi. Most other CDR items have "wasted stats", as you put it, or are simply bad itemization when compared to other items that could be put in that same slot. It's simply min-maxing. ie - minimizing your cost while maximizing your DPS and survivability.

Spirit Visage provides 10% CDR, which puts you at 25% after Masteries/Runes. Assuming you cannot get blue buff (which as I already stated, is better given to AP Carry/Support/Tank in most cases), then you need to pick up another 10% CDR somewhere to compensate for the 20% you would get on Morellos; not to mention the 70 AP. This means you're taking up another slot which would be better used on another item.

Aside from that, my initial post was not made to encourage people to build one way or another. I have my preferences, and I'm sure others have theirs. The post was simply to outline the long term benefits of CDR over straight AP. As I stated above, some people may like to build Morde as an AP carry with bursty damage... If that's your preference, go for it. I was simply surprised at how well CDR performed when compared to AP after crunching the actual numbers; and since most posts on these forums regarding builds are conjecture and opinion rather than hard facts I figured people would appreciate some math-crafting.

If someone more motivated than myself would like to help create a graph showing how each stat increases/decreases in effectiveness over time I'd be happy to contribute.

Ziggie Smalls

07-03-2011

Morello's has mana regen and you have no mana. Factor in the waste of gold on a stat that is completely wasted on your hero.