Can someone be banned for saying "GAY"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MewOfDoom

07-02-2011

I wouldn't ban for gay. But, then again, I don't really like to ban for any form of language that isn't directly effecting the game.

I would also, however, pardon someone if they choose to chain feed after their teammates harassed them just for being a homosexual. If the teammates don't care about their own allies, I don't see why the person up for vote in the tribunal should care either.

Taroshima

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
Bzzt. Wrong. People who want to report people for "verbal abuse" are allowing Riot to run their game on their servers their way.
Riot running their game their way has zero to do with the assertion that running it that way will ruin said game. Learn to read?
Quote:
Except that's not how language evolves. At all. Using gay to equate stupid is indirectly stating that gay people are stupid, because it's still a word used by the homosexual community, and the link was chosen by insecure children to distance themselves from any preceived homosexuality by attacking another's sexuality.

Using the word "gay" in any derogatory meaning is indirectly (or in some cases directly) insulting actual gays. Saying otherwise is simply massive ignorance on your part
You're (unsurprisingly) wrong again. Using any word as a general term has nothing to do with any other group's choice to use it as their own descriptor. Not to mention that group co-opted the word in the first place from another meaning. Lean to logic?

Malachi Nnelg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2011

people report for anything now, I got a report because someone said "oh that's dumb" when they got ganked, apparently saying dumb is a bad word. welcome to pre-school friends

SHOE788

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroshima View Post
Riot running their game their way has zero to do with the assertion that running it that way will ruin said game. Learn to read?
Then please form a non-laughable argument as to why enforcing non-discriminatory language will ruin the game.

Ajaxiss

07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus In A Speedo View Post
You can be banned for anything above breathing. Nuff sedd...
sometimes breathing is too much for some ppl.
btw riot should institute a backraid policy on offside whistle blowers.

aka reported someone wrongly or for something discriminatory.
should be a way to track that, i havent run into this sort of bad player on this game yet. still holding hope i never will, but we shall see....

Nexialist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2011

Gay is not offensive at all, especially in the way that you described. He wasn't calling anyone gay, he was just saying it after he died. He was venting. "I was about to kill him but Soraka ulted him and he killed me. So gay." If you think the person deserves a ban for saying this, you really need to grow some skin.

DJ Radix

07-04-2011

I don't punish for "That was gay" but I do punish for "You keep using your gay skill" or "Your build is gay"

If it's specifically directed at someone, I punish for that. If I can't determine who it is directed at or if it was directed at someone at all I don't punish.

That said, if it is offensive to you then you should punish vote.

I *do* always vote punish if they use the word "f*g*" or "*f*gg**", thought. Same as the "n"-word

Minandreas

07-05-2011

'Gay' has, for many people, become the same as any of the usual 4 letter obscenities one drops when they are mad, frustrated, annoyed etc. He was obviously using it in this context, not in one that was targeting people with a non-majority sexual preference. So I would say treat it the same as if he had been dropping one of those common 4 letter words. Would you punish if he was using one of those words instead? And like someone else suggested, if someone using the word 'gay' in that context is offensive to you, let Riot know you want it put on the chat filter. (if it's not already there tbh, I've never had it on before)

Personal opinion, I would need more info. But I'd most likely pardon. This is a fine line issue, because I think the vast majority of players really don't care if someone is dropping bombs with no target other than themselves. "**** I keep ****ing that skill shot up. This is not my ****ing game." Is totally unnecessary, but it's also not targeting anyone. If that kind of thing is STILL offensive to you, then that's what the chat filter was created for.

Personally, and I'm going to get down voted for this because people feel they have every right to NOT do this, but I think you need to start taking context in to account before being offended. The N word can be highly offensive. But then again it gets dropped in certain contexts, music for example, all the time. I have even seen it used in a positive manner, one person referring to another with it. It's all about context. If someone gives no indication of referring to sexual orientation when using the term 'gay', then one should not get offended as a result of sexual orientation. Context is sort of "social skills 101". If I had to worry about people assuming I meant the third definition of every word I use, I would give up on communication entirely and become a mime. =P

For a funny little exercise to point out what I mean, pop open a dictionary, pop open a news article, and use the last variant definition listed for every word. It's rather entertaining.

Fuggawf

07-05-2011

bunch of ******s in this thread

SHOE788

07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minandreas View Post
'Gay' has, for many people, become the same as any of the usual 4 letter obscenities one drops when they are mad, frustrated, annoyed etc. He was obviously using it in this context, not in one that was targeting people with a non-majority sexual preference. So I would say treat it the same as if he had been dropping one of those common 4 letter words. Would you punish if he was using one of those words instead? And like someone else suggested, if someone using the word 'gay' in that context is offensive to you, let Riot know you want it put on the chat filter. (if it's not already there tbh, I've never had it on before)
Quote:
'Gay'
Quote:
same as any...obscenity
Quote:
not in one that was targeting people with a non-majority sexual preference.
Really? Because listing "gay" as an obscenity seems pretty targeting to me.