Can someone be banned for saying "GAY"?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Olera144

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-01-2011

If you found it enough to ruin your game then you can report him. Whether or not I'd hit punish would depend on frequency and usage of the word. Trolling and taunting are different than attacking so if it seemed attacking I would chose to punish.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TakeASeatBoi

Junior Member

07-02-2011

So a qq thread on the word gay..... and a gay advocate that compares himself to the nazis..... Thread is so full of fail.....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twisted Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-02-2011

No I dont think that warrants a ban, The word gay when used in certain contexts is not directed at the gay community. Gay has a slang usage thats not targeted at any groups.

Example: "OMG, that was so gay" does not necessarily refer to or have anything to do with the gay community at all.

See definition 3
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay

"often used to describe something stupid or unfortunate."
"A generic insult. It can mean bad, stupid, whatever you want it to mean. "


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YourSoft

Senior Member

07-02-2011

hey was happy


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SHOE788

Senior Member

07-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Fox View Post
No I dont think that warrants a ban, The word gay when used in certain contexts is not directed at the gay community. Gay has a slang usage thats not targeted at any groups.

Example: "OMG, that was so gay" does not necessarily refer to or have anything to do with the gay community at all.

See definition 3
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay

"often used to describe something stupid or unfortunate."
"A generic insult. It can mean bad, stupid, whatever you want it to mean. "
This is an ignorant post.

Using the word "gay" as a replacement for "stupid" means that you associate "gayness" with "stupid". Nothing about gay people, being gay, liking gays, or gay is stupid, and associating the word "gay" with derogatory words is prejudice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeful

Senior Member

07-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootHands View Post
People who want to report people for "verbal abuse" ruin the game.
Bzzt. Wrong. People who want to report people for "verbal abuse" are allowing Riot to run their game on their servers their way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twisted Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOE788 View Post
This is an ignorant post.

Using the word "gay" as a replacement for "stupid" means that you associate "gayness" with "stupid". Nothing about gay people, being gay, liking gays, or gay is stupid, and associating the word "gay" with derogatory words is prejudice.
No you are being ignorant. Words change with time and the way it is used is in no means directed at the gay community. they are not hating on anyone. Its simply slang. Whether or not the word had a poor origin does not change the fact that the way it is used is not meant as an insult to the gay community. There are plenty of words that this has happened to. There is no ill intent behind those words and that is recognized by the society in its manner of usage. It should only be punishable in cases where the word is clearly being used to insult, attack, etc. the gay community.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeful

Senior Member

07-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Fox View Post
No you are being ignorant. Words change with time and the way it is used is in no means directed at the gay community. they are not hating on anyone. Its simply slang. Whether or not the word had a poor origin does not change the fact that the way it is used is not meant as an insult to the gay community. There are plenty of words that this has happened to. There is no ill intent behind those words and that is recognized by the society in its manner of usage. It should only be punishable in cases where the word is clearly being used to insult, attack, etc. the gay community.
Except that's not how language evolves. At all. Using gay to equate stupid is indirectly stating that gay people are stupid, because it's still a word used by the homosexual community, and the link was chosen by insecure children to distance themselves from any preceived homosexuality by attacking another's sexuality.

Using the word "gay" in any derogatory meaning is indirectly (or in some cases directly) insulting actual gays. Saying otherwise is simply massive ignorance on your part.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

Senior Member

07-02-2011

I'd say "gay" isn't all that offensive unless it's directed at some one. I see it in the same light as I see the f-word. If it's said in a neutral manner, it's nothing of note, but it becomes serious when you direct it at some one, which is why I treat (other gay slur word that is censored and starts with F) to be on the same level as any racial slur because it can't ever be used neutrally.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alsowikk

Senior Member

07-02-2011

Except saying the F bomb in place of "this sucks" doesn't mean you're associating a specific trait in some humans with the situation at hand. The person was obviously either prejudiced or vying for a reaction when they repeatedly said the word gay whenever they died(for instance losing a 1v5 to champions who are a higher level/=gay)


123