Can someone be banned for saying "GAY"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alsowikk

07-01-2011

Long story short, I was in a game earlier where an opponent would type GAY in all chat whenever he/she/it/their champion died. I know this is going to sound stupid(and cause everyone who reads this to question my sexual prefferences) but I DO take offense to it and I'm wondering if they should be able to be banned over it.

responses/post are appreciated

ComeOnAndSlamJam

07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsowikk View Post
Long story short, I was in a game earlier where an opponent would type GAY in all chat whenever he/she/it/their champion died. I know this is going to sound stupid(and cause everyone who reads this to question my sexual prefferences) but I DO take offense to it and I'm wondering if they should be able to be banned over it.

responses/post are appreciated
No, grow a thicker skin h0m0

alsowikk

07-01-2011

So I assume you preffer discrimination based upon a chromosomal defect pre-brith that the afflicted cannot control or prevent in any way.(was about the second poster).

EDIT: I don't get why I'm being downvoted(well I forgot to quote the second poster but still). I meant that people harass based off of the idea that someone may be gay/homosexual and that wasn't a choice they made(the harassed). Regardless of whether they are actually homosexuals the idea of attacking people based off of presumed sexual orientation determined pre-birth by random dna mutations is simply idiotic.

ComeOnAndSlamJam

07-01-2011

Quote:
Or you are compensating for something...small in the pants? Mommy never loved you?
How is that trolling any different from what I said? The only difference is that I'm not offended. Outside this game, I'm actually a gay rights advocate.

People who want to report people for "verbal abuse" ruin the game. Trolling is metagame. If you don't like it, propose having GAY added to the word filter.

alsowikk

07-01-2011

Somehow I find the whole thing doubtfull. I found it offensive given he was using in an obviously mocking manor/complete misuse of the word in general(yes I am a grammar nazi). I will be honest and say that was immature on my part, but you failed to answer the intial question of my post which is , and yes this was after EVERY death) that if someone is saying in all chat "GAY"(without the quotes) and other various things reffering to us not being heterosexuals based off of in game performance.

Can it be considered toxic to the community and warrant a ban.

SeCKS Egai

07-01-2011

I'd find it hard to punish for the use of "gay" alone unless it was targeted specifically at someone in an obvious derogatory use.

Likelihood is that person accused would more likely have plenty of instances where harassment or verbal abuse came into play.

Trolling is not metagame - we're all supposed to have fun but not at the expense of others. People can be jerks on-line, doesn't mean we have to put up with it.

Scarlena

07-01-2011

I don't think it's ban worthy, because I don't think it's offensive. However, I understand how some people would. You're probably banned based on whatever Rioter happens to get the 'gay' report case. It's personal opinion. If I was the Rioter wielding the ban hammer, I would let one 'GAY!' slide, some wouldn't.

Bolby

07-01-2011

Quote:
So I assume you preffer discrimination based upon a chromosomal defect pre-brith that the afflicted cannot control or prevent in any way. Or you are compensating for something...small in the pants? Mommy never loved you?
Careful with the science, the chromosomal defect has been proven to a degree. And not many homosexuals are actually associated with that defect.

alsowikk

07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolby View Post
Careful with the science, the chromosomal defect has been proven to a degree. And not many homosexuals are actually associated with that defect.
EDIT to end all edits: I may be wrong here(and I'm sorry if I'm stepping on any creationalist toes here), buuuuuuut isn't everything traced to our chromosomes+dna? We get our hair colors, size, height, digestive track ect. from it so why wouldn't it be attached to the chromosomes? The whole defect thing is because of this...in nature if every single creature in a species was attracted only to the same gender then they wouldn't reproduce. The species would die and it'd be a very bad day. But in humans that isn't a problem since we can rationalize and still reproduce with eachother even if we aren't nessecarily attracted to the opposite gender (hence in nature, it's a defect but for HUMANS and sentient beings...it's nothing since we can still reproduce! Yay science!)

End of scientific lecture. I'm sorry to all creationalist/biology teachers/smart people/people who think I'm trying to sound superior here(really I'm not!) and or know I've butchered the facts. So can I stop getting downvoted with no explanation? I wasn't trying to offend anyone here, and no offense but everyone has got something that can be considered a defect(there's alot of small things that make up that list. You aren't discriminating based off of hair color are you? Then why bother with someone's sexuality? It's the same ballpark for anything related to genetics). TAKE THAT RASCISM!

EDIT to end all edits v2: Still getting downvoted with no clue on WHY. Can I at least get a response? Did I offend anyone here by acident? Any creationalist or people who know I'm wrong and aren't telling me here who feel the need to downvote this?(sorry if I'm sounding superior here, but I don't mean to offend).

Mísanthropic

07-01-2011

You can be banned for anything above breathing. Nuff sedd...