CAD Auther hits 10k Referals, Doesnt get to design champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sleiphner

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarhawkX86 View Post
I notice everyone attempting to flame me for this post, which is fine but understand again RIOT is LEGALLY OBLIGATED by their own statement to allow Tim to DEVELOP a champion.

As a game development student once told me when you use the word develop in game developing generally implies design, create, or otherwise have some form of creative license to change, improve or otherwise work on said item in development. Riot is allowing none of these things with the 10k referral.

As a business student, with a legal background this sentence makes the sentence legally binding to allow changes or otherwise develop a portion of a champion.
I'm an Anthropology student with a dual major in Semantics, and the power of the word "or" is too powerful for you as a "Business Student with Legal Background" to overcome.

Macerate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2011

ITT: The situation resembles one of the greatest movies of all time, Willy Wonka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VgGslQx408

Mirror

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
The Champion design process is months long - so we want to bring someone in for a few days during a part of the process that's really rewarding. Ultimately we decided that it made more sense to bring someone in closer to the end - when the team is designing abilities, balance, etc which is where the most gameplay-impacting decisions get made. That however means that the concept itself is already pretty fleshed out.

Of course it's not a - "you get to drop whatever Champion you want in the game" type of thing =D. Our own designers don't even get to do that - it's a very collaborative process.

That being said, we're going to update the language on the page to clarify
Since balance and kit are (or would seem) more delicate and game-impacting than concept wouldn't it be a lot more fulfilling for someone to come in and drop their fantasy Champion on your desk and talk with you about the possibilities, than to sit in a conference room and basically have all the Rioters rolling their eyes when they offer mechanics ideas? =[

Mortos00000

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macerate View Post
He got the prize just as Riot promised he would, so there's no reason to QQ on the behalf of someone else who has the ability to voice their own opinions through their webcomic and own forums.
As I said, yes he got the prize following its exact wording, and Riot isn't obligated to do more, but many people understood it as otherwise, and quite frankly, the other option is better for Riot; which is the point I was trying to make. Instead of defending that it's okay to give out a boring prize, they should embrace it and do what most people expected it to be (within reason of course; not saying let them dictate a champion, but work together to create a new one, sure).

Dahaka

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarhawkX86 View Post
So if you follow Tim Buckley of CAD or http://www.cad-comic.com/ you know that he hit 10k referrals trying to get a sort of "Community vote" champion made, only to be informed by Riot that the 10k referral reward is really just to fly out there and see a champion riot is already working on.

I guess the point of this thread is to make the community aware that riot is legally obligated to change their referral rewards page to reflect the actual nature of the prize but in addition make the community aware that riot has no intention of anyone ever designing a champion but them, which saddens me to no end.

Riot seems to like having us view things like Dreamhack online, loves the fact that the ESL chose their game for the Intel Extreme Series but apparently doesn't love their fans enough to allow us to help design and give serious feedback and help creating champions for a game we love.

Just wanted everyone to know.

And of course knowing the community, some trolls and flamers are sure to come out of the woodworks on this one, I could care less.
You mean you COULDN'T care less.

Whatever, I'm glad Bum Tickley didn't get his way. He's just making comics about LoL jokes that are a year old now. He also blatantly plagiarized the champion off an existing concept.

Plus Now I get to see him cry about it. Brofist to Riot on this one.

Macerate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortos00000 View Post
As I said, yes he got the prize following its exact wording, and Riot isn't obligated to do more, but many people understood it as otherwise, and quite frankly, the other option is better for Riot; which is the point I was trying to make. Instead of defending that it's okay to give out a boring prize, they should embrace it and do what most people expected it to be (within reason of course; not saying let them dictate a champion, but work together to create a new one, sure).
My response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gRz...eature=related

Shoulda read the fine print
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pikturz/3647700917/

MPLocke

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortos00000 View Post
Okay, first of all, the issue here has nothing to do with how good his webcomic is, or how he runs HIS OWN forums, or even if he is a nice guy (Seriously, the amount of people here that spew bile because of a copy pasted list of reasons why his webcomic isn't good is astounding). The fact is that he did (in theory, we'll see how many hit level 5) bring in a huge amount of business for riot; hoping he and those who participated could help actually design a champion. I'm not going to say that Riot is obligated to do this, but I also want to point out that he isn't suggesting a shark either, he just wants to get a handful of ideas to pitch to riot, who may work with him to make one a champion, giving him and all those who joined up, the feeling like they contributed to this game.

TLDR: Who cares how good his webcomic is? Riot isn't obligated to let him pitch champion ideas, but should anyways; as it'll encourage the 10k people he brought in to feel like they contributed. Plus it'll encourage more people to go for the referral reward.
Uh, he didn't get anyone business. He told them that they don't have to play the game too long, just till level 5. He even suggested just playing Co-op vs Ai just to level and not to jump in queue at all. I'm pretty sure his fans will do whatever the hell he tells them to because they don't know any better. Buckley is very manipulative of his fans, he's robbed them of hundreds of dollars in the past with his BF2 server incident, as well as be a huge ***hole to other people in the business. His fans already GOT something because they felt they contributed, the prizes are described on his website. Learn2internet.

Opiyel Guabiran

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjaden View Post
ITT: people who do not know the difference between "design" and "develop" as it pertains to games.

Edit: CURSE YOU ABOVE POSTER
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/design

Design : to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plan : devise, contrive to conceive and plan out in the mind

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/develop

Develop: a : to work out the possibilities of
b : to create or produce especially by deliberate effort over time

Now while there are other definitions of Design (Artwork) and Develop (Photography), there really isn't a difference in words. Just semantics.

Smeckledorf

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjaden View Post
ITT: people who do not know the difference between "design" and "develop" as it pertains to games.

Edit: CURSE YOU ABOVE POSTER
Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiyel Guabiran View Post
To be very honest, that's a pretty crappy prize for 10k referrals. I'd rather get the free content for life prize than help make a champ that's already been decided on lore-wise and mechanics wise.
Lucky for you, you only need 5,000 referrals for that.

Sleiphner

06-30-2011

Also, if you read that blog post, from what I can tell, he lists it as" 7,000" referrals, not the necessary 10,000.