Shop Interface Improvement

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ERazER

08-29-2009

1. Addition of categories for "Cooldown Reduction", "Aura", "Starting Items".

Currently if a player that hasn't memorized the items and wants to get any of these he has to look in all categories and read all tooltips.
Starting items would be really helpful for new players, it will be all suggested starting items or what I prefer - all 475 gold or less items available(there are currently 18 such items, but a larger menu will fix that), so they can decide for themselves.

2. Removing the 2 step item category selection and adding all the buttons for all categories in one menu screen.

You have huge buttons and a shop screen that doesn't take up all your screen, but both of these properties don't serve any particular purpose.
Why should I have to click 4 times just to switch item categories? I know I can save 1 click by using the buttons on the top, but they are inconvenient, since the main buttons are at the bottom.

The sub categories can be outlined and have the main category name on top, but you have plenty of space, don't waste it with clunky UI. Smaller buttons and bigger shop interface will make it look better and make it much more convenient.
Another thing you could achieve with a bigger menu is having all items for a main category listed on one screen. Having the ability to look at all offensive items and decide do you need X property or Y, without having to change categories multiple times is very convenient. Personally, if given the option I would always use the "all" button, instead of any sub category.
You can even have a main category for all items with price ranges as sub categories. This way new players can judge what they can buy with their current amount of gold without having to look trough all categories and waste 5 minutes.

Here's a quick example I made in paint: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1935/57685397.png

3. Adding a "back" button on the right side(the detailed item/recipe screen).

It's a simple convenience, for example when you're buying potions and recipe parts each time, so you don't have to browse categories again or click on your inventory, you just barely move your mouse and click that button.

4. Clicking on your actual inventory should be the same action as clicking in the shop inventory(i.e. it should bring the detailed item screen for that particular item), when the shop is open.

It's not like you'll be using potions when you've opened the shop interface and clicking on your always visible inventory is more intuitive, so players should have the option for that.

If it's more appropriate I'll repost this in the item discussion forum(or a mod can move it).

Hand of Might

08-31-2009

/Signed - I immediately noticed that although the item selection system was intuitive with the recipes and recommended items and all, it was ridiculous how much time I had to spend browsing through the menus.

Please change the way we select item categories - perhaps my only vice with this otherwise epic game

ERazER

09-03-2009

Thanks for the reply!

I guess this forum isn't very active, but it would be nice to get more opinions on the matter.

Oddiz

09-03-2009

It's just this forum isn't very, well, concerned with a good game so much as winning with their favorite champion.

This is a very well thought out post, I agree with all of the suggestions. This is exactly the kind of feedback Riot needs to hear: straightforward, simple, and with a clear path for what to do in order to improve.

Kale

09-03-2009

I also agree with the original poster. Very well thought out and it would improve the interface greatly.

Lil Boxen

09-03-2009

I think LoL needs some hotkeys for the shop. Clearly the speed in the shop issue is more for hardcore players, i'm sure they ll be more than willing to memorize a few hotkeys.

Perhaps 1- Attack 2- Defense... etc.
With the sub-columns listed in the same way? and of course you would need a hotkey to return to the first menu for speed's sake

Svetyac

09-04-2009

I agree with the OP and would add another suggestion. And that is to add also a category named "Tier".

That category can be further broken into subcategories of tiers "Tier 1", "Tier 2" etc. which will add even better overview of the both total and tiered by quality items.

orunin

09-04-2009

Letting my thread die and putting the discussion in one thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orunin View Post
Example:
http://images.orunin.com/lol_itemshop.jpg

------

Item Sorting:
Similar to how the champion selection works (sorting heroes by mage, disabler, etc), it would be nice to have the item shop built the same way. For example, selecting "Spell Damage" and "Movement" will show the Sorcerer's Shoes. This way people can get exactly what they are looking for when they are optimizing builds.

Saved Builds:
Over where it usually says "Recommended Items", you could put a feature where someone can just select a build they are already planning on using. Examples would be "warwick jungling build", "warwick end game", "teemo AP build". This will make it easier for people to get to the items they want and try out new builds/strats. The recommended build for that character will still be included and set as the default selection at the beginning of the game.

Also, I just changed the item description so it's slightly easier to read. It's not that big of a deal but I thought I would just include one last thing.