Master Yi Small 3V3 Guide!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoGaming2k10

04-10-2010

Before i start the guide id like to say Hi! Im YoDarrell from YoGaming2k10, were a small gaming group - an unheard of gaming group consisting of me and some friends Please check out our videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/YoGaming2K10 and subscribe if you thought this guide was useful!

We post videos at least once a day so check it out

Before Posting the guide id like to say i created this account YoGaming2k10 to post videos about gaming. I came from the European servers and was formerly summoner rank 23.

Ive gotten alot of feedback about my videos saying that the players in the videos are "Noobs" this may be correct as of now because I myself am a low rank. i intend to post gradually more and more videos to this list of me playing master yi. Ill split the videos into two sections. Kill Cam Videos, videos which focus on the killing blows etc and i will also add Game play videos of moments i believe to show skill and may benefit users watching.

Examples of the build in game!

Kill Cam Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NU9p3CwUqw - Summoner rank 4

GamePlay Videos

(Coming Soon)

Please note i only really play 3v3 as I enjoy it more than 5v5 so all videos in the section above will contain 3v3 footage. Ill also place the summoner rank I was when playing the match at the end of each video, this will allow newer members to see footage from games at their level and allow more experienced users to skip out the "Newbie" Game play.

With that all out of the way ill begin on the guide!

Here is a guide for My Master Yi 3v3 build

Please note this is a 3v3 build not a 5v5 build

Pre Game Preparations

Talk to your team about laning. As Master Yi i recommend that you solo lane. Read the lane arrangements section below and when you decide what lane method you wish to use tell your team mates that you want to choose that lane. Its important that you sort this out before the match starts to that your team mates are on the same page as you. It helps the flow of the game alot
Summoner spells
Ill explain summoner spells within the lane arrangements section the reason being i alternate summoner spells depending on which lane i am using.

Lane Arrangements!

Solo Top – Recommended for confident players.
Advantages
The top lane is amazing exp wise, you have access to both the bottom and top jungle. When laning the top lane if your minions close in on an enemy turret which you cannot destroy go to the jungle and kill a few creeps. This will give you an exp boost over other players as master yi is great at creeping. Remember to always aim for the killing blow.
Disadvantages
The Top Lane has 8 Potential Entrances this means your enemies can quite easily set up a gank to kill you to combat this always remain aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on the other teams members.

Top Lane Summoner Spells
Smite/Cleanse + Flash
Smite will help you get the jungle minion kills when you are level 1-6 this can greatly increase your exp gain.
Cleanse will allow you to run away from any crowd control effects. If Cleanse is on cool down use highlander to get away from problematic situations
Flash is your best friend use it to escape!

Solo Bottom – Recommended for newer players
Advantages
As opposed to the top there are half as many entrances to the bottom lane this means you are alot safer, especially if you hug the bottom of the map. You also have access to two easy to kill groups of creeps, always try to kill these mobs when your minions are on the way.
Disadvantages
On the bottom lane you lack as many creeps as the top lane however you can make up for this by planning ganks with your team mates – remember how i said the top lane has 8 entrances? Use one of them and wait for a weak hero to come past, alpha strike them pop wuju styles and try to kill them!
Bottom Lane Summoner Spells
Exhaust/Cleanse/Ghost + Flash
Flash is your best friend use it to escape!
Cleanse will allow you to run away from any crowd control effects. If Cleanse is on cool down use highlander to get away from problematic situations

Ghost will allow you to get extra kills from running enemies use it to close the gap

Masteries

Honestly i don’t have a set in stone build as im a low rank however im building toward 21/0/9 i go for

Rune Build

My item build has hardly any critical strike, in order to combat this i invest all my runes into critical strike at level 30 you can get around 20% extra critical chance

My skill Build

Highlander > Alpha strike > Wuju > Meditation
Always get alpha strike as your 1st move, it helps scare the enemy during lane. Alternate between alpha and wuju remember Yi is best if he out levels opponents this is because with each level wuju strikes will allow you to do quite a bit more damage.

Item Build
Id like to say with my item build you must be very willing to adapt the the situation and know whether your having a good or bad game.

1. Firstly i usually buy boots and a potion. Save the 90g and save up for your boot upgrade.

2a. Now upgrade your boots, buy beserker boots if the team your playing has little to no stuns
2b. If the team has alot of crowd control buy mercury threads
3a. By now you should have a few kills. If not you should atleast be the highest level on your team, start saving up for BFF sword, if your prone to dying buy vamparic sceptre first and then buy the bff sword
3b. if your having a bad game Instead of going for BFF Sword buy milady and phage first
4. You should have a couple of kills under your belt and be level 8-13. Buy infinite edge and begin to gank towers and players.
Now depending on the situation you can freestyle.

High Armour teams - If the team your are playing is stacking armour go for last whisper and maldreads, then buy 1 blood thirster

Low Armour teams – If the team your playing is low armour you can mess around a bit with the items i usually just stack 3 blood thirsters those 3 with milday give 90% Life steal

With this build you will dominate the map you have 90% Life steal (potentially)

If you have any feedback on this guide etc please comment

ALSO CHECK OUT http://www.youtube.com/user/YoGaming2K10 for videos and examples of the build in action

Praedoran

04-10-2010

I disagree with your lane opinions. Solo top is riskier but with competent map awareness and calls for MIAs, Yi can hit up quick jungles for great xp and gold in between waves. I do this with Udyr and it works great. Most other champs aren't capable of jungling as quick as Udyr and Yi, but until Yi can overcome his Mana Issues (with items, masteries or runes) he's going to be limited in his growth.

Cleanse is a must for Yi, with the secondary being up for grabs. Smite will help you grab runes quicker and suppliment your gold, Flash is a useful escape button (Yi's without Flash are often the first targets in my games), Clarity solves a lot of mana issues early game, and Ghost is useful for the run speed / escape power.

Yi does not dominate lanes, but he's an excellent jungler. You have to use this to your advantage else you will flounder in a solo lane against a competent opponent.

Mortal Kombat

04-10-2010

You realize that the entire first half of that video consisted of you killing the exact same pirate who sat in melee range 1v2. While the second half was you killing the exact same Veigar, who even worse, also sat in melee range and auto attacked you. I saw nothing that made me believe that you couldn't have been just as successful against these opponents if you were blind picking your items.

Admittedly, I did like the video editing, everything was visible and for the most part it was easier on the eyes compared to most LoL videos. I assume its intent was to be more of a highlight reel as opposed to anything instructional, in that sense it served its purpose.

Honestly though, I'd recommend that you not make anymore guides or videos until you play against decent opponents. I don't think anyone wants to see you kill bot-equivalent players. Once you get to that point - I'll definitely look forward to watching your videos.

Praedoran

04-10-2010

/agree Mortal Kombat. Veigar is terribad at TT and Gangplank was pretty noobish as well, the fact they lost a tower before you even hit level 6 is a testament to their lack of skills. Good editing job though, but we wanna see some real skills and included commentary would be nice.

Leirkov

04-10-2010

Your item build kind of scares me, I mean, my build is typically the Vampiric Scepter since 12% lifesteal at the start is awesome. Then I get Berserker Greaves, and get a Malady. After that I stack whatever I find is necessary. Typically, Phantom Dancer > Infinity Edge. The game's typically end by there, but if it goes beyond I'll go for Bloodthirsters and the like.

I highly suggest getting Malady as early as possible, the attack speed bonus with attack speed (and the extra damage when attacking people) is fantastic for Yi, as it allows for possible harassment (if you can time Alpha Strike and hit their champs properly without getting ganked or raped in general).

I'm not a "good" player, but I consider myself decent (I'll have 27-3 games, then have an 11-14 game the next time around), so my advice really isn't going to be of much use, just thought I'd pop my two cents in since Yi was my favorite champion for quite some time.

doop

04-10-2010

Ignoring the poor grammar, spelling, and capitalization, this guide is just bad. After watching your videos, you're obviously still in the low ELO bracket, if not noobie island. Your kill montage was almost entirely clips of your opponents standing and meleeing you with little coordination or skill.

Yi is not a competitive hero, especially when Jax and Pantheon are options. Regardless, if you still want to play him, you should focus on dealing with his less than spectacular early and mid game, especially on twisted treeline. A suggested build off the top of my head would be something like this:

Runes:
Red: ArP
Yellow: Mp5 per level
Blue: Cdr
Quints: Flat hp or ms

Masteries:
21/9/0, not positive though. he's so squishy that going x/21/x might outweight going straight aggro.

Spells:
Cleanse for sure
Flash/Exhaust/Ghost/Smite (if jungling)

Laning:
Start: Dorans Shield + health pot or fort elixer + health pots
1st trip: boots, start brutalizer
2nd trip: finish brutalizer, start phage
3rd trip: finish phage

from there on, buy a bf sword and make it into a bloodthirster/inf edge depending the feasibility of finishing the inf edge

Jungling:
Start: cloth armor + max health pots or elixer + health pots
1st trip: finish madreds razors, get boots if possible
2nd trip: get boots if you haven't yet, start phage
3rd finish: finish phage, get pickaxe

from there finish bloodrazor and curve out

YoGaming2k10

04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praedoran View Post
I disagree with your lane opinions. Solo top is riskier but with competent map awareness and calls for MIAs, Yi can hit up quick jungles for great xp and gold in between waves. I do this with Udyr and it works great. Most other champs aren't capable of jungling as quick as Udyr and Yi, but until Yi can overcome his Mana Issues (with items, masteries or runes) he's going to be limited in his growth.

Cleanse is a must for Yi, with the secondary being up for grabs. Smite will help you grab runes quicker and suppliment your gold, Flash is a useful escape button (Yi's without Flash are often the first targets in my games), Clarity solves a lot of mana issues early game, and Ghost is useful for the run speed / escape power.

Yi does not dominate lanes, but he's an excellent jungler. You have to use this to your advantage else you will flounder in a solo lane against a competent opponent.
I agree with alot of what you say, Infact im going to try soloing top lane as soon as the game gets back up. Ill try a match using everything you've said and report back, do you mind if i quote this post in my guide if it goes well?

Praedoran

04-10-2010

Don't mind one bit. I'm actually very curious about how well Yi can do in TT, but most people are too apprehensive to try him. I myself might do practice games for fun with him against friends, but only play Udyr on TT/Karthus on SR in rated matches.

YoGaming2k10

04-10-2010

Ive just spend about 40 mins editing the guide pressed submit and i dont think it even submitted... Im gonna be so annoyed if it didnt save it = (

Leirkov

04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praedoran View Post
Don't mind one bit. I'm actually very curious about how well Yi can do in TT, but most people are too apprehensive to try him. I myself might do practice games for fun with him against friends, but only play Udyr on TT/Karthus on SR in rated matches.
I've had a fair amount of success with Yi in TT. If you can coordinate with your team well, he's a pretty good monster. Like most people know, he's an amazing jungler, and with the insane amount of buffs available to you in 3v3, it's pretty hard for you to NOT take advantage of the buffs.

Most of the time you're not going to have those super amazing 20 kill games, but I can guarantee someone that can play Yi strategically will get about 13 kills or so.