Clicking Pardon. When should I ever do it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wrosgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Now I know we are mostly getting games that are clearly punish cases while Riot works on the Tribunal, but those aren't the only cases. I've gotten cases where it's only 1 or 2 games, more often then not it's a report of the player being afk/leaving, but all I see in the chat log is maybe one person said a single sentence and that's it! It's completely empty otherwise.

Some say to pardon because you have no proof of the deed, but then you weigh the thought that a lot of people just click punish and you want to get your small amount of IP as well as be considered correct according to Riot database. Not only that, but you are told that pardon means to get rid of all actions, while Punish could be for the smallest detail, or the most abusive player because as a judge in the tribunal you don't have the choice of severity of punishment, you just have punish or pardon (or skip).

Then I take into consideration how typical court cases in the real world work, and that you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt against what the accusation is given before you. I don't see any incriminating evidence either way, so does that mean that I lack evidence to pardon, or that I lack evidence to punish?

So with all the concerns put forward, what should I vote in these situations? I'd like to pardon people if they haven't done anything, but I don't have any proof that they did or didn't do anything... and I may end up hurting myself if I try to do the right thing, but then am I doing the right thing?

Kittyrina

06-28-2011

You're overthinking it. You should vote on whether you think from the case presented to you they are guilty or not. If it's too close for you to call definitively one way or the other, you should Skip the case.

The 5 IP and the "what will everyone else vote?" should not really factor into it. Chances are, if you're doubtful whether he will be punished or not, the pardon is the "correct" vote anyways.

There's a lot of talk that "a lot of people just click punish", but the devs have said that the tribunal results are actually more lenient on the pardoning than they would like. This indicates that the "punish everyone" crowd is either too small to make much difference, or that the system can account for and reduce the relevancy of their votes.

Darmon

06-28-2011

I usually skip a lot of cases, even though its violently stupid that skips count towards your case load. Im actually wondering if I should start deciding to punish/pardon even if I'd rather not, just so that something will come of my 10 cases. I mean, if I were to get 10 cases I didnt feel comfortable with, should I skip all of them and have no impact at all? Riot really needs to address this in a more practical fashion.