@Riot: Case #57574

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreampod

06-28-2011

I'm not sure what to do with this guy. It is pretty obvious that he none of the three reports on this guy are actually things he did that violated the summoners code. On the other hand it is equally obvious that he is queueing as a group with those other people (and I use the term loosely) deliberately and should be well aware of their horrific behaviour (at least after the first time). Is it reasonable to punish for facilitating horrific behaviour even if they are not actually the ones who are ruining the game directly?

My suspicion is that this is a non-smurf account that the others are using to inflate their Elo in order to access more victims and thus the 'good behaviour' is an attempt to avoid being punished along with his smurf buddies when they get what is coming.

The names and behaviour of his buddies is the most flagrant and offensive I've seen thus far in the tribunal (or in game) by a significant margin. The severity and their complete lack of concern about punishment due to using unpaid smurf accounts merits more significant measures than usual. In addition to the permanent ban these accounts receive I think you should try comparing the collected IP and MAC addresses of these players and banning their 'real' accounts and possibly implementing a full IP ban (assuming it isn't a shared IP) to prevent them from doing this sort of thing again.

Aametherar

06-28-2011

IP bans are out of the question, just gonna put that out there right now.

VvlJbKLuRTmQ2kRT

06-28-2011

Banning IP can get a whole sub-network banned (for example a small internet cafe, seen it in CS). Not an option.

Dreampod

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
IP bans are out of the question, just gonna put that out there right now.
I disagree and Riot does as well since they've used them in the past.

Obviously you can't just ban the IP address without taking any other steps. You check whether there are other accounts that have used that IP in the past and whether they have ever been active concurrently. You contact the ISP associated with the IP and ask them whether it is associated with a business customer or educational institution. You remove the IP block after a moderate amount of time (enough that they have stopped checking) so that it doesn't catch someone else if it gets cycled back into the pool. Then you prepare to deal with emails from players who can't log in if somehow you made a mistake.

It is a lot of work to do right and not something to be done lightly but absolutely must remain a option for managing any online service.