Support Soraka w/ a good harasser/good killer (Vayne, GP, Veigar, Yi, etc.)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Recnik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Hey guys, I wrote up this guide to show a quick rundown of how I play Soraka, I get a lot of props in solo queue so I thought I'd share.
MOBAFIRE: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...t-healer-98698

Quick vocab refrence:
MR = Magic Resistance
AP = Ability Power
MP5 = Mana Per 5
AE/AoE = Area of Effect spells
CC = Crowd Control (Silence, Stun, Snare, Knock-Up, Suppress, etc.)

Soraka isn't voted the easiest support champ for beginners (darn you Sona), but once you get it down, she is GREAT at keeping lanemembers alive and shutting off harrassers.
I lane with my friend, who plays as Gangplank, an all-in-one who can 2-shot any champ early game.

Items

Mana Manipulator*>Merc Treads (I use Ionian)>Getting lots of assists? Get a Mejai's Otherwise get a Philosopher's Stone>Soul Shroud>Rod of Ages>Situational from here on** but I grab a Rabadon's and the game usually ends before I can get anything else, if you get the money, investing in more ap cant hurt, even if it just means Needlessly Large Rods.

Final Itemset should look something like this:
Soul Shroud, <> Boots, Mejai's Soulstealer, Rod of Ages, Rabadon's Deathcap, <Item dependent on the game>.
This takes around 15k-18k gold, and this shouldn't be too difficult to get if you get your philosopher's stone early and farm a lot in the downtime late game with starcall.

*If you have all MP5 runes you can get an Amplifying Tome and grab your Mejai's sooner.
**Situational being, if they focus you, build some MR or Armor depending on what they're team comp is like. Items like Guardian Angel and others that give MR and Armor are nice to have if their team is balanced.

Skill Order

W-E-W-E-W-R-Q-W-E-W-R-E-E-Q-Q-R-Q-Q

Keep in mind, this is how I play, and if you think grabbing more points in starcall with benefit you better, by all means get them. Don't angrily post here about "what I did wrong." This is the way, I, play

Masteries
(It goes point-by-point, so you know what to get if you aren't level 30.)

Utility
Perservearance 3/3
Haste 1/1

Awareness 4/4
Expanded Mind 2/4

Meditation 3/3

Quickness 3/3

Inteligence 3/3
Mystical Vision 1/1

Presence of the Master 1/1

Expanded Mind 4/4

Defensive
Resistance 3/3
Hardiness 3/3

Offensive
Archmage's Savvy 1/3

Summoner Spells.

I run Ghost and Clairvoyance, as it's the most recommended by vote.
Another top combination is Ghost Heal for more AoE healing in teamfights.

Laning Phase

Always heal when your partner is taking damage and don't be afraid to auto-attack. It can actually score you kills when your partner just misses something. Keep in mind, yes, infuse gives you 2x the amount of mana it restores to allies, but you can replinish your allies' mana source and give yourself the same amount.
If your ally is a champion who isn't very strong at clearing out lanes, don't be afraid to grab starcall. That is, as long as your ally isn't getting a spear shoved up his butt.
Be weary of your allies' health levels! Wish can be a powerful help in stopping a CCless gank or just in helping an ally in general, it can even get you cross-map assists and rack up Mejai's stacks. (Although I do NOT condone any deaths caused by unavailable wishes, you have to play smart to get assists.)

Teamfighting

Infuse is great for shutting down powerful ultimates, silencing Katarina or Nunu during ulti saves you the trouble of spending time to heal your allies back up or even saves you from wasting a wish.
Wish is a great counter to Karthus' Ult, Nunu's Ult, etc. when they don't get inturrupted, but be alert of powerful AE effects and use it right.
Once you are built with over 450 AP, its time to start dishing out damage, Infuse becomes a kick in the nads, that just comes along with a silence, and Starcall becomes a MR reducing hellstorm. Build some health, maybe a thornmail, jump in there, and use your spells like a boss.

Any questions about my Build, Playstyle, or Soraka herself can be posted here and I will do my best to answer them often.

Feel free to critique my guide, and tell me if you think something should be changed, everybody has things to learn still. Just don't come on here and rage. Nobody wants to hear it.

Thanks for reading my guide, and have fun being the secondmost annoying thing in the entire game!

See you on the Fields of Justice!
-Sacred

EDIT: 7/8/11. Added Mobafire Link!

C0ldN00b

06-28-2011

i feel you need at least 1 gold item when playing as a support, because you shouldnt be taking a lot of CS from the lane. as for mejais, stacks are easy to earn but i feel that as a support, you should be prepared to die for the team sometimes (baiting, offtanking, rescuing, etc...), and a mejai's actually gives you that "I MUSN'T DIE!!" mentality. granted, it is a cheap source of AP but well, i personally don't like it on a support.

Recnik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

I usually don't steal a lot of CS, but I average around 9-11 assists in the first 10 minutes, so gold is rarely a problem for me, but I'll look at it some more and put one in, thanks for your input. I didn't think about the fact that some players may not be playing with assassins.

If you do look though, I did say Mejai's is only worth it if you can get 5 stacks. And dying with it is usually not a problem in a teamfight because at low elos and low levels, teamfights stack into one area, so one starcall garuntees you an assist for every kill your team gets, so a succsessful teamfight = 4 or 5 assists.

Omnissions

06-28-2011

Is Clarity really that helpful on soraka? I just started playing her recently, and I am running no mana regen runes at all, and mana is not a problem for me. I usually go W-E-E-W and then it depends on the lane. I run CV instead of Clarity, to mess up the enemy jungler, check for incoming ganks, check for dragons, etc.

Also, I'm not sure what your elo is or how much you have played, but once you get high enough, make sure to buy wards. Soraka is a support, it is her job to buy wards, let your carries finish their builds, you grab wards for at least dragon and baron, if not more. Also, you said you use starcall to gain assists in fights, that puts your way to close to the enemy team. It's a lot easier to focus you when you are in the middle of the fight rather than behind your team. Soraka is also a decent carrier of oracles as well, if the other team has teemo, twitch, or if they are just laying down a lot of wards. Soraka should NOT be dying, stay behind your teammates, and you always have flash or ghost if they do decide to rambo to you.

Recnik

06-28-2011

I'm not even into ranked yet. This guide is very obviously not oriented to the high-elo player, or even level 30 player.

As far as keeping Clarity over CV, Clarity is a good way to get breathing room, like when you have to use infuse for silencing. Theres been too many times in teamfights where Infuse has 8+ seconds to go and I'm at 0 mana with two heals ready to go---but wait, I have no mana, and they're engaging again.... *Clarity* *Heal*
But if at high elo CV is absolutely necessary, go for it.

As far as starcalling, I revised the part about running in, but keep in mind, the fight IS going to pull you in range sooner or later. And during an enemy retreat, Soraka can do a good clean MR reduc with some pretty med-high damage.

JefferyReed

06-28-2011

clair + heal + Ap + merc treads
i carry oracle + wards

i dont bother with star untill my other abilities are maxed

i do pretty well like that and i am always abled to out heal the damage in my lane on my partner. As long as we dont lose focus and get ganked.

Lorifel

06-28-2011

As for getting in range for Starcall I've tried an offtank/CDR Soraka. Got the idea from this giude: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...=1#post3662926

With maxed CDR, enough EHP and your heals you can dance at the front line constantly debuffing enemy MR and baiting them into chasing you. Also you are always in range to interrupt nusty channels like Kat's Ulti. I've tried it and it worked.

iP1ayJarvan

06-28-2011

with the buff to astral blessing, a RoA is all you need to offtank a lot of them rightclick champs now, and passive+masteries+runes and merc treads gives you perfect early game MR to screw up most mages in their prime (early-mid game). tank soraka is perfectly viable, and even possible to build some AP with.

As for clarity on soraka, i discourage it. mana probs can be easily solved by good management of mana and some cheap items called mana potions, or even better, mp5/level yellows. Your lanemate should not be getting harassed to that extent that you have to spam heal him and drain your mana, this is the kind of mentality i hate from people who lane with me, that they can be extra reckless, soak up those 2 nukes for that 1 minion because you can heal them. the clarity can be replaced for a more useful spell like CV or another escape like cleanse/flash/ghost.

edit: for lane harass, your slow bananas and infuse are much more effective than draining mana to starcall them. I've been trying out some crazy things, and i've had some good results starting off with a dorran's blade and AD marks. (dont build anymore damage than that though)

Recnik

06-28-2011

Well, heres the thing, @Everyone saying you're out of range, you have to be in range in order to use silence, so while running back behind your team, why not drop their MR 16-24 points, and do some damage while you're at it?

OJ191

06-28-2011

I personally don't play as her a "traditional" support I build her as you would any mage or nuker minus the mpen (and use that slot to get additional defense or else more ap if I'm not dying) because she has such good ratio's on her heals. Max CDR and her W has a 6 second cooldown, and my build often has it healing for up to 800!

Usual build: Rod of ages, CDR boots, morello's tome, deathcap, Banshee veil (or more ap if not dying), if I get gold early from kills/assists tear into AA staff otherwise something like abyssal sceptre, will of the ancients or guardian angel. The whole purpose is to keep my carries alive through heals rather than through off-tanking, while using the heal on myself if i get focuses by AD carries for the armour buff. When you have wish healing your team from like 1/4 hp to nearly full (Except your tank of course) it tends to scare the enemy team :P

Downsides: requires good positioning and a non-******ed team (ie when people run away from the healer instead of to you).