In my opinion, the entire Tribunal system is broken

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necromorpher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-27-2011

Let me start out by saying I am temporarily suspended for three days. I only want to say that because I'd rather it be out in the open than have people trolling this topic with replies like, "You're just butthurt" or something to that effect.

I truly believe this system is completely broken. And not because of the Tribunal itself, but the Summoner's Code. I get it. The code is meant to make players behave, play nice, and give each other a great experience. I try to do that every single game I play. I encourage people, try and help out those that are feeding or doing bad, and often will sacrifice my item build to buy wards and other necessary consumables for the team (or hell, even team support items like Aegis or Stark's).

However, I can't take trolls. I can't take people that come into your game with the expressed reason of doing nothing but make your experience terrible. And my way of retaliating is by venting some frustration to them.

Now, I'm sure I'll see people saying, "Oh well you shouldn't say negative things just report them! I'm the epitome of perfection when it comes to the Summoner's Code I never do that!" but that's just people lying to themselves. Everyone's had bad games (and many at that, if you're level 30 summoner) and have dealt with people that blame other people for their faults, troll, and purposely harm the game.

Now, I could care less if you call me a racial slur. I could care less if you are saying I'm an ass or any other profanity you could think of. What I care about is when you're running down middle lane from the very start of the game to feed the enemy mid.

I can almost guarantee that everyone here will say, "Just report them"...well, sure I'll report them. And I'll encourage others to report. But often times the enemy team will support the person in question because it's working to their advantage. They'll perhaps go even far enough to troll you and make you out to be the one to blame...This is why I think the Summoner's Code is broken.

It insists that throughout 40 minute + games, that you just deal with this level of insanity. And if you afk from the game, you get reported and receive a ban. Now, I've tried to get surrender votes, and most of the time they fail. Why? Because Riot has changed the IP gains to make people want to stay in a game as long as possible to reap the IP benefits.

That is completely unfair to me as a player, to sit through verbal harassment (which is petty and easy to ignore on my part), trolling (which I think is very disruptive), and worse, intentional feeding or assisting the enemy team.

Now, I'm sure I know why I was given the three day ban...I was trash talking to trolls, because they were starting with my team, with me, or just plain old disrupting the game.

I have no shame in saying that when I have three people on my team trying their best, and one jackass that wants to ruin it, that I have to sit idly by and just pretend it's all gravy.

I wouldn't mind it so much if there was honestly a way of kicking that player from the game or something like that (but I know even that would be broken with trolls as well), but the fact of the matter is that I have to spend the better part of an hour with this person while they ruin my game and you expect me to just sit happily at my computer?

That's my concern, and I think it's pretty petty that this whole Tribunal system just looks to see if you used some profane words and then call it harassment.

God forbid I want to curse out the guy that is completely ruining my game. Now like I said, I'm sure the white knights of LoL will appear and try to tell me it's all my fault, that I should be a picture of perfection in games, but I mean, we're only human, and we get angry at people that try to ruin our experiences.

I honestly could not care less if someone is using profanity. I care more about who is purposely feeding the other team. Who is purposely refusing to play because they were mad that they overextended and were ganked. Those are the situations and the people that I believe need to be judged by the Tribunal.

The concept and idea of harassment, as determined by the very vague Summoner's code, means that any show of anger or frustration can be twisted into harassment.

Either way, what this suspension has taught me is this:

I will never again use the chat. I won't call MIAs, I won't say anything. Why? Because I know that no matter what I say or do, I'm going to still play with trolls that are going to just make smurf accounts to troll, or people that simply don't care about their account like I do. I know I'm going to get very angry and frustrated by this. And yes, I'm going to try to keep myself calm and in check...But after four games where you have trolls and feedings, I know I'm going to want to type to that person. And I won't.

I won't say a word. Not to my teammates, not anything helpful. Because I know in the end no matter what, my words can be twisted through the Tribunal to make me out to be an "ass".

I don't go into games harassing people. I go into games, and when I'm harassed by trolls, I vent my anger and frustration. I think many people will agree with me, and it's just too bad that not enough of them frequent the Tribunal forums to see it.

This system is broken, and we all know it. I gladly accept my suspension as a result of my trash talking, but I know that in the same respect, it was not unprovoked or undeserved by those that I did it to, and I think that it's pretty messed up to expect everyone to sit pretty while trolls continue to make people more angry because they know that if the person retaliates, this happens to them.

CJGoomba

06-27-2011

Zileas disagrees with you along with several other riot employees. Since it's their company I'll take their word over your opinion any day.

Zileas even goes as far as to say, "Tribunal is very lenient, more so than we expected."

Therefore, enjoy your ban. System Working As Intended.

Kaedan

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromorpher View Post

Either way, what this suspension has taught me is this:

I will never again use the chat. I won't call MIAs, I won't say anything. Why? Because I know that no matter what I say or do, I'm going to still play with trolls that are going to just make smurf accounts to troll, or people that simply don't care about their account like I do. I know I'm going to get very angry and frustrated by this. And yes, I'm going to try to keep myself calm and in check...But after four games where you have trolls and feedings, I know I'm going to want to type to that person. And I won't.

I won't say a word. Not to my teammates, not anything helpful. Because I know in the end no matter what, my words can be twisted through the Tribunal to make me out to be an "ass".

I was almost going to agree with you on some points, but this has pretty much invalidated your thread for me.

By deciding to do this, you have just become what you claim to hate. You have become a troll.

Why is it so hard for people just to ignore trolls? I had a game yesterday where we had a Udyr and a WW on our team and they did nothing but buy tiamats, run straight into towers and intentionally feed over and over. You know what I did? I played the game. I didn't say anything to them in chat and I didn't respond to anything they said. But I still communicated with my other teammates that weren't trolling.

CJGoomba

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
I was almost going to agree with you on some points, but this has pretty much invalidated your thread for me.

By deciding to do this, you have just become what you claim to hate. You have become a troll.

Why is it so hard for people just to ignore trolls? I had a game yesterday where we had a Udyr and a WW on our team and they did nothing but buy tiamats, run straight into towers and intentionally feed over and over. You know what I did? I played the game. I didn't say anything to them in chat and I didn't respond to anything they said. But I still communicated with my other teammates that weren't trolling.
But-But-But... It's hard to act like an adult when I can just flame in chat!! /sadface

Mísanthropic

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGoomba View Post
Zileas disagrees with you along with several other riot employees. Since it's their company I'll take their word over your opinion any day.

Zileas even goes as far as to say, "Tribunal is very lenient, more so than we expected."

Therefore, enjoy your ban. System Working As Intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGoomba View Post
But-But-But... It's hard to act like an adult when I can just flame in chat!! /sadface
...and Riot supports these *ssh*l*s? /sadface

Akabadaz

06-27-2011

Agree with op, I play to win. Which is why I play ranked. In normal, i don't care so much even though i still do everything i can to win but won't go out of my way to try to fix someone else's play style. In ranked, these trollers/afk/leavers/feeders/ people that just sit there typing instead of trying to play better ruin mine and the majority of competitive players game play. Just watch any professional players stream. They either flame or refuse to use chat but you can still hear them on the mic.

It's part of being a gamer to try to win and help your team and be frustrated when they refuse to cooperate or try well. If someone is just bad but i can tell they are trying and listening I will not say anything bad but continue to help them. However, i find it unacceptable that when they simply do their best to assist the enemy team.

Anyways bottom line is this reporting / banning system is ridiculous. If you look at the list everyone should be reported a majority of the games and sadly the community is following as it makes them feel better.

As it is wrong to just criticize something without offering a solution (besides fixing the banning system to just stop feeders, not cooperating, and afk/leavers): Very simple, have different game modes (this is how they do it on console games).

Ranked. should only be for competitive gamers and ranking should be by skill not by random placement of who got carried randomly and didn't have bad players on their team.
Family FUN NO flaming aloud, people play however they want and there is no ranking system in this mode (normal mode). People that curse are insta-kicked from the game even though there is a filter and a ignore mute function perhaps this mode is for people under 15 without parental supervision or simply for people that are not competitive but still want to game.

Necromorpher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-27-2011

I expected all of this. I expected the white knights to tell me how I'm completely at fault, yadda yadda yadda

I am not going to say anything anymore in chat. I'm not trolling by not communicating. I'm protecting myself from anything that may be seen as offensive.

"Why is it so hard for people just to ignore trolls? I had a game yesterday where we had a Udyr and a WW on our team and they did nothing but buy tiamats, run straight into towers and intentionally feed over and over. You know what I did? I played the game. I didn't say anything to them in chat and I didn't respond to anything they said. But I still communicated with my other teammates that weren't trolling."

It isn't hard to ignore trolls. What is hard is to ignore the outcome of trolls, like fed enemy champions, pushed lanes, and allies that give up as a result of it.

I also find it amusing to say that just because Riot employees hold X opinion, that said opinion is right. Yes, it is their game. Yes, they have control over the ultimate outcome, but just like any other human being, they can also be dealing with things in the wrong manner.

Furthermore, comments like this: "Therefore, enjoy your ban. System Working As Intended." are nothing more than pure trolling. This guy basically just said, "Riot employees hold this opinion, so haha enjoy your ban!" and ultimately are rubbing it in my face without having a real discussion about why the Riot employees have this train of thought...I also, just now in an edit, saw your other post CJGoomba, where you are clearly just absolutely trolling now:

"But-But-But... It's hard to act like an adult when I can just flame in chat!! /sadface"

To be honest, it becomes more than hard to "act like an adult" when you are trying to play a competitive game and are consistently being faced with these sorts of players. Besides, what is it that you consider acting like an adult? Being so utmost courteous at all times? I don't understand why there are ignore functions and profanity filters if we are just going to ban people for using their discretion on how they vent frustration at players that are ruining their game.

And to be honest, I don't flame the chat. I don't spam it. I don't type in caps. What I do is what some people call "calling out"...Disagree with it all you want, but I don't see people in any other game being banned because they are angry at trolls. In fact, I see the game developers taking action by removing said trolls from the game.

But as I noted, I knew from my OP that people like you were going to hop into it and instead of creating a proper discussion, you immediately stereotype my actions and troll...Good job being a role model in the forums.

That's just as bad as people telling you to uninstall for doing poorly. If you object to my thread, I invite you to give me your thoughts and opinions, not to just troll my thread, which is honestly 99% of the replies I see in the Tribunal threads.

Like I said before, I accept my suspension. It actually gives me some time to just level up my alternate account. But I also think that the way the Tribunal operates, aka out of the Summoner's Code, is broken.

You can say it's lenient, but only for things like "unskilled player", "intentional feeding", and other reports that you can't really tell what the player was doing without having been in the game.

bledwhite

06-28-2011

It's hard to take you seriously when the overt intention in your post (given how defensive you sound) is to find some sort of validation or vindication of your position and actions.

Unfortunately you are not going to get it. Just because they might POSSIBLY be some flaws in the system doesn't mean that your actions are anymore correct. I also like how you systematically deny the existence of the 3293813901 people for whom the tribunal work (you know, the majority of the players, who don't use the forums) properly. That just automatically removes any modicum of credibility you might have had to begin with.

Bottomline: Tribunal is fine. Even if it isn't, doesn't make it correct for you to knowingly flout the summoner's code. Next time you want some sort of vindication, don't start by calling people trolls. Not the best way to get people to be on your side.

Cheers.