Court of Public Opinion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malachi Nnelg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnrunner View Post
There is a lot of angst against the Tribunal system along with claims of it being a failure and inadequate.
those are the people that got banned that have not been banned before for their breaking of the rules and are now crying about it because they cannot get away with it

LawGiver500

06-28-2011

To the OP:
Tribunal is a peer based system that helps Riot assess how the community views a players actions in conjunction with the summoners code. This is due to the grey areas of social acceptance like verbal abuse that can vary.

The Tribunal is less like the Salem witch trials and more like the Open floor court of Rome, but with tribunal the evidence of guilt can be established. The game records are not composed of 100% hearsay and conjecture as your argument states however the reporters comments are. They work as statements for the reporter to justify the report as they see fit and hold bias as such.

The lack of accountability for false reports is a flaw however being to heavy handed will cause people to not report at all. That is why the pardon button is in the tribunal at any time if a person thinks the reports of a player are unwarrented they have the option and right to hit pardon. This in effect lets the Riot staff see how the community at large see the the actions of the person.

Dawnrunner

06-28-2011

However the assumption relies also that this 'evidence' being the reports isn't manufactured as well. I have spoken to people and friends who play the game that will set up others on their team or enemies to spam, to look like horrible teammates. I was in a game once where an individual was amongst every team fight but after the fight the allies would spam about them being in the jungle and not team playing. I was confused as to why until after the game when in post chat they stated if I didn't report this individual with them they'd report me.

It isn't that there's no evidence, it's that it is selected evidence.

As for what to do with reporting, there are two solutions in my post. Consequences for spammed, nonconfirmed reporting (as in punish those who report everyone for everything because it's how they cope with their rage) and also offer a postive report system, a kudos system, to signify players who are a benefit to the community.

As an aside: I'm not, haven't been, nor intend to be, banned. I'm just a player who uses the tribunal system but approaches it from the mentality of innocent until proven guilty, and often I see the guilt astoundingly clear which made me question why I only get to see the moments of crime without a lot of context.

Malachi Nnelg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnrunner View Post
I was confused as to why until after the game when in post chat they stated if I didn't report this individual with them they'd report me.
easy solution to that, if they tell you to report, say you did but never touch the button, that way you don't get stupid reports, then you don't give a false one, and then the other guys get their satisfaction for thinking you reported. everyone wins

Lineov

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus In A Speedo View Post
I'm offended by all of your words, because where I come from, every word in the english dictionary is a curse word in our language... because I'm from "Freeip", a city located in the Country of "Iwanna Banunao". I ride the Punishcle to work every mourning, and my favorite game is "Witch hunt". Some say I have a hideously malevolent laughter, but that is not so.

/reported!
Zeus, sometimes you make me rofl. Soda up the nose at work is a rare occurrence for me.

luukkaah

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnrunner
That's what this post is about, Reporting is what is flawed, not the tribunal.
Agree

Tori Niku Sushi

06-28-2011

This is like willful ignorance. You've been told hundreds of times that a majority of punishment verdicts from players will only send your case to a Riot employee.

The only automatic punishment you receive is the 20 minute ban + warning, or something like that. Cooler heads review and decide your cases.

Enjoy your ban, Dawnrunner

Dawnrunner

06-28-2011

Apparently reading is a bit obtuse for some folks. I'm not banned, I don't do things to warrant bans... I actually participate actively in tribunal and simply see the issues presented in it. But hey, reading is for chumps.

Aside from that fact I like how in the responses only two people have acknoweldged the core issue. Not Tribunal but the Reporting system. It doesn't matter if Riot looks at every case themselves or the Tribunal exists, the Reporting needs fixing to include consequences for repeated false reporting and a method to positively report or acknowledge productive players who contribute to the overall community in game. Simple as that, a method to counteract. As it stands present you can rage report whoever you want without any incentive not to do it.

VvlJbKLuRTmQ2kRT

06-28-2011

Problem is, the witches are being hunted, but the hunters are witches themselves (trolls who report for anything and then insta-punish in Tribunal).

TPOTK1NG

06-28-2011

In the opposite hand reporting is flawed on the fact people should report yet dont. I reviewed a case today where the person being reported told a person to kill their self, and sadly there were only 3 reports against the person. While it is true reports do get sent in that make no sense like harassment, feeding and such when it isnt true, the lack of reports is almost as horrendous.