Remove IP from Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Herpes Clown

06-27-2011

What do you all think about this? Not saying I support it (I'm undecided myself), but I can definitely understand the argument.

A big (if not the biggest) problem with the Tribunal is that a lot of people don't even read the cases and just smash the Punish button, since all they want is their free IP and most of the cases presented actually are punishable offenses (repeated leaving, intentional feeding, etc.). Removing the IP reward would discourage this.

There will still be trolls, people who'll smash the punish button even if they're not getting rewarded for it--but the majority of the problematic contributors, the ones who are just looking for quick and easy IP so they can get to 6300 faster, would be turned away by this.

However, it also might turn away too many people. The point of the Tribunal is to filter down the amount of report cases that make it to the Riot staff by sharing the burden with the player community. In order to do this, the Tribunal needs us to participate (it needs a lot of people voting to obtain more solid consensuses), and in order to do that, it gives free IP. If the Tribunal doesn't have a lot of people voting in it, its original purpose is kind of thwarted.

Best Janna NA

06-27-2011

They should give you ip either way, if you vote no or yes, it should not matter.

doav7x

06-27-2011

The only people that stop using the tribunal are the ones that don't care about the outcome, just want the ip. If people get mad and stop judging cases because they lose their ip bonus, good riddance.

The Herpes Clown

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
They should give you ip either way, if you vote no or yes, it should not matter.
This wouldn't help the problem at all. The point I'm making is that people don't read the case and just vote Punish because it's what will most often net them their IP. In fact, this would make things worse.

CJGoomba

06-27-2011

If someone is banned from the tribunal, its not because of trolls. Its because said person had ten reports on them and it was decided in the majority to punish. There is no doubt about their being trolls, but the %.of people just clicking punish is far smaller than the % who read everything before they decide.

These ip threads are old and uninformed.
System working as intended.

Graogg

06-27-2011

The trouble with removing IP is that it will remove reviewers who legitimately review cases fairly, but only feel its worth their time if they get a little something out of it. Basically, what doav7x is saying is that if someone won't work as a janitor at a theme park for FREE then they shouldn't be working as a janitor at all.

Removing the IP would only remove the people that auto-punish to farm IP, but not the trolls or ragers. It would also add more inaccuracy to the cases since there would be lower statistical confidence with a lower number of reviewers. For a better idea on removing IP farmers/ragers/trolls take a look at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=899836

Best Janna NA

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGoomba View Post
If someone is banned from the tribunal, its not because of trolls. Its because said person had ten reports on them and it was decided in the majority to punish. There is no doubt about their being trolls, but the %.of people just clicking punish is far smaller than the % who read everything before they decide.

These ip threads are old and uninformed.
System working as intended.
You're right, it's working as intended, but it's broken.

Graogg

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
You're right, it's working as intended, but it's broken.
Open to abuse might be a better term for it. They just need to tweak it a little bit to make it a much more dependable tool.

doav7x

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graogg View Post
The trouble with removing IP is that it will remove reviewers who legitimately review cases fairly, but only feel its worth their time if they get a little something out of it. Basically, what doav7x is saying is that if someone won't work as a janitor at a theme park for FREE then they shouldn't be working as a janitor at all.

Removing the IP would only remove the people that auto-punish to farm IP, but not the trolls or ragers. It would also add more inaccuracy to the cases since there would be lower statistical confidence with a lower number of reviewers. For a better idea on removing IP farmers/ragers/trolls take a look at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=899836
I see your point, I had assumed that many of the trolls wanted something for it, but I forgot they are trolls, and we all know what trolls do. However, I am sure there are some decent people out there doing the tribunal just to help this community, although not everyone who isn't trolling has that mindset I'm sure.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

06-27-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Your hypothesis is that people are being wrongly motivated and are making bad decisions...

Well, you will be happy to know that this isn't the case. We have been validating results -- both people who were pardoned and those punished, and are very confident that things are fair. If anything, the tribunal results are too lenient.

- Zileas