@ Riot - Different approach to "tribunal"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Litral

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzer View Post
i should just have wrote OMG NERF TRBUNAL ITS SO UNFAIR QQ RIOT SUCks
then I have 16 pages of replies and +5millions votes..
In my experience that would get you 2 replies saying "u mad" and -11 votes, then closed thread.

I don't think anyone would want a reputation system. The thing is, you know that tons of people are going to -1 that player who they find annoying just because they gloated or something. Gloating is not against the summoner's code, it's not wrong, it just annoys the people you defeated because it makes them butthurt. And there's no easy system that automatically says "your -1 is wrong, it's not counted" (you could devise one but that just adds even more complication).

You've probably seen that case in the tribunal where the only thing someone said the entire game was "lol easier than bots" after victory and all of the 5 enemies reported him for offensive language/verbal abuse. The same enemies would -1 this guy for the reputation system.

There's probably lots of other behavior (e.g. just having a bad game, or being a bit bossy) that would get you -1 reputation while you didn't break the code at all.

And people could just -1 everyone they see because they want everyone else to be punished. You know there are people like that, this is the internet.

The opposite could be true too - a tight knot of people (e.g. high elos, who often face each other) will just +1 each other for no reason every time they play just so they get the rewards.

noobynoob

06-28-2011

Too Long; Didnt Read it

inorialas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2011

Post really needs a TL;DR. Also, I am not a fan of a voting system at the end of the game.

Kezzer

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghealer View Post
An honest response:

In theory, your idea is good.

In reality, it wouldn't work.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of people these days do not remember positive things about a person. Pick any ten magazines: I can almost guarantee that nine of them will either have some sort of incriminating news (Example: Celebrity X cheats on Celebrity Y), or simply not be a magazine that focuses on such topics. It's rare that, in the media, someone is actually praised. The sad thing is, people usually do more good things than bad, but when you ignore all those good things, everyone looks like a complete and total jerk.

The even more unfortunate thing is the overall media influence on society. Because the media negatively criticizes everything they possibly can, society in general follow suit. The community of League of Legends is no exception.

What this means is that you are very unlikely to be given any +1 votes, even if you were the best player on your team and pretty much carried it, while you're very likely to receive plenty of -1s when you just have a bad game.

What I foresee happening if this were to be implemented is everyone having a negative score. True, the real "bads" will have a MORE negative score, but nobody will be positive.

A better solution would be to completely remove the +0 option, and have all votes default to +1. Even this has it's faults, however.
Thanks I like your input.
I think the point of this idea was to see how and if it could be a good idea. Sometimes it means tweaking the original idea to extents.
\
I do agree however with the general perspective of people but I just still have a hard time seeing how the current tribunal does a better overall job. because at the end of the day, people will get reported for all kind of dumb things and it does not take the average of complaints vs. games played into account.

I think your idea to remove +0 is smart

atomicfireball

06-28-2011

I might have actually read you post if you hadn't failed the forum IQ test, you were too dumb to actually post it in the right forum. -1

Kezzer

06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litral View Post
In my experience that would get you 2 replies saying "u mad" and -11 votes, then closed thread.

I don't think anyone would want a reputation system. The thing is, you know that tons of people are going to -1 that player who they find annoying just because they gloated or something. Gloating is not against the summoner's code, it's not wrong, it just annoys the people you defeated because it makes them butthurt. And there's no easy system that automatically says "your -1 is wrong, it's not counted" (you could devise one but that just adds even more complication).

You've probably seen that case in the tribunal where the only thing someone said the entire game was "lol easier than bots" after victory and all of the 5 enemies reported him for offensive language/verbal abuse. The same enemies would -1 this guy for the reputation system.

There's probably lots of other behavior (e.g. just having a bad game, or being a bit bossy) that would get you -1 reputation while you didn't break the code at all.

And people could just -1 everyone they see because they want everyone else to be punished. You know there are people like that, this is the internet.

The opposite could be true too - a tight knot of people (e.g. high elos, who often face each other) will just +1 each other for no reason every time they play just so they get the rewards.
thanks for your input.
Just a reminder that the reputation system is a system that would be based on an overall rating which takes into account the % of the population who would -1 for anything. If we expect the % of people like that to be the majority of people, then how can we feel safe letting the same people handle reporting and voting on tribunal?

Also in regards to your example where someone makes a "easier than bots" comment. he would indeed fully deserve the -1s and hurt his reputation. You played sports in school? You know that being a sore winner is just as bad for your reputation as being a sore loser. As such, the system would work as intended.

the idea is once again not to enforce the code of conduct so much as seperating the bad apples from the good apples. I think at the end of the day, thats what everyone here wants. Everyone is sick and tired to have to deal with the sore losers, the sore winners and the people who just troll and dont care about the game and this system would help tag these people because there is just no other way to really do that without lots of collateral damage along the way.

Akesgeroth

06-28-2011

Or they could actually put on their pants and do the following:

Ban people who file frivolous reports
Remove tribunal rights from people who punish players that are obviously innocent

GhostOfKarma

06-28-2011

Yeah, people get mad at me all the time from the other team. Sorry but I play to win. If you have a problem with me all-chatting "Hey maybe with some skills you might have won that one.", well, good for me, I'm now facing a pissed off opponent who I already have a kill advantage on, making it easier for me to increase that advantage.

Sore winner, sore loser, in the end the only thing that really matters to your game is falling on right side of the line that separates the winners from the losers. There is no such thing as a participation prize, if you lose, you get a loss, not a "well played, maybe next game" on your record.