"Is this worth reporting?": Some Guidelines

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frank the Golem

06-27-2011

What counts as "verbal abuse"? What is "offensive language"? How can I tell if somebody is "intentionally feeding" or just bad?

Let's look at some examples and see if some guidelines might help you in your quest for justice, as well as to stop wasting the Tribunal's time.

Verbal Abuse
Reported Player [05:42:13]: please dont suck
Reported Player [05:42:13]: viegar
Reported Player [05:42:20]: dont f***ing suck
ally1 [05:42:20]: hold on my internet
ally2 [05:42:21]: i go ry
Reported Player [05:42:29]: don't f***ing suck
Reported Player [05:42:36]: you're gonna solo vs urgot
Reported Player [05:42:39]: you f***ing hear me
Reported Player [05:42:40]: fa****
Reported Player [05:42:49]: you f***ing hear me you fa****
Reported Player [05:42:55]: or i will troll this whole game
Reported Player [05:42:57]: you f***ing idiot.
Reported Player [05:43:05]: thats right you f***ing p****

All that within 60 seconds of the game starting? Without provocation? Yes, that's verbal abuse.

Not Verbal Abuse

Reported Player 1 [All] [11:24:49]: nubz
Reported Player 2 [19:53:02]: TF sux
Reported Player 3 [All] [07:28:33]: bg scrubs

...that's it? You reported a player for THAT?? Sorry if that offended your delicate sensibilities, but get over it already.

Offensive Language
racial slurs
vulgar remarks against someone's sexuality or gender
excessive profanity after you have been clearly asked to stop

I don't care if you talk this way with your friends; your unknown teammates are not your friends. You might as well be playing with identical robots with varying skill programming.
If your focus is on offending your allies or enemies in chat, then you're not focused on playing the game. Trash-talk stops being so effective once you leave the 3-digit Elo bracket.

Not Offensive Language
noob
scrubs
nubz
u suk

These are the internet equivalent of playground insults. If you can't handle this, perhaps you should find another playground. One without any other kids playing in it.
Grow up already.

Intentionally Feeding
Vlad - 0/39/0, 2 minion kills, champion level 3, time played 15min - damage dealt/second = 4, damage taken/second = 19
Lee Sin
- 0/23/2, 7 minion kills, champion level 7, time played 24min - damage dealt/second = 9, damage taken/second = 15, six Regrowth Pendants
Sion - 0/21/0, 0 minion kills, champion level 5, time played 36min - damage dealt/second = 1, damage taken/second = 9, six pairs of Boots1

The items will frequently help you decide this. Six boots? Stacking Zeals and not even getting minion kills? It's intentional.

Not Intentionally Feeding
Ashe - 2/6/8, 138 minion kills, champion level 16, time played 28min - damage dealt/second = 26, damage taken/second = 11
Kog'Maw - 1/7/1, 59 minion kills, champion level 11, time played 31min - damage dealt/second = 22, damage taken/second = 6, asked for help as first-time Kog
Mordekaiser - 4/3/7, 105 minion kills, champion level 17, time played 55min - damage dealt/second = 24, damage taken/second = 8, (also, game outcome = Win)

The "damage dealt vs damage taken" comparison is a good one here because your "damage dealt" includes damage to minions.
I have never, ever, ever seen someone take more damage than they dealt without actively trying to feed.

To review:
It's not "verbal abuse" because they got angry at your playstyle twice.
It's not "intentional feeding" because they died more than once, even if they ended up with negative KDA.
It's not "offensive language" because they called you a schoolyard insult.

It's "Verbal Abuse" when they go on an extended rage about you, your playstyle, your build, your mother, your nation of origin, and/or your sexual preference.
It's "Intentional Feeding" when they have a ludicrous number of deaths and take more damage than they deal, especially if they're stacking junk items to do it.
It's "Offensive Language" when it's actually offensive, and when you clearly ask them to stop and they still continue.

Makanga

07-22-2011

Bump.

Thanks for the clarifications.

I feel this should be stickied somewhere.

Methelod

07-22-2011

I agree with this, except for the noob part if you ask them to stop because its not helpful and only derogatory, if its once a while, it is annoying but really doesn't merit a report, if its continued especially if its aimed at one person then it starts to evolve into the verbal abuse category, although in general I agree with this.

LadyLothiriel

07-23-2011

I like this. Very clear structure and the examples help.

However, your focus on what you consider offensive language is oil on the fires of those thinking that a language filter will solve all the problems we have with this game.

Of course, you can use "bad" language to harrass and insult, but you are by no means restricted to its use. The same goes for what you call "playground insults". Calling someone repeatedly "noob" and "you suck" is in no way good for the gameplay experience or the chances for success of your team and as such against the summoners code. It has to be judged carefully though. I would not punish someone for saying "noob" once as in your example, but if there is too much negativity from that player, I will.

Raptamei

07-23-2011

Calling people noobs will cause your team to lose and you to drop in elo. The issue will sort itself out because you'll sink too low to ever get queued with intelligent people again. Problem solved, no government intervention needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLothiriel View Post
However, your focus on what you consider offensive language is oil on the fires of those thinking that a language filter will solve all the problems we have with this game.
Are you Belgian/Dutch?

LadyLothiriel

07-24-2011

Quote:
Are you Belgian/Dutch?
German. Why, did I say something wrong?