Atack damage vs crit % vs Crit dmg ! Whats better?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIM7Sparrow

04-09-2010

Search function

Ebonclaw

04-09-2010

Attack Speed.

>.>

And donuts.

But no seriously, it makes a difference which champ you're talking about. For a few, Speed is pretty nice. I can think of one case where Damage is far superior to ArPen - Katarina.

Just bear in mind that while most would say ArPen is useful to the most physical champs, you can't have one runeset that will work well for all of them, like you can with AP champs.

(EDIT: Also - Search Function. )

L33tGuilty

04-09-2010

Lol for 1st few posts ...

Yea but look! I can get most of armor pen with items. Its like ... hit like wimp, crit like wimp.

So if i increase normal dmg, then i get increased crit and crit dmg.

If i increase % crit, then ill might crit more often, but crit will be less then it could be.

At 3th place i have an option of increasing crit dmg. So 1st i need to crit and then comes the increased dmg.

So at the end, increased dmg will have max effect!

But then, there are items that can increase all 3 of these schools.

So small amount of armor penetration and dmg ?

Carados

04-09-2010

How are you getting more then 45 Armor Penetration from items?

L33tGuilty

04-09-2010

Whel ... if there is a armor stacking fella, then ill go last whisper, and the black cleaver. If its really alot of amor, add brutalizer. see !

12x5 = 60 + 15 = 75 + 40% of defender armor.

So ...

KittenCommander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

armor pen

Carados

04-09-2010

See, your first problem is your build has both Last Whisper and Black Cleaver in it.

xahhfink6

04-09-2010

Yes, blackcleaver with lastwhisper is bad, because their armor is reduced before the 40% is taken off, and blackcleaver is just generally a bad item (use the search function, it has been heavily discussed)

If you were able to increase your damage that much with attack damage runes, then yes they might be useful, but the increase in damage is FAR inferior to what you can do with armor pen runes.

The other thing to realize is that armor pen is more useful the lower their armor is (as long as it is not 0/negative)

Lets say an enemy has about 90 armor, that is a little above average but with 1 defensive item or a teammate with aegis/taric, that is about how much armor most enemies will have. If you have last whisper and brutalizer, their armor would be lowered to 30. That means that all physical attacks deal them about 24% reduced damage. If you had all attack damage marks and quints, you would be dealing 9.6*.76 = 7.3 more damage. If you have armor pen in marks and quints, totalling 30 armor pen, you will be dealing 24% more damage, meaning that as long as you have at least 30 attack power, you will be dealing more damage with armor pen. With 160 damage (a pretty low amount for a physical carry), you are dealing about 30 more damage than with attack damage.

Ebonclaw

04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhfink6 View Post
... all attack damage marks and quints, you would be dealing 9.6*.76 = 7.3 more damage. If you have armor pen in marks and quints, totalling 30 armor pen, you will be dealing 24% more damage, meaning that as long as you have at least 30 attack power, you will be dealing more damage with armor pen.
That is some seriously bad math, are you comparing the Pen to flat damage runes? With scaling, you're already at the 10 damage mark at level 6, and getting ~30 @ 18.

Not saying that you're completely wrong, just that your exaggeration of the difference in damage discounts viable reasons for choosing Damage over Pen - and there are many champ/build specific reasons to choose runes other than APen.

Genghis John

04-11-2010

Depends on the character for the most part, but as so many other people have said on this thread: Armor pen, Armor pen, Armor pen. Always Armor pen. It's a have to on virtually any physical champion.
For blue and yellow runes though it's more difficult to say what's best. I would cast my vote for crit damage or dodge being the best after that. Attack speed runes and damage runes I never found to be that useful though I suppose on some characters, like perhaps Warwick, attack speed might be a viable choice and damage might be good if you're playing Kat.

(also, health can be a decent choice on pretty much anyone.)

Though, again, all of this is only theoretical, runes almost entirely depends on the character you're playing, pretty much all physical champions have very different skills and play styles.