I am new, yeah, sorry. But...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nushi

04-09-2010

I am new to this, but, a long time Dota fan, in fact I still try to play it on BNet, but, I don't see it hosted much these days and the host bots are always empty.

Okay, I hear that the heroes are slightly different here, are there any of the original Dota heroes here, or did they change that based on Copyright? If so, what are good heroes here that are easy to use until I get used to this new system of gameplay?

Thanks

Asylumseeker

04-09-2010

Ashe is always a good starting point as she is a good ranged player thats easy to play.

However from the free rotation Sivir is probably easiest to start off with.

Vindico Atrum

04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylumseeker View Post
Ashe is always a good starting point as she is a good ranged player thats easy to play.

However from the free rotation Sivir is probably easiest to start off with.
No. No no no no no. No. Ashe is terrible to start with.

At OP - Don;t start with Ashe at all. You'll feed ALOT, ruin games, and be generally useless. Go for tanks. Less chance of dying, more chance of helping. At least until you know what every single champion can do. Alistar is a good bet.

Tom Bombadil

04-09-2010

Alistar is hard to play when you first start out in my opinion.

Eladir

04-09-2010

There are similar characters but not the same. Just pick someone from those that you can choose, depending on what champions you like (tank, melee, ranged, support) and how "easy" they are. Play some practice game....you'll adjust in no time.

Asylumseeker

04-09-2010

I would disagree obsession, but then again i think playing a ranged to start with makes more sense. Easier to play defensively.

Playing a melee means rushing in to the action and likely to be slaughtered.

Wra7h

04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
No. No no no no no. No. Ashe is terrible to start with.

At OP - Don;t start with Ashe at all. You'll feed ALOT, ruin games, and be generally useless. Go for tanks. Less chance of dying, more chance of helping. At least until you know what every single champion can do. Alistar is a good bet.
Thats not true. I started with Katarina and when I made 500 IP I got Ashe. The results from my 1st 12 games were 10-2 w/l ratio.
Ashe is may be the best champion to start with!

Edit: Remember that unlike DotA here you can buff your Spells with Ability powah, even if the champion is melee...

Grinningsphinx

04-09-2010

Ashe is very easy to start with, i agree. Having the most games won with Ashe(1/4) i think id know).

cats

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

I recommend playing Heroes of Newerth and if you are new at League of Legends I recommend picking a ranged dps character. Start with ranged dps, then changed it up with melee dps, next try tanking, then ability power heroes, and finally support. At the minimum you should play with bots until your KDA ratio is at least 2:1:1 for practice matches.

Heroes of Newerth is now in open beta

DarkenDragon

04-09-2010

my advice is take everything you know about dota and toss it out the window, start from scratch and you'll do a lot better

this game has many differences from dota, the style of game play is the same in terms of being a tug of war kinda thing where you try to get into and destroy the enemy base, but the mechanics are all different

1. there is a new stat called ability power which can increase certain spell damage/absorbstion, each spell has a different ratio and this stat will affect each spell differently (for balance reason)

2. crit is a base stat and not a special ability obtained from an item, so this mean every champion has the ability to crit and can be a big part of majority of enemies, theres no real counter to this besides armor to reduce the damage done

3. cooldown reductions is another new stat that you must take into consieration, some heros will benifit a lot from this stat, some wont, learn their skills and how often you use them and weither or not this stat is something to invest into

4. each champion has a passive skill and 3 base skills and 1 utimate (udyr is the only exception at the moment having 4 base skills and no ultimate), you also get 2 more summoner spells so this means that you'll have 3 extra skills to look at, passives are obtained right at the beginning but can scale with levels, dont ignore them as they may be the key part of how your champion works

5. the jungle of every map has monsters who if you kill will give you a buff, unlike dota where they are just lying in the rivers and you just have to touch. controllling these rune buffs can be very important and be very benifital to your group.

seems like those are the major differences I can think of, and hope this helps change your mind set when playing