Worst Udyr Ever

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GayLord McD

08-21-2010

Title says it all.
No matter what I do, what comp I have, how many "guides" I read, I can't stop feeding when I jungle Udyr.

Seriously, any advice?
I've only done well when I lane, and even then my usefulness drops to zero once team fights happen.
Masteries, Runess, jungling guides that you've had success with. No matter how basic, I'm listening.

Sturmhard

08-21-2010

what are you trying to do in teamfights?

i dont jungle, go for a very tanky build and usually do quite well in teamfights. stun everyone who gets too close to your carry and anyone who looks like he wants to position himself for something dodgy and keep proccing phoenix on the enemy squishies. chase anyone down who runs with bear and ghost.
you will not get many kills but ensure that your team gets them.

zdrux

08-21-2010

Just upgrade tiger and turtle stances and you should be good to go. And alternate the stances midfight as fast as they are available.. through the constant stunning and you healing, your opponents should be easier to defeat.

Sturmhard

08-21-2010

tiger and turtle without tanky items doesnt work in teamfights.

its an 1 vs 1 build and since teamfights are 5 vs 5 ......go figure.

Covenant

08-21-2010

Tiger works in teamfights. Tiger with flat DPS items (black cleaver) destroys people. You won't need many DPS items to kill people with tiger, so you can pick up some armor or health. I like the Glacial Shroud, everyone can get some use from Banshee's Veil, and Udyr with Guardian Angel works fine for team-fights. You probably only need Black Cleaver, and Stark's Fervor to make a big impact in team fights. The Stark's really isn't for you, it's for your team, but it is a pretty handy item.

===UDYR: KING OF THE JUNGLE=============
-----safety (stance) dance edition----------------------

For ultimate safety in jungling use the Jungling Noob setup I was given: get a bunch of runes--if you're not level 20+ (I'm level 13), use Tier 1 runes because they're cheap. Set up your masteries for armor, the XP buff, and extended neutral critter buffs. Armor and attack speed are good to start out with, because those are important at level 1.

Spells are Smite and Heal. You could also do Smite and Ignite I suppose, but heal saves you in case the enemy crits you unexpectedly often. Once we graduate to non-noob status, ghost or ignite will be better picks.

Start with Red Elixer and 5 health pots. Once you don't suck you can swap out the elixer. Pick level 1 Tiger Stance but don't use it yet. Move to Golem.

Once golem spawns, do these things in order, quickly but not so quickly you screw them up:

Drink Red Elixer.
Smite the golem (hopefully you're not level 30 where this is a bad idea)
Switch into Tiger Stance (hopefully you weren't before)
Use your health potion the moment you're hit (or just before)
Keep mashing tiger stance until the golem dies, using a potion when the first ends

Now clean up those two lizards: you have golem buff and are level 2. Take turtle stance. Go to the Wolves (should be wolves) near the golem and beat them to death using turtle to start off (switch after a tiger hit) and reapply turtle a few times. Since you have the golem buff you mana shouldn't be a big issue. Don't smite them. Use a potion as well, why not.

Run down through the lane. I always skip the Wraiths here. Wait a moment for health and mana to look good, so you have enough to change stances a few times. Smite will be up. Start off with a tiger strike, then switch back to turtle. Smite the Lizard boss. Use a red potion. Your health will approach half empty--use heal. You should be on cruise control, using turtle liberally, to get lizard buff. You'll have like half health again, and be level 4.

If you're lucky, there may be a gank target nearby. If not, head back and kill wolves again. You should be keeping pace with the other lanes, maybe a little faster than the 2v2 lane in terms of levels, at least roughly there.

Huzzah, you've survived the crucial early-game jungling phase and can now join a lanemate to let them port back and shop, gank someone, or cross the river to kill the enemy's creeps if you're feeling clever.

Build towards Black Cleaver. Once you get it your killing power dramatically increases and enemies will no longer stick around to fight you.

I generally go Tiger>Turtle>Turtle>Tiger>Bear>Tiger>Turtle>Bear, etc. Phoenix is last. Tiger does more single-target damage than Phoenix, and you don't need to farm if you're a jungling madman. You'll be able to kill the Dragon, sweep through the creep camps, and so forth. So long as your towers are fine, I suggest you to so, to keep Tristanas and Master Yi's from doing it and wasting the glorious Jungle Riches on characters that should have been fed already.

I don't know how many times I've caught my allies killing the Lizard when we were losing a tower because they thought coming half-dead to the fight with a lizard buff was a good idea. Smite is a great tool for killing the Lizard and Golem (and dragon) real fast, so kill those buff-givers whenever you can to deny them to your enemies or your allies.

It sounds greedy but I'll stop advocating it once Akali stops trying to kill the lizard and ending up with only 1/2 her health bar when Udyr could do it without losing any and do more in combat anyway.

C00LST0RYBR0

08-21-2010

Because UDYR has to go melee range, the only viable build is Tanky.Core items are HOG->Randuins, Catalyst->Banshee Veil, Sunfire, GA. Depends what the enemy team comp is.

Basicly in teamfights you wan't to go in, use Bear stance and stun 1-2 enemies. Focus the carry or biggest threat. They will focus you, that's why you need to get tank items. If they focus you go into Turtle Stance, then switch to Phoenix (which does AoE damage). After 5s you can use Bear to stun again.

Basicly you wan't to switch stances as much as possible, so CDR runes will help. I also suggest going 9/0/21 or 0/9/21 so you either get 15% pen and 3% CDR or 2% dodge+speed.

I've had games where I went 2/4/16 which we won, because I socked up all the damage while my team cleaned them up.

And don't listen to to this DPS udyr ****. Any melee range champion that isn't tanky is instant dead vs a competent team.

Udyr jungles very well. Get Pheonix, Bear, Turtle by level 4, max Phoenix first. Start with Cloak armor and 5 health pots. By Level 4 you should have Blue/Red double buff and if a lane is pushed go gank it (Bear->Phoenix) otherwise continue in jungle.

For dragon you have to get Madred's or help from another champion.

Sturmhard

08-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Tiger works in teamfights. Tiger with flat DPS items (black cleaver) destroys people. You won't need many DPS items to kill people with tiger, so you can pick up some armor or health. I like the Glacial Shroud, everyone can get some use from Banshee's Veil, and Udyr with Guardian Angel works fine for team-fights. You probably only need Black Cleaver, and Stark's Fervor to make a big impact in team fights. The Stark's really isn't for you, it's for your team, but it is a pretty handy item.

===UDYR: KING OF THE JUNGLE=============
-----safety (stance) dance edition----------------------

For ultimate safety in jungling use the Jungling Noob setup I was given: get a bunch of runes--if you're not level 20+ (I'm level 13), use Tier 1 runes because they're cheap. Set up your masteries for armor, the XP buff, and extended neutral critter buffs. Armor and attack speed are good to start out with, because those are important at level 1.

Spells are Smite and Heal. You could also do Smite and Ignite I suppose, but heal saves you in case the enemy crits you unexpectedly often. Once we graduate to non-noob status, ghost or ignite will be better picks.

Start with Red Elixer and 5 health pots. Once you don't suck you can swap out the elixer. Pick level 1 Tiger Stance but don't use it yet. Move to Golem.

Once golem spawns, do these things in order, quickly but not so quickly you screw them up:

Drink Red Elixer.
Smite the golem (hopefully you're not level 30 where this is a bad idea)
Switch into Tiger Stance (hopefully you weren't before)
Use your health potion the moment you're hit (or just before)
Keep mashing tiger stance until the golem dies, using a potion when the first ends

Now clean up those two lizards: you have golem buff and are level 2. Take turtle stance. Go to the Wolves (should be wolves) near the golem and beat them to death using turtle to start off (switch after a tiger hit) and reapply turtle a few times. Since you have the golem buff you mana shouldn't be a big issue. Don't smite them. Use a potion as well, why not.

Run down through the lane. I always skip the Wraiths here. Wait a moment for health and mana to look good, so you have enough to change stances a few times. Smite will be up. Start off with a tiger strike, then switch back to turtle. Smite the Lizard boss. Use a red potion. Your health will approach half empty--use heal. You should be on cruise control, using turtle liberally, to get lizard buff. You'll have like half health again, and be level 4.

If you're lucky, there may be a gank target nearby. If not, head back and kill wolves again. You should be keeping pace with the other lanes, maybe a little faster than the 2v2 lane in terms of levels, at least roughly there.

Huzzah, you've survived the crucial early-game jungling phase and can now join a lanemate to let them port back and shop, gank someone, or cross the river to kill the enemy's creeps if you're feeling clever.

Build towards Black Cleaver. Once you get it your killing power dramatically increases and enemies will no longer stick around to fight you.

I generally go Tiger>Turtle>Turtle>Tiger>Bear>Tiger>Turtle>Bear, etc. Phoenix is last. Tiger does more single-target damage than Phoenix, and you don't need to farm if you're a jungling madman. You'll be able to kill the Dragon, sweep through the creep camps, and so forth. So long as your towers are fine, I suggest you to so, to keep Tristanas and Master Yi's from doing it and wasting the glorious Jungle Riches on characters that should have been fed already.

I don't know how many times I've caught my allies killing the Lizard when we were losing a tower because they thought coming half-dead to the fight with a lizard buff was a good idea. Smite is a great tool for killing the Lizard and Golem (and dragon) real fast, so kill those buff-givers whenever you can to deny them to your enemies or your allies.

It sounds greedy but I'll stop advocating it once Akali stops trying to kill the lizard and ending up with only 1/2 her health bar when Udyr could do it without losing any and do more in combat anyway.
sry but i disagree in mostly all of the points you made here.

1.) First of all: Smite and Heal. Very bad combination for an Udyr and it CRIPPLES your escape and chasing ability. You cant initiate well on a fight, you cannot chase down enemies efficiently and you cannot free yourself from hairy CC-situations.
A big part of Udyr is to have ghost and to have cleanse.

2.) Jungling. You waste 2 summoner spells for jungling......Smite and heal. And in the end you manage to keep roughly up with the 2vs2 lane. Great job of making life miserable for most of the solo-heros in normal matchmaking and being not efficient at all. And you just wasted a lot of gold for not having any starting items but a elixir which is about to run out.

3.) Items: Glacial shroud, Banshees Veil, Guardian Angel, Starks and Black cleaver^^

Anything else? How much money do you earn in your games to get all these items? If you dont get damage-items early, tiger is a waste of resources and skills. Teamfights do not start at level 18 you know. When you start with black cleaver and starks - have fun being bursted down as one of the prime-targets. And all that with lacking any escape abilities, which usually come from ghost and cleanse.

If OP wants to stay frustrated: go ahead and try this build^^

I guess it might work if you are only lvl 13, but if you raise up in levels and face more experienced opponents this guide will get you killed on a consistent basis.

C00LST0RYBR0

08-21-2010

Don't do dps builds, they aren't viable unless you are extremly fed (where it doesn't matter much what you get anyway). Versus any decent team, any non-tanky melee champion is focused dead in 2 seconds.

Summoners are Ghost (with Bear you outrun everyone but Rammus) and Smite for Jungling.

DayInTheSun

08-21-2010

A lot of people try to make Udyr into this melee DPS but there are honestly so many champs better for that role. For the majority of the fight you're going to be using bear to get the enemies' attention and then turtle for when they focus you. If they decide not to, then switch to phoenix for some AoE and rotate in bear to keep them off your carries.

When someone picks Udyr on your team don't be too surprised if he isn't exactly melting squishies and complain ("omg our Udyr didn't go DPS and we do no damage" is usually what is said by an Ashe who rushed Wit's End).

Siegebreaker

08-21-2010

I like Randuins>Banshees> then situational items. If we need damage, I grab a madreds early, and either go wriggles for the ward or bloodrazors for a bit of extra damage on this meta games high hp champs.

Udyr is an easy jungle using pheonix stance. Some people say turle, but thats gotta be slow? Pheonix is quick, and with smite you're done with hp to spare.

Working on udyr jungle w/o Smite. Do able? Defense masteries perhaps...