%pen vs flat pen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carleton

04-08-2010

Which applies first? I know that magic resistance reduction applies first and from what I have read it goes %pen and then flat pen. Am I right or does it go flat pen then %pen?

ReeYAwN

04-08-2010

I believe it's the Flat first... so if they have 80 magic resist and you have a voidstaff (40% pen) and Sorc boots (+20 flat Magic pen) it would be 80-20=60, 60*(1-.4)=36

If it were the other way around it would be 80*(1-.4)= 48- 20= 28. Which seems ok... but look at champions like nidalee

15% from masteries, 40% from voidstaff and another 20%-40% from traps, puts you @ 95% magic pen... so look at it again. 80*(1-.95) = 4 4-20 = -16... throw 2 more magic pen items on that and ur at -56. I could be wrong but i think that's like 130% magic damage... doesn't really seem right... where as calculated the other way

80-60 (all 3 magic pen items avaliable)= 20 20*(1-.95)=1, which seems more reasonable to me... but who knows ><

wildfire393

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleton View Post
Which applies first? I know that magic resistance reduction applies first and from what I have read it goes %pen and then flat pen. Am I right or does it go flat pen then %pen?
Reduction (Abilities, Stark's, Abyssal, Black Cleaver) first, can go negative
Then % Penetration
Then Flat Penetration (cannot go negative)

Edit: Hm.. I didn't realize Nidalee had a % reduction.

I'm pretty sure it goes -
% reduction
Flat Reduction
% Penetration
Flat Penetration

So if they get hit by Nid's level 5 trap, and you have a Voidstaff, Abyssal, and 10 pen from Runes, and they start with 100 MR:

-40% Reduction - 60 MR
-20 Reduction from Abyssal - 40 MR
40% Penetration from Void - 24 MR
10 from Runes - 14 MR

Carleton

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Reduction (Abilities, Stark's, Abyssal, Black Cleaver) first, can go negative
Then % Penetration
Then Flat Penetration (cannot go negative)

Edit: Hm.. I didn't realize Nidalee had a % reduction.

I'm pretty sure it goes -
% reduction
Flat Reduction
% Penetration
Flat Penetration

So if they get hit by Nid's level 5 trap, and you have a Voidstaff, Abyssal, and 10 pen from Runes, and they start with 100 MR:

-40% Reduction - 60 MR
-20 Reduction from Abyssal - 40 MR
40% Penetration from Void - 24 MR
10 from Runes - 14 MR
Thanks wildfire, I figured that how it worked. I'm glad that you posted here because I found all of my initial information from a fiddlesticks guide (http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...er+Go+Negative!) that quotes a post you made about how these different attributes work.