Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

%pen vs flat pen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carleton

04-08-2010

Which applies first? I know that magic resistance reduction applies first and from what I have read it goes %pen and then flat pen. Am I right or does it go flat pen then %pen?

ReeYAwN

04-08-2010

I believe it's the Flat first... so if they have 80 magic resist and you have a voidstaff (40% pen) and Sorc boots (+20 flat Magic pen) it would be 80-20=60, 60*(1-.4)=36

If it were the other way around it would be 80*(1-.4)= 48- 20= 28. Which seems ok... but look at champions like nidalee

15% from masteries, 40% from voidstaff and another 20%-40% from traps, puts you @ 95% magic pen... so look at it again. 80*(1-.95) = 4 4-20 = -16... throw 2 more magic pen items on that and ur at -56. I could be wrong but i think that's like 130% magic damage... doesn't really seem right... where as calculated the other way

80-60 (all 3 magic pen items avaliable)= 20 20*(1-.95)=1, which seems more reasonable to me... but who knows ><

wildfire393

04-08-2010

Quote:
Carleton:
Which applies first? I know that magic resistance reduction applies first and from what I have read it goes %pen and then flat pen. Am I right or does it go flat pen then %pen?

Reduction (Abilities, Stark's, Abyssal, Black Cleaver) first, can go negative
Then % Penetration
Then Flat Penetration (cannot go negative)

Edit: Hm.. I didn't realize Nidalee had a % reduction.

I'm pretty sure it goes -
% reduction
Flat Reduction
% Penetration
Flat Penetration

So if they get hit by Nid's level 5 trap, and you have a Voidstaff, Abyssal, and 10 pen from Runes, and they start with 100 MR:

-40% Reduction - 60 MR
-20 Reduction from Abyssal - 40 MR
40% Penetration from Void - 24 MR
10 from Runes - 14 MR

Carleton

04-08-2010

Quote:
wildfire393:
Reduction (Abilities, Stark's, Abyssal, Black Cleaver) first, can go negative
Then % Penetration
Then Flat Penetration (cannot go negative)

Edit: Hm.. I didn't realize Nidalee had a % reduction.

I'm pretty sure it goes -
% reduction
Flat Reduction
% Penetration
Flat Penetration

So if they get hit by Nid's level 5 trap, and you have a Voidstaff, Abyssal, and 10 pen from Runes, and they start with 100 MR:

-40% Reduction - 60 MR
-20 Reduction from Abyssal - 40 MR
40% Penetration from Void - 24 MR
10 from Runes - 14 MR

Thanks wildfire, I figured that how it worked. I'm glad that you posted here because I found all of my initial information from a fiddlesticks guide (http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/85,Fiddlesticks;+Never+Go+Negative!) that quotes a post you made about how these different attributes work.