Tiamat: Why it sucks and how it can be improved

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

false idol

09-22-2009

I assume by people's distaste of tiamat that it doesn't apply other effects proc'd by your physical attacks. If it doesn't, then giving it that would be a decent-good upgrade, plus it adds more usability to items like sheen, wit's end, and especially malady (especially because it almost never gets taken as is, like tiamat)

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpb View Post
Let it be an upgrade for philosopher's stone.

Fixzored!
Funny, I suggested that a loooooooong time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusAudley View Post
If the item is meant to be a Farming Item, I propose this change:

Pick Axe (975G)
Philosopher's Stone (1115G)
Combine - 500G

Effects:
+35 Damage
+20 HP/5
+10 MP/5
+5 Gold/10
+Passive Splash in an area around your target. (Slightly larger than current, no more than ~50)

This will encourage the 'zomg gold over time' players to go for it, while giving them lane survivability and a moderate splash. The size of the splash is the biggest drawback right now.

Lollerman

09-22-2009

Quote:
Funny, I suggested that a loooooooong time ago.
Yeah this thread got necro'd.

Sorta.

Mort

09-22-2009

i would absolutely use ANY of the new Tiamats suggested in this thread. of course, balance would need to be addressed, but i think that all of these recipes are really great suggestions for what SHOULD be a great weapon

BigCat

09-23-2009

Hrm. I briefly tried Tiamat on Alistar as a way of pushing harder (to get more time on towers). I liked that it progressed through +damage items, having already tons of health, but in the end, for about the same cost, Sunfire Cape seems to make a lot more sense me now. It's not tied to your attack, has a generous PBAoE range, and has great tank stats. The only downside is that there's no sub-450g component item to buy off the start.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but is there a scenario in which Tiamat > Sunfire for a melee champion?

jokeeeer

09-23-2009

Only hero I go Tiamat on is Corki (on which its frikking amazing). For all other heroes its low splash radius makes it pretty much useless.

SumTinWong

09-23-2009

i tried tiamats (yes more than one!) with different heroes and well.. i was able to gain some double kills with it it is far stronger then some people actually thing

but still that was at late game :/ getting it early kind of doesn't help you with anything
even if you have a tiamat and attack champions that are very close to each other.. most champions will out-damage you (even in a 1vs1 of course)

rather than making tiamat cheaper i would like to see the splash area increased (even if it becomes more expensive - i would love a bigger splash area)

btw tiamat isn't unique (i heard that so often and i absolutely don't know why)
2 tiamats give you 100% splash in a small area

well that's just my opinion, still haven't tested tiamat with sion and some other heroes - guess i will give it a try soon

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeeeer View Post
Only hero I go Tiamat on is Corki (on which its frikking amazing). For all other heroes its low splash radius makes it pretty much useless.
Cause Corki doesn't have enough natural AoE, right?

Mort

09-23-2009

Quote:
Cause Corki doesn't have enough natural AoE, right?
good call, but i think he's saying the "E" ability for corki with the Tiamat might multiply the damage because the AoE would stack on the normal ability damage....wouldnt it?

Ca8UfM31mO9xRYRT

09-24-2009

I suspect the AoE does stack but it'd still be better to just build a damage item (or AP item) and use that on Corki.
I tried this on Cho'gath long ago and was pleased with the results, but I also didn't shop around to make sure I was maximizing my damage so I don't know if it was my *best* option.