How do you practice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Statician

08-10-2011

This it a bit of a long post so bear with me.

I've recently started playing ranked and so far I'm doing ok, winning here, losing there, but I feel i need to learn more champs, and so I had decided to try mastering champs in normals. I've played these champs before in CO-OP games so it's not my first time with them, so I do ok, but in most of these games my lose rate is extremely high compared to when I had played normals with my 'main' champions.

The issue is that I'm trying to practice for ranked games, but normals don't seem to play out like ranked games do. Because you can't see who your opponents are playing, the game seems to be decided on team composition long before the game starts.

For example, amumu is my main, and in normals I mostly played him when i jungled, but now I'm trying to jungle xin zhao. As nice as xin's jungle is I feel like I'm gimping the team simply by not playing amumu. It's too often that the opposing team has a katarina and I just then notice that we lack any hard cc, or perhaps the opposing team has support+carry bottom and we don't have an 'answer' to that lane.

So, that being said, those of you who play ranked and have decent elo, how and where do you practice any champions that you are new to? Do you simply play in normals knowing you might not win? Do you play scrimmage games in custom? Or do you just wing it and play those champions in ranked, and simply hope you don't screw up and get better from there? Or something else?

Ute

08-10-2011

I generally try new champs in normals for a while before I venture to ranked, but I end up "learning" them in ranked anyway. My advice is play normals until you know your champion, then just take the Elo hit and play ranked.

If you have an ego to fill, try the new champ out expecting to lose a bit and then swap to your main champ and gain all the Elo back.

To do well you need to understand not only your champion but other champions also, and you need to know them fairly well. I personally learned a lot of the champs just by playing ARAM games. ARAM is pretty useless at teaching you about LoL, but it does teach you about team fighting and how to deal with hard situations and it gets you familiar with things you wouldnt normally choose to. I dont necessarily recommend following my footsteps though.

ReFFi

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ute View Post
I generally try new champs in normals for a while before I venture to ranked, but I end up "learning" them in ranked anyway. My advice is play normals until you know your champion, then just take the Elo hit and play ranked.

If you have an ego to fill, try the new champ out expecting to lose a bit and then swap to your main champ and gain all the Elo back.

To do well you need to understand not only your champion but other champions also, and you need to know them fairly well. I personally learned a lot of the champs just by playing ARAM games. ARAM is pretty useless at teaching you about LoL, but it does teach you about team fighting and how to deal with hard situations and it gets you familiar with things you wouldnt normally choose to. I dont necessarily recommend following my footsteps though.
I completely agree with the last paragraph. As stupid as most people think ARAM is (well my friends for the most part think it's ******ed), I have learned so many champs from playing ARAM, ADAM, ARAZ. Plus its kind of a nice break from normal/ranked.

TravA G

08-13-2011

Well what I used to do was play a champ in normals and play about 40-50 games after that you should have him/her figured out really really well some champs are easier to master than others. What does it matter if you lose in a normal its a bunch of really bad players trying out new champs as long as u get to learn your champ you are good to go.